The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 2, 2007, 06:57 AM   #1
triggerhappy2006

Red Dot sights

I am in the market for a red dot style scope and would like anyones opinion on what is a good one. I am purchasing it for a shotgun rifled slug barrel. My price range is something under 200$. I would prefer something with a 30mm objective or larger and anywhere from 1X to 4X power would be fine.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
shappy0869

I am in the same boat as you, looking for an under $200 red dot sight for shooting slugs and I have come to the conclusion that there may not be such a creature.

All of the reviews I have been reading online seem to be a mixed bag of reliability for nearly every brand out there. Utradot seems to be the most reliable and has a lifetime warranty. I was actually interested in either their Pan A-V

or the smaller Utradot L/T

The Pan A-V, is a made in Japan copy of the Hakko BED-35 MKIII Panorama. There are also a huge number of Chineese copies of this design, and none will hold up. I even had someone from NCStar, which is one of the companies that markets a copy, tell me he would not recommend using their sight (D4B) on a shotgun.

I also spoke to the owner of the company that does all of Ultradot's warranty work and he said that while the L/T is the more reliable of the two, he wouldn't recommend either for slug use. While they may hold up for a while, there was no guarantee that they would hold their zero over time.

I think I may have no choice but to wait to save up for the Bushnell Holosight

Which is the less armored version of the mil-spec EOTech holosight

Old January 3, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
JoeHatley

The UltraDot UD30 should work well for you. $135 from www.larrysguns.com

If you want a little magnification for that slug barrel, take a look at the TruGlo 2x30. $70 from www.natchezss.com

Good Luck...

Joe
Old January 3, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Desert Heat

I had an Ultradot. Great optic, but if I could have done it all over again, I would have, without a doubt, saved more money and got an Aimpoint or and Aimpoint knock off.
Old January 3, 2007, 09:20 PM   #5
HSMITH

Aimpoint, C-More, OKO, or Gilmore.

I would look to pick up an OKO or a C-more. Think Holosight refined to where it should be. Thin, light, heads-up type lense, reliable, extremely good battery life, tough, and good companies to work with.

Aimpoint and Gilmore are also first rate, but I prefer the HUD type sights to the tube type both for field of view and ease of use. HUD types are also typically a lot lighter.