The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 25, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
AL45

Safety glasses

I wear glasses and was wondering if they make safety glasses that can be worn over my glasses. (other than the typical safety glasses used in science class)?
Old June 26, 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
JimmyR

I am a fellow 4-eyes, and I have found these to be sturdy, economical glasses. The cover the front and peripherals, and have been in my range bag since regularly for over a year now, when I started shooting regularly. No scratches, dings, or dents. Ended up buying a second pair for the missus not long after I got these. Get one, or get all three colors (clear, yellow, and smoke) for a variety of shooting environments.
Old June 26, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3
BarryLee

I have the same glasses as Jimmy and have been pretty happy with them. While initially they are a little distracting sort of like looking through a window, but once I start focusing on the sites/target I sort of forget about them.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 26, 2013, 03:47 AM   #4
dmazur

This isn't what you asked about, but you might consider it as an alternative.

prescription inserts for safety glasses

These fit inside several Genesis models (made by Uvex).

The prescription insert is protected by the "disposable" safety glass lens, which is available in different colors (gray, clear, yellow).

The Genesis safety glasses are around $12, the inserts $28 plus the cost of prescription lenses.
Old June 26, 2013, 03:56 AM   #5
JL Wesson

I have these (two of them: yellow and orange)

http://www.konus.com/prodotti.php?id_c=9&id_p=514

They are very cheap and have their own frame for your prescription lens.

You can also have, as I did, a prescription lens slightly different from your usual one for optimal sight of your "front sight".

They changed dramatically my "range vision" both in clay shooting, pratical pistol competition and range target shooting.
Old June 26, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
AL45

I found a pair of "over glasses" safety glasses at the hardware store I work at They were only about $5.00. They may not be as good as the ones you have but they seem to fit alright. They should take care of most flying debris.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Scrip shooting glasses in a variety of colors can be found from a variety of makers like Randolph, Pilla, Decot Hy-Wyd, that way you can get whatever color works best for you