The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

Jamming Pump Actions?

I've always had a problem with short stroking my R870's and other pumps. It ends up to where the shell gets stuck during feeding because I apparently didn't pull the pump all the way back. I know you are supposed to wrack it with authority, and I'd practiced several thousand rounds at the range no problem.

But when I'm hunting, I guess under the stress of trying to shoot, I don't pump it all the way. It's getting to the point where I don't even trust myself with pumps anymore for home defense cause when the chips are down and the stress is high I jam it, no matter the pump shotgun and no matter how much I practice.

Should I switch to a semi auto shotgun? Is there a semi auto shotgun I could use for both dove hunting and home defense?
Old December 31, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Any semi can do both chores, however whether you can find a short barrel will depend on maker and your needs.
If HD to you means hunkering down in one room and calling 911, then barrel length does not matter.
IF HD to you means navigating a house with narrow hallways, then that is something else
Old December 31, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
M1Rifle30-06

Sounds to me like you might want a beretta 391?

Although may be a bit long for HD
Old December 31, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Getting used to "cycling with authority" is just a discipline you need to practice so it is second nature...

Junior had a new Super Mag Express 870 and he was getting cycle failures nearly every round... So I watched him, had him load me a tube full and showed him how these actions need manipulated...

If you try to simulate the speed and force of a semi, it will likely be nearly flawless...

Brent
Old January 1, 2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Pyzon

I have had a problem with Ithaca 37's over the years only when wearing heavy and thick coats that evidently made my pumping arm too short for a full stroke. Maybe a shotgun that does not fit the shooter would have the same problem. Obviously a high stress tactical situation makes all kinds of misfeed stuff happen.

Practice, train, and practice some more.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
PawPaw

If I was switching to a semi for dove hunting and home defense, I'd be tempted to get something like this. LINKY

That 21 inch barrel would be just the ticket for both dove hunting and self defense. Assuming, of course, proper fit.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 2, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

FN SLP MKI. Comes with a 22-inch barrel and you can get extra barrels in 26 or 28-inch lengths. Takes about 2-3 minutes to change the barrel. The barrels use standard Invector chokes so choke tubes are easy to find. Send the gun to SRM Performance for the SureCycle system and have them do the "reliability tuneup" and you'll have a soft shooting, totally reliable, semi-auto shotgun.