The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 13, 2005, 09:37 AM   #26
HankL

The major point that I gathered from the clip was that once the cat got in the wire muzzle control went south and the entire thing turned into a furball.
I am really suprised that one of the hunters didn't get shot.
Old February 21, 2005, 11:38 AM   #27
pittspilot

I believe this has been covered before. My understanding was:

1) This was a pest animal that was too close to residents and animals. Supposedly an elderly male that had taken to killing domestic animals.

2) Apparently the first shot was perfect. However, the Lion didn't think so. From what I understand this is not uncommon.

3) The guide saved everyone with that last shot before the lion made it to them. As was noted, that animal covered a serious amount of territory at a fantastic pace. If you watch the guide, he squats to take the only shot he knows he is going to get. I have never had the opportunity to take one shot that I knew positively absolutely had to count, and had a very short period within which to take, but if I did, I hope I did as well as this guy did. He hit the Lion right on the chin, and that was probably why that Lion did not take "Bwana" apart.

4) I would not really hold the whooping it up that those guys did against them. I would assume that having seen a lion that close and personal that had my blood on its mind, and having survived the encounter intact, I might celebrate a tad.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old February 22, 2005, 03:52 PM   #28
sdkidaho

BillCA - well said.

Quote:
I am really suprised that one of the hunters didn't get shot.
And that statement is no joke. It's amazing they didn't kill each other.
Old February 22, 2005, 04:27 PM   #29
dasmi

Those idiots got of lucky I'd say.
Old February 22, 2005, 11:56 PM   #30
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
What surprised me about the footage is that while there were several people with rifles in the hunting party and several folks opened up when the animal charged, nobody seemed to have anything faster than a bolt action gun to shoot.
Perhaps it's the fact that in many countries, including S.Africa, it's illegal to use semi-automatic rifle to hunt with. Add to that, there are few semi-autos you can carry and have the firepower of a good .375 H&H or a .458 Weatherby Magnum. (Sure, just try to carry that Barrett afield all day!) And if this was a sport hunt, where's the sport in shooting your lion 3, 5 or 10 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIWS
I wonder what lion sausage tastes like.
Probably not as good as spotted owl!
Old February 23, 2005, 11:12 AM   #31
220swifter

Not to stir the pot more, but..... The story I have heard is that is was in fact a canned hunt. You can clearly see the fence in the back ground.(I think that cat could have jumped it.) The hunter is a dentist out of Corpus Christi, Texas. No way to know for sure, but the story down there is not too flattering.
Old February 24, 2005, 12:16 AM   #32
artsmom

Hmmm, don't kill it unless you are going to eat it. What does a mouse taste like fresh out of the trap, and how many mosquitoes does it take for even a light snack?

There is nothing wrong with shooting a lion, fair chase or otherwise. I can't say I would be even remotely interested in hunting where there are fences, whether it is five acres or five square miles, of 5,000 square miles, since it is a psychological thing.

I won't condemn others, as then we establish a pecking order, where ultimately anyone who doesn't kill the animal with a bow fashioned with obsidian tools they flaked themselves and grill it on a fire they started with the bow method is no true hunter.
Old February 24, 2005, 06:12 AM   #33
LAK

All this talk about fences - and the one in question - reminds me of that infamous and widely published photograph that "proved" the Serbs were operating "concentration camps" in Yugoslavia. Except that the photo was actually taken by a photographer standing "inside" the alleged enclosure, with some of the locals (one of whom was a skinny chap to begin with) standing on the outside of the wire. Of course the truth was never acknowledged by the right people.

Now it takes more than your average cattle fence to actually contain a lion.

Has it occurred to anyone that whether or not the lion is "inside" or "outside" some fenceline - it may the fenceline of a farm, or other private dwelling, and that the lion's presence there may not be welcome, "sporting" or not?