The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2009, 08:33 PM   #1
wpcexpert

9 point...my best and biggest rack to date.

I was hunting with the Muzzle Loader Thursday morning. This buck came up from out of nowhere behind me and to my right. He was at 15 yds when I saw him. I never even heard him (it had rained hard the day before and in pines). He was looking away, so I got the gun flipped around to shoot left handed. I had him in the sights waiting for him to clear a bush he was behind. All of a sudden, he took off back the way he had come from thru the woods. He must have just known something was out of place. But he stopped at 60 yds, in the perfect spot. One in a million chance that he would stop in a clear shooting lane. I shot at 0645. It was still dawn enough that I saw the muzzle flash thru the scope. He dropped right where he was standing. A few kicks and that was it.

Savage 10MLII
43.5gr Vihtavuori N110
250gr Hornady SST

9 Pointer.JPG
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 7, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
rantingredneck

VERY Nice.....

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 7, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
elkman06

Very nice, I would like to add to my collection a nice Whitetail rack.
Congrats.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old December 7, 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
sserdlihc

Awesome!!
Old December 7, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

VERY RESPECTABLE hat rack! Nice buck!
May every bite be as sweet as the memories taking that deer!
Brent
Old December 7, 2009, 10:02 PM   #6
BIGR

Way to go, nice buck. Muzzleloader will put them down quick for sure.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
dondavis3

Very nice buck - cogratulations.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:24 PM   #8
wpcexpert

Thanks for the congrats. I was proud indeed. 15 years of hard hunting. However this is only the second year I started seperating my doe set-ups from my buck set-ups. I had always hoped and set up for a good buck, but never made the effort not to shoot the first bit of meat that walked by.

A couple missed shots and botched oportunities came before this one. It all finally came together.

I love that rifle. It's been producing real good, now that I've got the kinks worked out. I bout pulled my hair out getting there though.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 7, 2009, 10:51 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Congratulations. Looks like a decent animal (I'm used to seeing Muleys. All the Whiteys look tiny).

However....
Quote:
I was hunting with the Muzzle Loader ...... I saw the muzzle flash thru the scope....

Savage 10MLII
43.5gr Vihtavuori N110
250gr Hornady SST
Muzzle Loader Hunt =/= Savage 10ML + Scope + N110 + SST

Muzzle Loader Hunt + Savage 10ML + Scope + N110 + SST = Cheating.

Muzzle Loader Hunt = Muzzle Loader + Black Powder (or substitute) + Lead Projectile + Iron Sights

In no way, am I saying you did something wrong. However, the 'powers that be' need to change the name of the hunt. Smokeless powder, sabots, tipped bullets, and magnification should not be associated with a "Muzzle Loader" hunt. The point of using a muzzle loader, is the handicap it presents you with. Modern technology is designed to remove those handicaps, thus negating the whole concept.

The US Constitution makes no mention of the phrase "A separation of church and state". However, other language in the 1st amendment implies the reasonable existence of that separation.
I view muzzle loaders in much the same way. The Savage may load from the muzzle, but it is not a muzzle loader. The implied meaning is what is important.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:21 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have not tried a ML but I disagree... the "POINT" of a muzzle loader is to load separate components to make a "charge" and the "bullet" goes in from the MUZZLE! Had optics been available in 1750 I bet all the folks would have used them... Sorry but general gun should be restricted to Hawkens rifles and smoothbore side hammer guns with black powder 'cuz that is what the hunt was originally based on... Archery season should be restricted to wooden bows with no cam pulleys or synthetic strings... catgut string only? And why not just say NO BOWS ALLOWED... ONLY ATLATL IS "ORIGINAL"! Sorry but leave the details alone... I can get my meat with a vine and knife... CAN YOU?
Brent
Old December 8, 2009, 04:45 AM   #11
simonkenton

Very nice deer!

That is the same load I shoot.

I have killed 2 deer with the 250 SST, it really puts a whipping on them.

What was the problem that took you so long to get your Savage dialed in?
Old December 8, 2009, 08:00 AM   #12
2damnold4this

Good job and good buck!
Old December 8, 2009, 10:41 AM   #13
wpcexpert

Quote:
Muzzle Loader Hunt =/= Savage 10ML + Scope + N110 + SST

Muzzle Loader Hunt + Savage 10ML + Scope + N110 + SST = Cheating.

Muzzle Loader Hunt = Muzzle Loader + Black Powder (or substitute) + Lead Projectile + Iron Sights
Actually, It was Modern Gun season at the time...I handicapped myself. I was hunting in an area that didn't require the long range of the Win 7mm WSM. And I do agree that if I was in 1775 and I had the Savage, it might be cheating. But it still loads from the muzzle, shoots one time per load, and thus qualifies. In some states, they have seperated the "Modern" ML from a traditional ML. The cool thing about that rifle is that it will take both smokeless and black powder. So I'm going to use it.

Quote:
What was the problem that took you so long to get your Savage dialed in?
I wasn't being consistent with the bullet seating pressure. I was over seating the bullet and it was causing erratic bullet impact. But I got it squared away. I've still got some tweaking to do. I'd like to try some N120 and bump up the FPS. I didn't even hunt with it the first year that I had it cause it wasn't where I wanted it.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; December 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #14
simonkenton

I want to get some N120 and try some Hornady 300 XTPs.

