The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
abraxian

magnum primers with 4198 ok???

I inadvertently loaded my 45-70 with magnum primers and 27gr of IMR 4198. This is a very accurate low power load. I have fired a number of them in my Ruger #1 will no ill effects. I also loaded some HOT rounds with 43 gr of same powder and have not fired them yet. Any opionions??
Old August 29, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You didn't say what type (cast, jacketed) or weight of bullet you are using, but as long as that first load is as low as you say and worked well in the past, you should not have a hazard per se. Your velocity and pressure will increase some, but that is usually a matter of being equivalent to 5% or less of the powder charge at the most, so about a grain's difference for you. You're actually likely to find your muzzle velocity variation is reduced, shot-to-shot. You can do still better by placing a small tuft of polyester pillow stuffing over the powder before seating the bullet. That keeps the powder against the flash hole.

I can't offer any opinion on the bigger load without the bullet information. Also would need the length of the bullet and the COL you seat it to.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 29, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I agree with Unclenick, you should always include the particulars for all components when asking questions in here (bullet and actual primer, especially). However, unless you are using a bullet heavier than 400 grains for the 43 grains 4198 rounds, those should be safe in your Ruger #1 only. (In case someone in the future reads this and wants to try that in a trapdoor.)

Have you chronoed that low power round? Does it even get supersonic? As Unclenick implied, powder position for that small an amount of powder in a huge case like the 45-70 is going to be a problem for consistency.

Now, I've got to ask - why didn't you know you were using magnum primers? I can certainly understand needing to use them if they are all you can purchase these days, but that doesn't sound like the problem in this case.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4
abraxian

magnum primers

Answer to why the magnum primers: First MISTAKE in 40 years of reloading.

I am shootiing Laser Cast 405 gr bullets.
I use toilet paper on top of the 27gr load and have excellent 100 yard groups.
Don't know the velocity but will check one day.
Thanks for the answers.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If that bullet is 1 inch long and seated out to 2.550", then QuickLOAD thinks the 43 grain load will run about 35,000 psi with a standard primer. By guestimation, the magnum primer might raise that closer to 40,000. Both are fine in the Ruger #1 and would probably be OK in the Marlin 1895. It it too high for most of the rest of the field, though.

I noticed that Hodgdon has recently stopped buying IMR4198 from the Canadian plant that makes the other IMR stick powders for rifle. They have substituted an ADI powder, AR2215. It is not the same ADI powder they use for H4198, which is AR2207. That surprises me since the AR2207 characteristics are very close to those of the original IMR4198. My QuickLOAD numbers are based on the original Canadian made powder. AR2215 is not in its database. I am bringing this up because I want to suggest that if you get the newer Australian-made IMR4198, you would be wise to reduce your high loads and work them back up again.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle