The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 11, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
tjwajler

30-06 Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser

Hello everyone, I have a 30-06 Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser, and am looking for a tactical stock for it. I was wondering if Remington 700 stocks would fit? If not is there any tactical stock for the mauser 98 besides the ATI stock? This rifle is super accurate, but just has the original wooden stock. Any info appreciated.
Old January 11, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Swedish Mausers are 96 models, not 98, so you need to find a small ring mauser compatible stock. OTH, 30-06 is not a typical caliber for that gun, they were manufactured in 6.5x55, with some rebarreled in 7.62 NATO. So all bets are off in what you really have there. Best to measure the distance between the bolts and find out exactly.
Old January 11, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
fisherman66

echo double check chamber

You may be happier selling that fine old warhorse to a collector and buying whatever flavor of modern rifle you desire. Depending on condition and matching number she might be worth what some newer rifles sell for. Sounds like the win/win to me.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:17 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Swedish sporting rifles sold here as the Carl Gustaf did not have military actions and are not Mausers. (Husqvarna did sell rifles with Belgian Mauser 98 actions, but did not use the Carl Gustaf name on them.)

The CG action is a new and different design. While it has a small (1.290") receiver ring, it is longer (9 inches) than either of the standard Mauser actions. I don't know about the hole spacing, but anyone wanting to re-stock a CG action should make sure to obtain the right stock.

Jim
Old January 12, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5
tjwajler

30-06 Carl Gustaf Mauser

Hello my gun is a large ring mauser. I looked up how to measure, and it measured as a large ring. Here is some more info. On the receiver it says: CARL GUSTAFS STADS GENVARS FAKTORI. The serial, HK 54613, and directly beside the serial, a large C with a K in the middle of it, an 9/65 beside that, and another large C with an S in it. It has many Crowns with a C under them. Hooded front sight, non-folding rear. Caliber: 30-06 I also has this marking: \/\ on it. Anyone help me? How much could this be worth?

P.S. Will post pics ASAP
Old January 12, 2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Scorch

Husqvarna imported large ring Mausers marked Carl Gustav until the early 1970s. Value is about the same as any large ring commercial Mauser, around $300-$350. Husqvarna also imported the Model 2000 and 3000 that are as Jim describes.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:45 PM   #7
tjwajler

Pics

Here are some pics of a rifle similar to mine. This is the type of rifle I have, but the one I have is a monte-carlo stock and it doesn't have the little curl at the end of the stock. It is almost the same with a few minor differences.Does this help? Also is it a 98 or a 96, and will remington stocks fit on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix129208636.jpg (22.3 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg pix926898284.jpg (32.8 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg pix040613360.jpg (30.8 KB, 233 views)
Old January 12, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Scorch

That is a Model 1896 Swedish Mauser made at the Carl Gustav arms factory. There is no Remington stock that will fit that rifle without extensive work.
Old January 13, 2011, 05:06 AM   #9
tjwajler

Okay everyone I found out what type of rifle I have it is an Carl Gustaf "Employees Rifle." Apparently these rifles were produced after the CG-63 rifles and used parts left on hand to produce a more economic rifle for the Carl Gustaf employees, (who could not afford the high cost of a CG-63.)

Some cost cutting measures were a ramp front sight and a single fixed rear sight. One of the biggest savings was to use stocks left from a "Special Sniper's Rifle Project" that never went into production. A plastic grip cap and buttplate were used, along with white line spacers on both. Calibre was stamped on the barrel, and CG markings similar to the CG-63 were stamped on the left receiver wall along with the date of manufacture. Pistol grip has been checkered.

It is almost what a CG-63 Sporter would have been if one had been made. This is my rifle, sorry if the other pics were misleading. I don't have a digital camera. Someone know anything about this rifle. Price? Stocks? Value etc

Last edited by tjwajler; January 13, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:57 AM   #10
PetahW

What I DO know, is that I wouldn't be restocking or otherwise altering it anytime soon...................... Jes' sayin'.........

Old January 17, 2011, 10:54 PM   #11
publius

Jim, would you be referring to the CG 6.5's that Kimber put out in the Ram-Line stocks a few years ago? What is your opinion of those, notwithstanding the cheap stock?

Tags
carl gustaf mauser , mauser 98 , swedish mauser