The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
dajowi

Refit Barrel - STUMPED!

What are the main fixes to the problem of a firearm which fails to lock back on the last round fired from the magazine?

What benefit would refitting the barrel have in correcting this program?
Old February 7, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

It would be a great help if you told every one the Rifle involved.

Make, model, type of acton, caliber, size of magazine.

And why do you want to refit the barrel?
Old February 7, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
PetahW

[What are the main fixes to the problem of a firearm which fails to lock back on the last round fired from the magazine?]
Causes, not fixes:
A worn locking edge on a vertical magazine actuated slide lock.
A worn/broken stop latch.

[What benefit would refitting the barrel have in correcting this program? ] - None.

Old February 7, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The OP just said "firearm", which could include any gun with a magazine - pistol, rifle, or shotgun - including many that were never made to lock open on empty.

I think we need to wait for pictures or at least a better description of the "firearm."

Jim
Old February 7, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
dajowi

The firearm in question is a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm 1911 pistol. It fails to lock back the slide on the last round fired. It makes no difference who shoots it. It malfunctions with both 115 Gr. and 124 Gr. FMJ ammo. It fails with all three magazines which came with the gun. The first trip back to SA the barrel was refitted and the slide stop was tuned. They machined off some of the back of the slide stop. The gun continued to malfunction. It went back to S.A. and is in the process of being returned. They again, refitted the barrel and did extensive test firing.

So beside the original question of what good would refitting the barrel do to correct this program? If it continues when returned are their other possible fixes?
Old February 8, 2012, 04:19 AM   #6
gyvel

I can't think of any other reason besides magazine followers that aren't hitting the hold open, unless the barrel link is causing a slight downward twist of the slide stop. (I am assuming that there is a barrel link and not a cam lock arrangement.) The only other thing, although far fetched, is that the recoil spring is not allowing the slide to travel back far enough for the slide stop to engage.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:32 PM   #7
brickeyee

Check if the magazine follower is catching the slide stop since that is how the 'last shot lock' operates.

See if the follower is catching when you hand cycle the slide (good test with dummy rounds).
Look down into the rejection port as you cycle the slide by hand.

If the mags have a lot of use on them they may need new springs.

You can also try different magazines.

If someone messed with the slide catch it may need to be replaced.
Old February 9, 2012, 06:27 AM   #8
HiBC

Maybe:Hotter ammo,firmer hold,lube,any rubber buffers added?.45 slide stop in a 9mm.

Q:Is it real easy to engage the slide stop manually?Smetimes a little detent is drilled in the slide stop,and it can be too much detent real easy.

Empty mag inserted,pull the slide full back,does it engage?

Weak mag spring?Try a new Wolfe +5%
Old February 11, 2012, 02:50 PM   #9
dajowi

UPDATE: After a second trip to Springfield Armory for repair, (on their dime) the second "barrel refit" appears to have corrected the problem. Went to the range and shot 113 rounds of mixed 147 gr. fp, 115 gr. fmj and 115 gr. RNL. All worked perfectly with the exception that twice the slide failed to lock back on the 147 gr. FP. The OAL of the 147 Gr. cartridges are shorter than the other ammo I shot whether that had anything to do with it I don't know.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:52 AM   #10
gyvel

A so-called "barrel refit" would make sense regarding my thoughts that the swinging link was exerting too much pressure on the slide stop.

The resulting friction/torsion when the barrel is swinging down out of engagement with the locking lugs in the slide would cause the slide stop to rotate down.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
sarg1c

Refit Barrel-stumped

Check the lever spring, My Walther broke this very small spring and slide would not stay back on last round. I man. new spring, problem solved...
Old February 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
ScottRiqui

I had the same problem with my brand-new EMP .40 S&W. Eight mags, and none would lock the slide back reliably. I contacted SA, and they sent me a new slide stop pin with a different profile (I think they called it an "A-cut profile") that fixed the problem immediately and completely.

Glad they got yours taken care of as well!
Old February 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Herr Walther

That little spring can get away from you too during a strip cleaning. I always have a few extra around.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."