The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 14, 2002, 06:31 PM   #1
Haycreek

Grip safety activation vs no grip safety

I have to admit, the 1911 is my favorite, but when drawing a 1911 and deactivating the thumb safety,and firing,sometimes I fail to depress the grip safety enough to fire. This is especially the case with my stock Colt series 70. The Kimber with the FMSH and combat thumb safety lever is no problem. I like the feel of the arched MSH but for fast presentation, it doesnt work naturally for me.
My other option is to always carry a Glock [which isn't a bad idea]. But I sure do like the way the Kimber carries in a Comp-tac Gurka !! The Kimber is my first choice, Glock is my "other" first choice, the Colt Series 70 stays in my safe.
Do any of you have a problem depressing the arched MSH when you present you handgun quickly? Any comments ?
Old November 14, 2002, 06:53 PM   #2
Navy joe

Well, yeah, I never can squeeze hard enough to depress the arched MSH, but the stock grip safety above it is no problem. Ed Brown and several others make grip safties with a hump at the lower end, helps in pushing it in for those that have a problem. For your SR70 though that would mean a new hammer and beavertail most likely or you could leave the grip safety stock and slap on a flat MSH.
Old November 15, 2002, 04:58 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

McCormick DeActivator (the 'Kimber' hump).
Old November 15, 2002, 12:12 PM   #4
AZ Jeff

If you are having trouble keep the grip safety depressed, here is a cheap way to overcome it: Glue a small piece of velcro (the "fuzzy" loop half, NOT the hook half) to the grip safety immediately above it's lower edge. This adds a squishy pad for your hand to press against.

If that does not do the trick, one can file down the arm on the grip safety that blocks the trigger bow, or one can pin the grip safety in the "off safe" position.

Grip safeties, especially the stock M1911 type, are cheap. If the velcro does not work, or looks to tacky, I would file the arm the safety and be done with it.