The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #1
berettaprofessor

22LR/22WMR revolvers; accuracy?

For revolvers that are manufactured and sold with two cylinders, 22LR and 22WMR, how does that affect the accuracy of the 22LR component? I don't know how it works and would guess that the 22LR has a farther "jump" into the forcing cone...making them less accurate than a 22LR only revolver. Right or wrong?
Old March 15, 2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Bob Wright

I have had experience with only one such revolver, a Ruger Three Screw Super Single Six.

I used the magnum cylinder often, using the old .22 WRF cartridges for squirrel hunting. At times loaded up with .22 WMR for pests, crows etc.

I only occassionally used the L.R. cylinder, and not so much for fine target work as general plinking. If I lost any accuracy, it was not apparent to me.

Bob Wright
Old March 15, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Newton24b

accuracy is fine. each weapon will be slightly different based upon tolerances and ammunition used.

the only issues will be this, the 22 mag uses a larger bullet diameter the the 22lr,22l,22 short. as a result the barrel is sized for 22 mag projectiles. that means the standard 22 lrs have a big of extra bumping up to do. so accuracy will suffer slightly.

just like what happens when a black hawk convertible is used with the 9mm cylinder. a little freebore.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Shooting off-hand, the difference between LR & Mag out of the same barrel is negligible.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5
weblance

I can get 2" groups from my 5.5" Single Six, rested, at 25 yards, with the LR cylinder, and the ammo the gun likes. Good enough for anything I will ever need.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:50 AM   #6
rodfac

Here's a pic of my wife's 40 yr. old Ruger Single Six Convertible. That piece of masking tape is 2" square, and the group was shot at 25 yds from a sitting, back rest position. Ammunition was cheap bulk Remington .22 lr HP...the Golden Bullet type. The gun's capable of 1.5" gps with .22 Magnum ammunition as well, tho we don't use it much due to the cost. Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Rogervzv

Ruger claims, and I believe them, that they have experimented with various barrel dimensions, and having the Single Six barrel also accommodate the .22 WMR round did not affect accuracy at all as measured by tests.

At any rate our Single Six is dead-on accurate, limited only by the shooter.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
hammie

The shorter sight radius of my 4 5/8 single six probably has more impact on grouping than anything else. In any case, I've never been able to tell any difference in accuracy between the .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders.

Mr Wright has a good suggestion about using .22 WRF as an everyday load. I've been wanting to try that, but good luck trying to find ANY rimfire ammunition right now.