The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 6, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Dmanbass

How is a "snap cap" made?

I am trying to use 6 empty shells for dry firing practice and wondered if many of you have made any. I am trying to get the primer out but without success. I dont want to damage the shell facing. Any idead? Do you all use silicone in the "homemade" kind? Thanks in advance.
Old March 6, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Coop de Ville

I was able to remove the primer by using a thin nail or brad. I then filled the cup with silicone. Seemed to hold for a while. If it's the type that can fire repeatedly without cycling(lever gun or single action) it may be worth it to buy a snap cap....

OW try the silicone or hot glue gun..

actually, you could probably just use a spent round.. the primer should still be able to dampen the firing pin over and over...

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old March 6, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Gbro

For the most part, snap caps are unnecessary. I have been told that the Winchester Model 12 shouldn't be dry fired without a dummy or snap cap.
But if you remove the primer on a spent case, you might as well not use anything. The firing pin will be limited in travel by the spent primer, or snap cap.
The color of a snap cap (red) is better than to use a spent case, as we look in a chamber for "brass", Well, One could mistake a brass cartridge for a brass case dummy.
Then for feeding, We use dummys (spent primer, case, bullet) BUT this round "MUST be drilled(a hole through case) to identify a dummy round. Red stain like a marking pen helps also, but doesn't last very long.
I don't use anything but caution (no ammo present)(check chamber each time gun is picked up) And I dry fire a lot.
Old March 7, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Dmanbass

Gbro, do you find dry firing helps your trigger finger and aim much? I am just starting to dry fire and am not really sure if it's right for me or not. It adds another thing to remember and that's a little concerning to me. I may give it a try and see if it can help my aim/firing motion. Thanks for the help. I popped out some primers with a drill bit and filled with silicone.
Old March 7, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Gbro

There are more benefit to dry firing than there is to firing live ammo.
Trigger control is one of the top good reasons to dry fire.
The flinch factor is non-existent, cheap(thats me) easy to do at home(just do it away from family) much easier to self evaluate but don't hesitate to ask for help from another shooter. The list goes on and on. But if one doesn't keep safety as #1. well its obvious hey.
Old March 7, 2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Dmanbass

Thanks Gbro, God knows I need trigger help. Most of my shots today were 3 inches to the right and in a 12" top to bottom spread. I did get one dead on but it was a fluke.