The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 10, 2011, 09:43 PM   #26
Mello2u

I have adopted the same habit as Bailey Boat.

Right after I put on my pants, I holster my gun IWB, pull my shirt-tail over the handle, and it is concealed. I have been doing this for decades.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old November 10, 2011, 11:40 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

I carry at home as well, but I'm not sure if it would really do anything against snipers. Sometimes doo-doo happens. At 80-something, I would imagine it would be hard to defend oneself even armed 24x7.
Old November 11, 2011, 12:50 AM   #28
9ballbilly

While I do not carry in the house my nightstand gun, a Ruger speed-six .38spl. loaded with +P 125gr. JHP's is never more than a few steps away. Fortunately I live in a small house. The very few times people have knocked on my door unexpectadly I've answered with it held behind my back. fortunately there was never a problem, almost all were just looking for directions. While I don't critisize or condemn anyone for carrying while at home, to me it's just too much of a PITA.
Old November 11, 2011, 12:53 AM   #29
MLeake

While my wife doesn't carry, yet, two couples that are friends of ours are his-and-hers carriers.

One couple owns a 44' ketch, and travel the caribbean sometimes. Those two even practice pirate/hijacker drills, and have code words for "shoot the person(s) who are with me" when they travel.

So briandg's assumption is... well... an assumption. I have to agree with Pax. (And I'm trying to get my wife to carry.)
Old November 11, 2011, 01:03 AM   #30
jason_iowa

I live in methland ya never know who's gonna come knocking or what they are on. Most times I have a 45 on me just because I have for 10 plus years. I only leave it in the car when I go into restricted places. I also have a shotgun and an AK in my room everything else is in the safe. I don't have any kids so that's not an issue. Its a boy scout thing not a paranoia thing.

After more then a decade of carrying this month was the first time I ever had to draw one and have never had to use it as a civilian. So I know the odds are in my favor against anything happening. I have never had use of my seat belt or helmet either but I wear em when I drive or ride.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:30 AM   #31
jason_iowa

Buddy of mine just had his golden retriever attacked by a neighbors shepard in the back yard. No gun on him he just had to kick the shepard until it ran away.
Old November 11, 2011, 04:17 AM   #32
therealdeal

Dwight

Quote:
About 2 miles away, . . . a young girl (early teen) lost her life to a rapist/murderer (never found), . . . and about 10 miles away an elderly lady was knifed in her bed by an attacker who put a ladder up to the second story, . . . cut the screen, . . . and he/she was never found either.
probably the same scumbag

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 11, 2011, 04:20 AM   #33
therealdeal

Quote:
I had a knock on the backdoor @ about midnight. He said," Sheriff's Department." I had not called them. I answered the door with a gun behind my back. When I turned to lay it on the table, he said that I scared him to death! He was lost.
this is very upsetting. I don't doubt your wits, as you have made it this far(you claimed you were an old man in your post). This guy is lucky you didn't point the gun at him. He wasn't the Sheriff's Office, right? If not, he is a very shady character in my book.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 11, 2011, 04:27 AM   #34
Nnobby45

Quote:
I do think that many who do carry in home are probably overestimating their situation, and they could probably live out a thousand lifetimes in their current circumstances without having ever had a home invader.
Another odds maker.

The odds are 100% that it's going to continue to happen to many who had those same wonderful odds working in their favor.

And some won't even be living out one life time---since they'll be murdered like others "protected" by the odds.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old November 11, 2011, 04:34 AM   #35
Nnobby45

I don't usually carry in the home, though I'm not always in a hurry to remove my weapon when I do return home.

I have made and effort to make it difficult for Bubba and his friends to cut me off from a weapon if there's a sudden unexpected entry.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:17 AM   #36
Don P

Thankfully the wife is as much of a gun nut as I am ans she too carries when ever possible. Better to be prepared than the
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:02 AM   #37
TexasJustice7

QUOTE: ClayInTex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I paranoid? No, but I do know that somewhere, sometime, someone is out to get me. No, there is likely no one in the city who is intent on going out into the boondocks looking for Clay. He’s there but is merely looking for anyone who’s a possible target with money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you. I normally carry two guns on me, the third in my pocket, due to some threatening behavior, after I had called the police out
regarding theft. And I have friends who think that wearing two guns openly in my home is paranoid and would rather become a potential victim.

I saw someone who had a quote which said, "Paranoid? Maybe, Likely Victim-- I don't think so". And that is the way I look at it. I can't stop crime, am not a police officer, and am not intent on doing that. But I think I have a pretty good chance of preventing me or my daughter from becoming a victim. But the pocket gun is a constant, too along with my primary carry it is almost always in my pocket outside the home.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:16 AM   #38
Stressfire

Quote:
My wife probably wouldn't carry a gun even if she lived in the middle of the most dangerous place in the country. Even if she did, it wouldn't do much good. When her cell phone rang a while ago, it took 11 rings before she could remember which pocket/orifice she'd stuck it in and dig it out to answer.
"Good" to know I'm not alone...I'm workin' on her (tactfully, I did pay attention to the "How to get your wife to hate guns" section on Cornered Cat), but I think the Lions have a better chance at the Super Bowl
Old November 11, 2011, 09:46 AM   #39
UtopiaTexasG19

I have been fortunate in my career of 41 years to have lived and worked in 17 foreign countries and am now back in the US permanently though I still do consultation work over the Internet. I have never felt the need to carry a gun at any time. Just my opinion, please don't flame.....
Old November 11, 2011, 10:04 AM   #40
L_Killkenny

Proponents of something will always find examples to justify their position. I can find where a guy fell off a 2 foot ladder and broke his neck but that doesn't mean I'll wear a stinkin harness everytime I look at a ladder.

