The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 7, 2009, 03:10 PM   #1
M4Sherman

What is a USGI colt worth?

I was browsing through a pawn shop today and I ran acrossed a luger and a Springfield Armory 1911 both of which had a "old used" look to them and since the luger had a price of $1100 I became interested in the 1911 but I didnt want to drop $500 on it with out first finding out what it was worth. So can any one give me an estimate?
Old March 7, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Webleymkv

When you say USGI, do you mean that it's an original military-issue gun or one of Springfield's newer models that are also called USGI? If it's an original military-issue, $500 seems like a pretty good price to me, if it's a newer model, the price while not spectacular is at least fair

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6
Old March 7, 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Chris_B

Springfield Armory?

To my knowledge, Springfield Armory Inc has never supplied Government-Issue handguns but Springfield Armory did

Is it possible to take a photo of it?
Old March 7, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Tom2

Real GI versions of the 1911/A1 have jumped off the charts pricewise, in the last few years. A nice Remington Rand that used to cost 800$ is now asking maybe 2000$. That is why I don't own one, I drug my feet about coughing up the 800-850 and now they are out of reach, IMO. If you find a real GI pistol for 500, better grab it unless it is a true junker or something. Be careful and look closely. Sometimes you will find mixed parts assembled pistols made from a mix, like a commercial frame and a GI slide and other parts, etc. A GI lookalike built on say, an Essex cast frame or something, might be nice as a shooter but not particularly valuable. Also beware that rearsenaled genuine GI pistols may have mixed parts, but the frame will be GI and so should the other parts. Now, if something insignificant were not GI, like just the sights or trigger, or what have you, that could be cheaply put right, not a huge problem. Frame and slide better be. And maybe the barrel. Those are the big dollar items. A GI gun will have a US property stamp on the frame, in any case.
Old March 7, 2009, 06:27 PM   #5
M4Sherman

well I am not legally allowed to handle it due to my age but I it does look to be older and since it the lugar and a .30 carbine revolver are from the same person (according to the pawn broker) I am guessing it is fairly old. But we are heading back down there tomorrow to check it out a little better
Old March 8, 2009, 05:30 AM   #6
Alaskavett

Where do you live?

How is it that you can not legally handle a gun due to your age? Have we "advanced" that far into HELL?
Old March 8, 2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Chris_B

My guess is it's because of the laws in pawn shops, not the laws about guns
Old March 8, 2009, 08:07 AM   #8
Piper Cub

In the land of Lincoln...Obama's state only some one with a FOID card can legaly touch any gun. If undet 21 No handguns can be bought or fondled.
Old March 8, 2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Alaskavett

!!!

My God Man y'all ARE backward there! Draconian BS laws like that got to be fixed! Put the crap in jail with the flaming liberals and be done with it!
Old March 10, 2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Tom2

So when you touch a gun with no one looking, do your fingers burn or tingle? Does the spectre of Obama appear like a genie from a bottle, and announce grave threats? Does the state of ill-noise have a constitution, or just a government manifesto?
Old March 10, 2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Chris_B

That's not constructive at all.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:41 PM   #12
foggy

It's like that in my state too although some dealers don't ask for age. If the gun is the new springfield than the price is not that good.