Believe it or not, some of the guys on the Savage forum are having problems with the 250 SST blowing up on a shoulder shot on big bucks, and losing the animal.
That is hard for me to believe, two years ago I shot a monster buck, lung shot right side, he was quartering away. The 250 SST exited through the far shoulder.

It was unreal, 1 1/2 inch entrance wound, and the wound right through the far shoulder was 2 inches, blew right through the shoulder bone.

Anyway, I haven't had problems with the 250 SST but some guys who I respect have so I really ought to swap over.
I know that, on a lung shot, no deer on the continent can take that load.

The 250 SST and 43 gr of N110 is a "by the book" load, I am surprised you have had problems with it.
What primer are you using?
Are you waiting 15 minutes between shots?
Old December 8, 2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenmauser
However, the 'powers that be' need to change the name of the hunt. Smokeless powder, sabots, tipped bullets, and magnification should not be associated with a "Muzzle Loader" hunt. The point of using a muzzle loader, is the handicap it presents you with.
I think that the point of using a muzzle loader is that it's loaded through the muzzle.

Any point beyond that is self imposed.

At least in the majority of places they don't call it "primitive weapon season". It's called "muzzleloader season" in NY. The point is that it loads through the muzzle, nothing else.

Traditional ML hunters look down their noses at modern guns, optics and smokeless powder and completely ignore the indisputable fact that archery hunting is MUCH more challenging that hunting with ANY fire stick.... while long bow hunters look down their nose at release aids, pin sights and compound bows....

It gets a little ridiculous.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 8, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 01:58 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Actually, It was Modern Gun season at the time...I handicapped myself. I was hunting in an area that didn't require the long range of the Win 7mm WSM. And I do agree that if I was in 1775 and I had the Savage, it might be cheating. But it still loads from the muzzle, shoots one time per load, and thus qualifies. In some states, they have seperated the "Modern" ML from a traditional ML. The cool thing about that rifle is that it will take both smokeless and black powder. So I'm going to use it.
Thank you for not taking my post as an insult or attack. I appreciate the non-emotional reply and explanation. It's getting rare to see some one take a direct reply as anything, but a personal attack.

Quote:
And why not just say NO BOWS ALLOWED... ONLY ATLATL IS "ORIGINAL"!
The evolution of the bow and arrow, vs the Atlatl and dart, depends upon the civilization being studied.

In some cultures, the bow is said to have been an evolution of a more primitive Atlatl-style spear throwing device.

In other cultures, the bow and the Atlatl were used side by side.

Yet, in some ancient North American cultures, the Atlatl has been shown, fairly definitively, to have been an evolution of the bow; and there is evidence to show that many more cultures saw the same series of events, with the bow almost completely disappearing (Central America, and South Western United States). (The non-definitive cultures have a serious lack of evidence to show linear evolution, but carbon dating of specimens has shown most bows to be older than Atlatls linked to the same people.)

Technically... By my own argument, I can't hunt with my Atlatl, since I use 60" Eaton aluminum shafts, with threaded inserts for modern broad heads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg atlatl_mod.JPG (5.4 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg atlatl_mod2.JPG (6.3 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; December 8, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Dr. A

That is a great buck by anyones measure!

congratulations!
Old December 8, 2009, 03:52 PM   #18
Pahoo

Congratulations on taking a very nice buck with your "FRONT-STUFFER" !!

Be Safe !!!
Old December 8, 2009, 05:01 PM   #19
A_Gamehog

Congrats, nice buck

The fact you used "Low tech" weaponry during the regular rifle season is admirable.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:15 PM   #20
shortwave

Congrats on your very nice buck. Now you get to set the bar higher.

People have been argueing the definition of a 'true' muzzleloader since the matchlock. Funny, each new generation of ml is 'cheating' to the one that prefers the prior.

Guess that would be a good topic for a different thread.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:41 PM   #21
James R. Burke

Very nice, Shortwave is correct now the bar has to get higher. Congradulations on a very, fine deer.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:30 PM   #22
wpcexpert

Oh, I'm definately pleased with that deer. But the only thing I would have changed would be that I had taken it with my bow. But I'm not going to be that picky. If the situation had played out the same and I had my bow in tow, I never would have been able to take him. So, I'm glad I had the rifle.

I've never hunted exclusively for bucks, but have geared toward to take a big one. And any deer is a trophy, at least for the freezer if nothing else. But I'm happy.

Quote:
People have been argueing the definition of a 'true' muzzleloader since the matchlock. Funny, each new generation of ml is 'cheating' to the one that prefers the prior.

Guess that would be a good topic for a different thread.
That would be a great topic to start. Don't believe I've seen one in quite a while. I'm sure there has been, I just can't place the last one.

Quote:
Congrats on your very nice buck. Now you get to set the bar higher
Ohh...I guess so. I've got one lined up for next year, if he makes it. I believe he will. I'll get in there early with the bow and try him.
- Thomas Jefferson