Home invasions where people are murdered, raped or severely beaten can and do happen everyday. But it's absurd to even try to prepare for everyone of life's downfalls let alone the ones with the least probabilities. That's why we wear seat belts but not helmets when driving, why we tie off when working in high places but not when on a 2 foot ladder and why we don't go jogging with dark clothes on in the middle of the highway at night.

You want to feel the need to go heeled while walking around your house go for it. I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same as I would a jogger running around a high school track with a flashing DOT barricade strapped to his back in broad daylight.

LK

Last edited by L_Killkenny; November 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old November 11, 2011, 10:12 AM   #41
Kevin Rohrer

People who use anomalies to justify behavior need to have someone buy them a large dose of Reason.

I don't need to carry a gun in my own house anymore than I need to wear a life preserver in the bathtub or carry a defibrillator attached to me.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 11, 2011, 10:18 AM   #42
Patriot86

Quote:
To Patriot, You can carry on private property without a CCL????
I am not really an expert on WI gun laws yet. If memory serves OC is legal but they had some odd restriction of motor vehicles (considering I use a tractor there a lot thats a no no) I would rather just be 100% covered with an out of state recognized CCL.
Old November 11, 2011, 10:35 AM   #43
Stressfire

Quote:
I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same as I would a jogger running around a high school track with a flashing DOT barricade strapped to his back in broad daylight.
Quote:
People who use anomalies to justify behavior need to have someone buy them a large dose of Reason.
Whatever happened to "do what works for you?" If you feel more comfortable strapped 24/7, who are you hurting?
Old November 11, 2011, 11:13 AM   #44
pax

Quote:
http://corneredcat.com/Are_You_Paranoid/

Sorry for just throwing the link up there & moving on, but I didn't feel like typing it all again.

pax
Old November 11, 2011, 11:18 AM   #45
pax

Moderator Note

A couple of people who posted above (you know who you are) need to re-read the forum rules. Specifically the bit about "no personal attacks." Nobody's over the line yet, but given the tenor of the posts a reminder seemed to be in order.

Speaking as the moderator, I'm weary of watching these types of threads degenerate into polarized sides muttering "paranoid!" and "sheep!" at each other. Let's not do that, this time.

pax
Old November 11, 2011, 11:32 AM   #46
jason_iowa

I envy the people who don't feel the need to carry. I'm 99.99% sure I could go a hundred lifetimes and never need to use a weapon as a civilian. Why take any chances though? My peace of mind is more then worth having someone spit paranoid in my face.

Were all sheep and paranoid in some aspects of our lives at some point or another. I know I'm both most of the time.
Old November 11, 2011, 11:36 AM   #47
Lee Lapin

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't the odds that matter. It's the stakes. I've carried from pants on till pants off for years, and will continue doing so. If you don't want to do that, it's your business. The only way I know of to have a gun when you really really need one is to have one at hand all the time. Some people try to address that issue by hiding guns all over the house. I'd rather have a gun on my person and not have to keep up with guns all over the place. Again, if you choose to hide guns all over, that's your business- feel free. Or if you want all your guns locked up in a safe all the time except when you're actually planning to use one, that's fine by me too. It's not my business, it's yours. Stuff happens, sometimes weird stuff happens, and on rare occasions having a gun at hand is a good idea. If you can predict when that will be, you're better than I am. I haven't learned to either predict or schedule my emergencies.

Local newspapers* had a story not long ago about sumdood who was using a shotgun from an overpass to disable cars on I-95 not far from here, then robbing the occupants when they pulled over. This is high weirdness as far as I'm concerned, nothing at all a normal person would expect to have happen on a normal day. But it happened. And it was uncomfortably close by. Fortunately the last set of people he tried to rob - guess what - had a handgun handy. Robeson County is a lot of things, but it's never boring...

* http://www.robesonian.com/view/full_...es_left_column

* http://m.fayobserver.com/articles/20.../11/07/1135675

* http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/vi...s_right_column

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 11, 2011, 11:46 AM   #48
Stressfire

Nice post, Lee, those pics are simply priceless.
Old November 11, 2011, 12:40 PM   #49
TexasJustice7

QUOTE: Jason_IOWA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I envy the people who don't feel the need to carry. I'm 99.99% sure I could go a hundred lifetimes and never need to use a weapon as a civilian. Why take any chances though? My peace of mind is more then worth having someone spit paranoid in my face.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not certain about that myself because I don't live in a well fenced home
with an expensive security system, nor guard dogs because I choose to live in
an apartment complex because I don't want to buy a home I might be forced to sell. But I never worry about what others think. I been making up my own mind about such subjects all my life. What works for one person may not work for someone else. My philosophy is that if someone does pick my home to invade, I doubt they will give me the time to go to another room to get my gun, and I don't have small children. I would guess too that far more people carry guns all the time in Texas than in any other state.
Old November 11, 2011, 12:59 PM   #50
Unistat76

Quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Actually, I think carry in the home makes a lot of sense. The two prime aspects of a firearm for self-defense are keeping it out of the hands of unauthorized people/children and having it accesible in a very short time frame. Normally these two requirements are in direct conflict with each other. The one exception to this is a handgun you are wearing.

The handgun is safe from children and other unauthorized people because it is under your positive control at all times. It also provides the fastest practical response time if you need to access it in an emergency.
I agree with this 100%. I also happen to live in a marginal neighborhood and having the gun at hand is important. Just yesterday I had a shady dude come to my door selling his "CD."
Closed Thread