The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Single piece scope mount for Browning BBR

I'm looking for a single piece scope mount/base (and rings) for a Browning BBR (to mount a Nikon Prostaff 3/9x50 scope).

I've checked with Midwest Gunworks (referred to from Browning) who had nothing and Brownell's that could only offer a 2 piece Redfield they said would fit.

I've back new to the rifle hobby (after being out 30+ years) and have no idea where I might go for such a mount (without wasting a lot of time calling every number a Google search returns).

I'd appreciate any guidance on a supplier or how to identify the part I need so I can quickly check out online supplier's stock.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
plumbercrack

Do you have a pic of the gun? The ones I've seen have a two piece setup for shell ejection. Is there any way to mount something forward of the bolt?
Old February 17, 2012, 09:19 PM   #3
SerenityNetworks

Thank you. I appreciate the guidance. I'm only saying one piece, as it was suggested to me it was a more stable mount than a two piece. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if there is a significant difference or not for the combination of this rifle, scope and shooter.

Attached is a file with a top view and both side views, including the measurements between the bolt holes.

Thank you again,
Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scope_Distances.jpg (191.2 KB, 80 views)
Old February 18, 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
plumbercrack

I have looked and the only Brouning mounts I have are two piece with four screw holes and a one piece Buckmark base that looks like it would get in the way of shell ejection. I can call Browning monday and find out what they have. I looked on their website and saw nothing for a BBR.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
SerenityNetworks

Thank you for the kind offer, but I've already called Browning (a couple different numbers) and examined their web site. In all cases, I've been pointed to MGW (Midwest Gun Works). About 20 years ago Browning sold all their remaining inventory for the BBR to MGW. They are now sold out of the single piece scope mount PO8817. I have been unable to find one anywhere else.

However checking with Brownell's, they pointed me to a Redfield two piece that was advertised to work with the BBR and the Remington 700.

I've been pointed to using Burris rings (due to their adjust-ability). So extrapolating from the knowledge that mounts for the Rem 700 will work, I've inquired from Sinclair if the following three parts will work.
06-420531, Burris 1" Signature Zee Rings, High .420" , Matte, Mfr. Part: 06420531
06-626019, Burris Signature Z Ring posi-algn insert kit - 1, Mfr. Part: 06626019
410600, Burris Xtreme Tactical Bases, Remington 700, Mfr. Part: 410600

Hopefully I'll get a positive confirmation back from Sinclair on Monday.

I still haven't found a single piece mount matching the original Browning PO8817, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old February 19, 2012, 03:13 PM   #6
plumbercrack

Those Burris 410600 bases are good because they are steel instead of aluminum. I was not sure if the curve on the bottom would match the rifle and aluminum would over time work it's way loose. I am out of them but I could get you a scope at a reasonable price. If the mounts don't exactly match the curve on the rifle you might try squeezing some RTV silicone under the mounts before you put them on. After you tighten the mounts and the silicone dries you can trim off any extra. Go to my website
http://www.gunstuff4you.com/ and go to the contacts page. That's my cell number so you can usually reach me with any questions.
Old February 19, 2012, 09:50 PM   #7
SerenityNetworks

Thank you for the insight. Hopefully the Burris mounts will fit perfectly. However, if they don't I'm wondering about the use of silicone. I would have thought that a metal epoxy, such as JB Weld, would be superior. The rifle would need to be protected, so the mounts could be removed after the epoxy cures and thus allowing excess epoxy to be ground off the edges. But with remounting I would think the result would be much more stable than silicone.

However, I'm drawing on adhesive knowledge from another hobby. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,
Andrew

PS. I already have a scope, but I have bookmarked your site for future use.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:11 PM   #8
plumbercrack

I love JB Weld for almost everything. I guess you could apply a thin coating of vaseline to the rifle side before you fit the mounts with JB Weld. we used to use that technique when we spraypainted motors we had rebuilt. Possibly coat the mounting screws too so they don't get stuck then let it dry and clean off the vaseline.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:35 PM   #9
SerenityNetworks

The technique I've used to 'mold' a part to another with JB Weld is to apply a very thin film of Vaseline (or similar) to both sides of a piece of cellophane wrap. Then stretch the cellophane over the base part. Lastly apply the JB Weld to the part to be molded and mount it on the base part. After hardening the parts can be separated and cleaned (without alcohol, as alcohol softens epoxy). After 24 hours excess JB Weld can be removed with a Dremel or file.

It works like a charm. Using the cellophane wrap simply adds a second and third layer of protection to the base part.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Vintageaccys

Scope Mount

Andrew,
Are you still looking for a scope mount base for that Browning BBR? I have 2, new in the box that I was thinking about posting on EBAY.

Box is labeled Browning one piece scope base Model 8817 for Browning BBR bolt action rifles.

You are right, go with the one piece base for stability. Let me know ..
Tim
Old March 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
SerenityNetworks

Thanks Tim. I already went ahead and purchased a two piece, have had the scope mounted, and been out shooting. At some point, as my skills increase, I will likely upgrade the scope. At that time, I might be interested in using a one piece. If you want to post or PM me your asking price, it is something I will consider.

Thank you,
Andrew
Old July 14, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
mrbogart

browning bbr on piece scope mount PO8817

I am looking for a browning one piece scope mount for a 1979 browning bbr. does anyone have information on this item?
Thanks

Tags
bbr , scope base , scope mount