The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 13, 2012, 08:57 AM   #26
surfersami

It does look like there is a K&F or something stamped in front of the serial number.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #27
SDC

Well, there's no chamber length in the proofs, so that means it's chambered for the short (2 1/2") shells, and you've been really lucky that it didn't let go on you. The proofs are the pre-WW2 pattern, so it's likely that this gun was finished in the white by Simson, and then completed by someone else; are there any marks on the bottom of the gun, in front of the trigger? Also, are there any marks on the water table (the flat part in front of the firing pins, on the main part of the shotgun)?
Old December 13, 2012, 10:39 AM   #28
surfersami

There are no other marks in front of the trigger, there are Nitro stamped on each barrel, with an eagle proof.
I had the chambers measured and was told they are 2 3/4", so I will have that double checked. My uncle use to duck hunt with this gun, and I have used it for dove, quail, pheasant, and sporting clays. It is a nice bird gun, and it has a nice length of pull. My uncle was well over 6', and I am 6'3", and it fits me like a glove. I won't shoot it again until I have the chambers checked once more.
Is there a list of what the proof marks mean somewhere?
Old December 13, 2012, 12:32 PM   #29
SDC

If this gun was initially proofed for Simson, it should have one of Simson's maker's marks on the water table (usually an "S" in the middle of 3 triangles that look like mountains); the crown "W" shows that this gun was proofed with choked barrels, and the crowned eagle and eagle over "U" show the initial and final proof. If the chambers are 2 3/4" now, that means the chambers were lengthened after it was brought back, and the smith who lengthened them didn't bother to mark it on the flats.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:31 PM   #30
PetahW

"IF" the chambers were professionally measured @ 2-3/4", and not by an amateur, then it's "possible" that the gun's chambers were lengthened & reproofed, since the barrel flats carry post-1950 inspection & nitro proofmarks from Suhl, E.Germany.

I say "lengthened", because the original, "shot" 2-9/16" (65mm) chamber markings (circled "16") are still in evidence, and apparently were not updated to "16-70" (2-3/4") when the work was done.

Your pic is out of focus for the area of the barrel undersides just forward of the barrel flats, but it looks like there's a Simson maker's mark there.

How about a better pic, and a pic of the action watertable/flat ?