The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2010, 02:14 PM   #1
dgray64

Black powder rifle question

I have a Traditions Deerhunter which is a side lock. It's really accurate and fun to shoot. It has a 1:66 twist barrel. I've been told that I should use round balls or conicals rather than sabots. Is there a reason for this? Is it true? I have round balls and 295 grain power belts. It I can't use them in it, I can use my CVA Wolf which has a 1:28 twist barrel. I just enjoy shooting that cap lock more than the inline. Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old November 1, 2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

The 1:66 twist is fairly slow but is excellent for patched round balls, as it was designed to do. And it will hold accuracy with heavy hunting loads. Sabot and conicals, in all probability, will not shoot accurately with it. This type rifle is more traditional than many around today.
You can take to the range and test. See what works for you. There is no danger in just trying the sabots and conicals with reasonable loads.
Old November 1, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Pahoo

Quote:
You can take to the range and test. See what works for you. There is no danger in just trying the sabots and conicals with reasonable loads.
This is really what we all have to do and if you need just a bit more mas, get some .495 round balls. Many a deer have been taking with a patched round ball. Have faith and confidence that it will perform for you. If you do go to a conical, get one of the shorter ones as oppose to a longer one. You need a faster twist for conicals in order to stabilize them. Just like a football needs spin.

Be Safe !!!