The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2015, 07:31 PM   #1
RC5129

Holy cow!! That was fun!!

I just went trap shooting with a couple friends for the first time. My shoulder kind of hurts, my arms are tired, but WOW, that was fun!! And I didn't do too bad for my first time. :-D
Old May 15, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
TomADC

Be careful very careful, trap can be addicting and cause you not only to have fun but you'll also meet some great folks along the way.
May even cause you to own a new shotgun DAMHIK
Old May 15, 2015, 09:39 PM   #3
SARuger

Its fun!

I shoot 20g so my shoulder rarely bothers me but if you have a 12g just get some low brass and your shoulder will love you again.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:56 PM   #4
tynman

I did it last fall for the first time. I went out and bought a semi auto 12ga (cheapy) just for that day. It was so much fun I ended up buying a decent 12ga over under for my next trip.... Have fun...Dont worry about the shoulder it will forgive you in a few days...Mine did...
Old May 15, 2015, 10:27 PM   #5
rtpzwms

"Trap" = crack for shooters lol
Old May 16, 2015, 10:56 AM   #6
FITASC

Trap is for beginners................
Skeet is the next baby steps.........

Then you step up to 5-stand, sporting clays, FITASC, and finally Helice (aka ZZ birds)..................

Here are some brochure from Remington on trap and skeet basic that might help - BTW, your shoulder should not be sore unless you are shooting something that does not fit you.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...downloads.aspx
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
RC5129

Trap is for beginners................

That's perfect, as there's no doubt that I'm a beginner. New to shooting in general, and very new (like last night!) to shotguns.

-CENSORED-- BTW, your shoulder should not be sore unless you are shooting something that does not fit you.

I can believe that. I was shooting several people's shotguns. But this morning it's more my bicep that is hurting, so I am thinking it was more my technique than anything else - especially because i kinda have a fat lip, too...
Old May 17, 2015, 08:38 AM   #8
B.L.E.

Trap is like playing a guitar. It's easy to get fairly good at it, but you'll spend a lifetime mastering it.
What makes a sport easy or difficult is the caliber of your competition.
If breaking 100 straight in ATA trap becomes boringly routine for you, you can always try your skill in international trap.
Old May 17, 2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Welcome to clay targets sports! You're about to meet the nicest people anyplace. Best of luck!
Old May 17, 2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Goatwhiskers

RC5129, mention was made about using "low brass" shells. The height of metal showing, if there is any at all, means exactly nothing today, tho it used to when field loads were in "high" brass shells. You have to read what is marked on the box as to velocity, powder charge, and weight of shot load. Some ammo may be labeled as trap loads. Now you know. GW
Old May 17, 2015, 06:09 PM   #11
FITASC

Target loads - 1oz or less running 1200 or less will be all you need to break targets
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 17, 2015, 07:36 PM   #12
B.L.E.

The one thing that differentiates trap from other clay sports is the unpredictability of what kind of bird you are going to shoot next. The oscillating trap might throw a hard left, a hard right, a fading left or right or a straight away or anything in between. You have to be ready for anything. It's not like skeet where the fixed traps allow you can memorize hold points for each station.
Yes, trap shooters use hold points also but if you absolutely knew that the trap was going to throw a hard right at station 5, you would use a different hold point than if you didn't know what it was going to throw.
I don't know how many times I was anticipating a hard right on station 5 and got a straight away bird instead.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Hicksville Kid

RC5129.....I just went trap shooting with a couple friends for the first time. My shoulder kind of hurts, my arms are tired, but WOW, that was fun!! And I didn't do too bad for my first time. :-D

I know the feeling. I'm not new to shooting, but the only thing I ever shot that was moving was a Texas Star. I only fired a shotgun once about 45 years ago and I don't own one. Somebody in our new community introduced me to trap. It is great! And the people are great. The first time out with a loaner Franchi I shot two rounds and got a bruise the size of a dinner plate. The gun didn't fit and my own incompetence caused it. A few days later I hit the pawn shops in the nearest big city and must have shouldered 30 different shotguns in 6 different shops. Some fit, others didn't. The Remington 1100/11-87 fit the best. The second time out I had a loaner 11-87 and it was great. I knew I was hooked when I hit a hard left shot out of station 1. As someone said, Trap equals crack for shooters!

Let's see who gets to 25 straight first. My goal is 25 by August 25th. Can it be done?

Enjoy yourself RC, I know I am.
Old May 22, 2015, 08:07 PM   #14
RC5129

Hicksville kid -
Let's see who gets to 25 straight first. My goal is 25 by August 25th. Can it be done?

Enjoy yourself RC, I know I am.

You're on!! I'm going to practice tomorrow, and this time I sort of have a clue what I'm doing. I will let you know how I do.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:49 AM   #15
SARuger

My best round ever was 22/25 and I was a kid then, better eyes and reflexes. I took 25 years off raising my family but its more enjoyable now than it was then even if I suck at it!
Old May 23, 2015, 09:47 AM   #16
B.L.E.

I have gone 25/25 several times in muzzle loading trap.

Last year I got myself a Browning BT-99 trap gun to practice with and the very first time I shot it, I hit 24/25 with 7/8 ounce loads. So far, repeating a 25/25 has eluded me, both with the muzzleloader and the modern gun.
I did manage to shoot a 45/50 in 16 yd singles in the local Saturday morning trap league with the BT-99.
Maybe next weekend!
Old May 23, 2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Bake

Join a summer league, that helped my scores the most. The hardest 3 straight away shots from station 5 I ever made, were number 97 , 98, & 100, of my first 100 straight, and won my first belt buckle. The best part of that day was out in the parking lot where I heard some of the guys calling me a "G** D** Sand Bagger". It don't get any better than that for a "First Year Class "C" shooter. Now I'm a retired "AA" that can barely shoot a box (25) without stopping to rest.
Old May 23, 2015, 04:22 PM   #18
FITASC

When you get that first 25, your squad mates WILL swipe your hat for the shooting of it!
That's a great tradition
Old May 23, 2015, 04:59 PM   #19
Bake

And when they throw it, they will put a hand full of rocks in it, just so it will go farther, and higher (+make bigger holes)....