The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
revance

Surefire G2 - LED vs Incandescent

Does anyone know how the LED version of the G2 compares to the original incandescent? Is the intensity about equal to the 65 lumen incandescent lamp?

They boast a 12hr runtime but never mention how fast the intensity decreases. Anyone know how the intensity varies over time? I have found reviews that answer this question for the incandescent, but not the LED.

Intended uses:
My primary use is as a nightstand flashlight in case of unexpected late night visitors. I want something that can impair a bad guys vision @ 25' or less. However I hate to spend money on a flashlight I never use because the batteries don't last, so I would really like to find something I can use around the house and camping without spending a fortune on batteries.

Thanks!
Old December 5, 2007, 11:14 AM   #2
The Tourist

I am not intimately knowledgible about your specific model, but I have a 6P.

On many of SureFire products, you can buy a replacement LED head that lengthens the life of their batteries.

I use the brightest bulb they make in my 6P, because I figure when I need it, I'll really need it.

But I do own the KL3 head if I know in advance I'll be utilizing it for extended period.

I'm going to buy a KL1 head for my E1e very soon. Right now, I carry thatmodel in my pockets as an EDC.
Old December 5, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
stephen426

The new Surefire G2 LED claim an output of 80 lumens and a run time of 12 hours. For some reason or other, the 6P LED has the same output at 11 hours. The original 6P put out around 65 lumen for an hour or 120 lumens (with the optional lamp) for 20 minutes. Go with the LED since it will pay for itself in batteries saved! Besides, since it has 12 hours of power, you might actually have juice when you need it (because you were messing around with it when you didn't need it ). I got the L2 Lumamax which is a dual output LED 15/100 lumens. The low power is great for reading maps and stuff while the high output is blinding. They aren't cheap though at $175. The L1 is also dual out put 10/65 lumes and that goes for $135.

If you want more info, just go to Surefire's Website.
Old December 5, 2007, 12:56 PM   #4
dwatts47

Quote:
Go with the LED since it will pay for itself in batteries saved!
be advised gentlemen... 12 Hr run time IS NOT at 80 lumen of output.

Most surefire LED products provide maximum, in this case 80 lumens for 1.25 HRs or 1 hour, and "USEFUL" light output there after until the batteries are entirely exhausted.

For this reason I prefer the incandesant bulbs that put out %100 highest output for the entire hour that the batteries last.... to me this is more 'useful'.

Here is a quote straight from surefire web site:

G2-LED

Compact (pocket sized), high-intensity LED flashlight for tactical, outdoor, and general use. Puts out a smooth, brilliant beam with four times the light of a larger two-D-cell flashlight—bright enough to temporarily blind and disorient a person by impairing his night-adapted vision. And it continues producing useful light levels for an impressive 12 hours on a single set of batteries. Constructed of lightweight, corrosion-proof Nitrolon® and aerospace-grade aluminum. Body features molded-in grid for a secure grip in the wettest conditions. Small size, high output, and extended runtime make it perfect for self-defense, camping and backpacking, emergency/disaster-preparedness kits, or everyday carry.
Old December 5, 2007, 01:19 PM   #5
revance

dwatts... that is what I was asking about in the original post.

Where did you get the 1.25 hours? I can't find that info anywhere.

You are mistaken about the incandescent bulbs though, they actually decrease in brightness MUCH more than LEDs. Many LED flashlights are regulated so the output is exactly the same until within minutes of it dying.

This is the variance in output of the Surefire P60 lamps over time... as you can see, it is at 75% of the original output after less than 5 minutes. If the LED can keep the full 80 lumens for an entire hour, I would be thrilled!

Compare that to one of the Surefires using a Luxeon III LED

Old December 5, 2007, 02:12 PM   #6
dwatts47

Quote:
Where did you get the 1.25 hours?
some of the different models of LED lights list 1.25 hrs as their runtime.

Been using surefire lights for around 6 years now.... Have yet to be able to tell the difference in light output from minute 1 of fresh batteries to minute 54... actually timed it once. at 57 minutes I noticed it dim substantially and at 62 minutes the 6P I was "testing" was completely out.
Old December 5, 2007, 02:25 PM   #7
revance

I actually found the answer to my question...

This graph is a little misleading because they put the LED module in a regular G2 that has a plastic head (rather than the aluminum one that comes with the G2-LED). The plastic insulated the head and caused the temp protection to kick in and reduce the output. I imagine a regular G2-LED would be comparable to the 6PL since both have an aluminum head.

Looks like you get about 3 hours @ 75 lumens... which is incredible!

Old December 5, 2007, 04:38 PM   #8
dwatts47

now I gotta buy a new light.... too good to not have...

Thanks for the research.