The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #76
Reloadkid

Full Length Guide rod

I am not sure of any advantages but I personally do not have a problem with the one in my 1911 Kimber.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:24 PM   #77
polyphemus

First, a quick primer on recoil

Excellent material,Newton applies and indeed equal force is applied in opposite
sides however the work is different on each side,my guess is that assuming
instantaneous detonation it is easier to send a bullet flying down the barrel than
to overcome the combined resistance of the slide ,wouldn't this result in
a delayed slide motion?that is to say bullet's well on its way before slide(and barrel) begin the cycle.Not to cast any aspersions on the compound guide rod
but I feel I've to mention it to continue this way more instructive topic.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #78
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Aesthetics? Because it's expected?
I had no "expectations" as I had no idea what Bob would build. He asked what use I had for the pistol, and I told him metallic silhouette, and some action pistol. The guide rod choice was his - not mine, and I didn't expect to find a full length guide rod.

Quote:
"To sell."
While that sounds, on the surface, logical - I have a hard time believing that was the reason - as a full length guide rod would add about 0.0083% to the overall cost. Not exactly what you'd classify as a high profit add on. But, I suppose every penny of profit does count, so I guess you could not rule it out.

Aethetics? Okay, that certainly is a possibility as the pistol does look different from the front because you have a recoil spring plug with a hole in it for the guide rod - that certainly does give it a different look. Bob used a flat-wire recoil spring, but I would not think that would make any difference in the choice of guide rod.

In any event, to me, an interesting choice given the that there is is little profit and no apparent performance improvement. Next time I talk with him, I'll ask his reason for using it.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #79
1911Tuner

Logic

Quote:
While that sounds, on the surface, logical - I have a hard time believing that was the reason
Well...Since it doesn't really do anything other than the same thing that the standard guide rod does...that's the only logical conclusion I could come to.

And gunsmiths don't make the guide rods. They buy them from vendors who buy them from the manufacturers who make them to sell to people who want them...or who feel that they need them...for something. Standard or full-length...the cost is pretty close, and so is the profit margin unless the smith charges a premium for installing one...and that's a private matter between you and the smith.

I have, however, discovered a use for one. Firing a 1911 without a recoil spring in order to demonstrate that it can be done without ill effect and...aside from having to put the slide in battery manually...without changing the way the gun functions. The stub-type tends to get cattywampus and can do some serious damage without a spring to keep it straight.

Last edited by 1911Tuner; January 19, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:03 PM   #80
polyphemus

Quote:
"I have, however, discovered a use for one. Firing a 1911 without a recoil spring in order to demonstrate that it can be done without ill effect and without changing the way the gun functions"
Talk about epiphanies,this is the perfect use for them rods they have made the
recoil spring obsolete.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #81
1911Tuner

re:

Quote:
Talk about epiphanies,this is the perfect use for them rods they have made the
recoil spring obsolete.
Well...Other than havin' to put it back in battery by hand, that is.

We kinda go on the assumption that's what the spring is for...and firing one without a spring shows that.

Went back and clarified.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #82
Balog

Another thing to consider is image. The high end custom gunsmith has his name on the pistol, and if you pay $X000 for it you'll no doubt show it off. If a person has bought into the hype on flgr's and saw one without it, that might have a detrimental marketing effect. Or the guy only stocks flgr's because that's what most folks want, and be saw no need to buy a standard one special and disrupt his workflow etc.

Tuner, I'd love to see a more in depth discussion of magazine feed lips, if not here then in another thread.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:19 AM   #83
1911Tuner

Lippy

Quote:
Tuner, I'd love to see a more in depth discussion of magazine feed lips, if not here then in another thread.
Start one. I'll jump in directly.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:55 PM   #84
Balog

Done. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...84#post5383984