The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1
dayman

New to Black Powder.

I was at a gun show today looking for a GP100, and bought a TC Grey Hawk for $100 instead.
They're not for everyone, but I like SS guns, and at that price I was also able to order a walnut stock, and a set of Williams fire-sights and still come in under $200.
Now, I have wanted to start shooting BP for awhile now, but only passively so I haven't done a lot of research into what all I need to know.
I know I want to shoot/cast balls as apposed to sabots, but that's about it.

I think the best place to start is probably going to be a book, so I was wondering if you all had any recommendations on that front.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Beagle333

I started with "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook, revised and expanded edition" by Sam Fadala and it really helped me a lot and gives lots of background info. That was sometime back in late 80's, so I'm sure it's way on up in editions by now.

Welcome to Black Powder and you sure saved a hunk o' change over that GP!

looking around for the newest one.... I see here that you can get the 5th edition on Kindle for only 15 bucks. Print versions of these things are usually pricey.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-B...owder+handbook
or Barnes and Noble has the Nook edition for $16.49
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...ala/1004774024

'Either one of them, and you can be reading up on BP tonight!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
North East Redneck

I also started with and still refer to "The Complete Black Powder Handbook" by Sam Fadala. Great read.
Mine says-'DBI Black Powder Library' on the front cover. Its 288 pages and covers a ton of different info.
Library of Congress -#79-54268.
Great book. My copy was given to me by the shop owner when I bought my first repro revolver.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
dayman

Cool, thanks. I have a kindle, so that works out well.
Most of the print books I found cost close to what the rifle did.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Dayman

Welcome to the forum and to the way of life.

I am not an inline shooter but I do congratulate you on the deal you made.

Again....Welcome
Old April 7, 2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Pahoo

Welcome aboard !!

You are in for a whole bunch of fun. You also made a great deal, on that TC Grey-Hawk as it is a good brush gun. I'm just jealous I didn't run into it. Be careful, for even though it has a SS finish, it will still rust out if you don't keep and eye on it. .....

I too recommend Sam Fadala's books. Lyman has current issue on one of his books. I happen to own about five of his books and when I run into a young student, I loan one of my books out. Don't forget to come back and ask as there a bunch of great guys in here, willing to be supportive. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 7, 2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

Be carefully or you'll catch the BP bug! It's highly contagious. You may even spread it to your friends and family. Welcome to the brotherhood. I do recommend casting your own balls/bullets. It will save loads of cash in the long run and gives you some great satisfaction to boot.

Welcome Boomer
Old April 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8
dayman

balls

I was going to cast my own balls, but I found a guy locally who sells them @ $8/100, so I figure there's no rush.
The only thing I don't like about the gun so far is the plastic stock, but I have high hopes that the walnut stock I have on the way will improve it's looks. I'd also like to add a brass buttplate, fore-end cap, trigger guard, and patch box. But I'm holding off on any more decisions until I have everything together. I'm not sure how the brass and matte SS would look together.
Anyway, here's a picture.

Old April 8, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Beagle333

That looks like a lot of fun! And it looks like you have found a great price on balls too. You're well on the way to your great new addiction.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Pahoo

Excellent !!

Hey dayman
Looks like you picked up one of the TC Peep sights with your deal. That little guy is worth at least $50.00. So, not only did you pick up a sweet deal, you got some icing on that cake. Nice work !!!

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #11
David13

I have found countless videos online about every aspect of it, with a real live person doing it.
Tho' I have had to, or was required to read at least a couple thousand books thru out my life.
Maybe that's why I now like the videos.
dc
Old April 8, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Unless it feels short stocked on your shoulder. I wouldn't change a thing. I think you should know up front Dayman. If and when you change out the stocks you may find the original Barrel Under Rib either too long or too short to compliment your wooden stock properly.

Quote:
I know I want to shoot/cast balls as apposed to sabots, but that's about it.
"Now that's a comment many here in this column like to hear."_
Old April 9, 2013, 04:35 AM   #13
dayman

I'm hoping the stock should work. It's a stock from the "New Englander" which was identical, just blued with a wooden stock. I've read on a couple forums that it's a drop in fit (I believe the NE could actually be had with the composite stock that's on my GH). Worst case scenario I won the auction cheap, so I can re-sell the stock on ebay and probably break even.
I'd like to buy a blank and make one entirely on my own, but that seems more like a next winter project.

I have a week Vacation coming up, so all I need now is some powder, and caps and I should be good to go.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:03 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well that's good to hear you got this stock deal all pre-plan'ed out. I tried to do that exact thing to one of my rifles and at the time I didn't take the time to check things out. And what I wrote previously, actually happened to me. (Short rib by a couple inches) Anyway. Don't forget to pick up a can of Ballistol for barrel cleaning. Stuff works good even for a patch lube. By the way nice rifle.~~you did OK on its price too._

S/S