The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Lilswede1

223 brass prep - problems getting good head

Got a batch of LC brass from Gib and am in the process of prepping it.
First thing I do is drop it in the Wilson Case Gauge to check it out. 80% looks great but 10% of the cases have a head that is .001 - 004" oversize.
These cases are oblong.
I am trying to figure out a way to salvage them.
First I put the case if my 1/2 drill and used a file. This method works but takes too much off the good side of the case.
Tried marking the spot on the head that is bad (using dial indicator) and then using a nail file to take the high spots down. This also works but is very time consuming.
I would throw out the brass but we are talking about as many as 400 cases so I'm hoping someone in here has a solution.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
armedtotheteeth

can you resize them in your die??
I dont have a case gauge. I just smack them in the die and then trim them. I fired probably around 4-5000 out of my Ar15 with no problems. ( not to mention the bazillions of M1 carbine, 303, 30-06, 38,45, 9MM
and on and on.
Im not even sure of your problem. I guess it is too late for me, I need to wander off to get horizontal
Old December 13, 2008, 12:41 AM   #3
DaveInPA

Yeah, I agree with armedtotheteeth. I take my .223 brass, lube it, resize it, trim it, and load it. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:46 AM   #4
HiBC

Are you serious?Probably you should abandon all the filing and the filed brass.
If you run them all the way into a full length sizing die and they are oversize....hmmm.Have the dies had a lot of use?Could be the dies are worn out.Next step might be small base dies.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Lavid2002

Quote:
The ladies tell me its all in the tongue.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:54 AM   #6
armedtotheteeth

yeah, your making it to complicated.
Size the brass all the way down. ( My RCBS press handle actually "cams over" as the shell holder actually hits the die.
The first firing in my gun usually fixes and brass problems.
If the Bolt will close, and the bullet is not hitting the lands, and you dont have 2 bullets in the bore, and you have stayed within powder charge limits, and you have the proper CALIBER bullet in the bore.. you will not blow yourself up.
I wont bother telling yall about the 30-06 that I somehow stuffed 303 ( actually .311) bullets into.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Lilswede1

I should have been more explicit

Yes, I tried resizing this brass but neither the FL die on the Dillon 550B Progressive or the Redding FL die on the single stage go down to the head.
On closer inspection of the defective cases it appears the only part of the case that is oversize is the head behind the extractor groove. Maybe this is not a big problem as the case will fit into the .223 CZ 527 bolt without hang-ups. But they will not drop down into the Wilson Case Guage - they stop at the Head.
Being new to rifle reloading I am going by the sage wisdom of the statement "if it will fit into the Case Guage, it will fit into the gun chamber".
Well, these cases don't and thus here I am. They fit one but not the other.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:27 AM   #8
armedtotheteeth

Hmmm, i see your problem young Padawan , yet I am of no help to you. You must find a wizer ( Or closer ) Jedi than myself to fix your problem.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Alleykat

First, the OP apparently doesn't understand the purpose of the Wilson case gage...it's not a "chamber-proofing" gage, like straightwall handgun case gages.

You only use the Wilson gage to determine whether the shoulder has been properly bumped during sizing for proper headspace, and to see if the case needs trimming. There's absolutely no point in dropping an unsized case into a Wilson case gage.

On-the-other-hand, I was totally confused by the OP's starting sentence of his other thread, involving headspace, relative to a case's being "too long."
Old December 13, 2008, 12:53 PM   #10
30Cal

Size, trim and check in your case gage to make sure the shoulder is set properly. There are going to be subtle issues with some, but they'll almost certainly chamber and fire just fine.
Old December 13, 2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Red_Eagle

It sounds like they were probably fired out of an M-249 machine gun.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old December 13, 2008, 01:20 PM   #12
DaveInPA

Quote:
It sounds like they were probably fired out of an M-249 machine gun.
Beat me too it. Sounds like these were SAW ammo in their former life.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Lilswede1

I reiterate

I have resized these cases and use the Wilson Gauge to check headspace but these cases stop where the head would normally drop slightly into the guage.
So I use the RCBS Precision Mic Gauge to verify headspace - just not as efficient.
Problem solved - I hope.
Old December 13, 2008, 09:04 PM   #14
snuffy

I'm confused with your terminology. By "head" are you referring to the RIM? If so then forget about it! The rim has nothing to do with whether or not the round will fit/fire in your bolt gun. Since it never enters the chamber, it is only held by the bolt face and extractor.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 13, 2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

If I understand correctly, the casehead itself is slightly bulged starting just above the extractor groove. Some weapons, such as lever guns and some full auto weapons, will actually have slightly oblong chamber mouths that have been opened to facilitate feeding. This leads to producing a bulged lobe on the heads of fired cases where they sat over the extra cut. Failure to remove that lobe can impede feeding of a reloaded round, which is why some lever guns can require you to use a small base die that will bring that case back near original size.

If you get a small base die, use it on those cases with lobes once. Maybe twice. You can then go to a normal sizing die after that, as the small base die will have done all it can. Using the normal dies will extend case life over using the small base die all the time, unless your chamber is very tight.

Good luck with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 14, 2008, 03:47 PM   #16
amamnn

-----or don't buy bulk military brass.....................
Old December 15, 2008, 02:06 AM   #17
farnorthdan

Quote:

The ladies tell me its all in the tongue.
You beat me to it......

DS

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old December 15, 2008, 04:33 AM   #18
Powderman

What you might be looking for is here:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/inde...emart&Itemid=1

This is an arbor press that pushes the ENTIRE case through a die, thus sizing everything--even the rim--to proper diameters. It's kinda pricey, though--over $300 for the press alone, and additional amounts for the dies.
Old December 15, 2008, 01:02 PM   #19
snuffy

I don't think that would work for bottle necked rifle cases.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/inde...emart&Itemid=1

Since the .223 and other rifle cases are tapered, they could not be held straight in any die to be pushed all-the-way-through. Then only the head and rim would be sized IF they could be held straight.

They give so little info on/in that link, I would never order anything from them, without a phone call first! Would it hurt them to do a little write up on how it works?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 15, 2008, 02:00 PM   #20
rg1

That's about the ratio of M16 fired cases to SAW fired cases I got. About 400 SAW cases per 1000. The rims of the SAW fired cases were bent and dinged up. The cases were sound but did have rim damage. Time consuming and tedious but I filed the case heads flat where they were bent and filed down marks from the outer edge of the rim. Avoid SAW brass unless you don't mind a little more case prep. The repair needs to be done before sizing.