The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1
slowr1der

Question about powder measure?

So this is about the RCBS Uniflow powder measure. In the manual for it it says to run a pound of powder through it to get all the film and stuff out. My question is after running this powder through can you put it back in to use it to load your rounds. Or does it contaminate it? I'm just wondering if it wastes a pound of powder or if you can still use it?
Old April 6, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
zippy13

Oops... you misread the instructions. The object of running a pound of powder through your new measure is to deposit a layer of film, not remove it. Yes, by all means, re-use the powder.
Old April 6, 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
slowr1der

Oh okay, I did misread them then. Glad to hear you can re use it. BTW since this thing seems oily am I correct in thinking you probably want to clean it off before using it?
Old April 6, 2010, 12:24 AM   #4
zippy13

Yes, there should be a pic in your instructions showing where to remove the factory corrosion inhibitor. The instructions warn: …the measuring cylinder, measuring screw, inside of main casing and powder funnel portion of main casing must be cleaned to remove the factory rust preventative. Failure to do so will cause inconsistent powder charges.

As with all things shooting related, it's important for the safety of all that your peruse the instruction manuals that come with your reloading gear. If you get some used item without instructions, on-line downloads are usually available. We don't wanna have to re-moniker you slowreader
Old April 6, 2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

When mine was new I wiped the drums and stems down really good with some acetone to remove all of the oily stuff on them. Then after that I wiped a light coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on the outsides of the drum just to help keep any surface rust from forming. ( I live in a pretty high humidity area)

I used a slow ball powder to run through mine as was recommended by an old gunsmith friend. He said it carried a higher graphite content and would lube everything else up quicker. So far so good. I have only had one instance where I had to break it all down again to re-polish or wax it up in about 30 years. Since then however, I have added three more to my collection, all with the same treatments.

Good luck with yours, I know I have come to really depend on mine.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Headgear

You can also get graphite powder at the hardware store and shake it around and run it through the drum to get about ten years worth of coating in a few minutes. A senior member told me to try that and it seemed to work great. Passing on hints and wisdom is what makes this forum great.

Good luck, be safe!