The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 7, 2014, 04:50 AM   #1
30cal_Fun

Yugoslavian unloading?

I have heard the phrase "Yugoslavian unloading" many times, but wonder where it comes from and if many other shooters use it.

"Yugoslavian unloading" means when you are finished shooting but still have rounds in your magazine, instead of removing the magazine and emptying the chamber, you simple keep pulling the trigger until you run out of ammo. So basically you do a mag dump to unload your firearm.
We use it in a joking sense. For example if someone is shooting very fast or if someone hasn't shot a lot of rounds even when he has been on the range for two hours you can shout "just Yugoslavian unload the thing!"

It seems as if this phrase is used only here in the Netherlands since I haven't been able to find it on google or gun fora.

Does anyone here know or use the phrase "Yugoslavian unloading"?
And does anyone know the origin of this phrase?
Old February 7, 2014, 11:51 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

I never heard of it and it's not on Urban Dictionary dot com. Urban dictionary has an option to define it if you'd like to get it started.
Old February 7, 2014, 12:04 PM   #3
SamNavy

Sounds like a regional thing... I'm sure we have similar terms here in the States. You could easily reaplce "Yugoslavian" with "Redneck" and everybody would know exactly what it meant.

"Hey BillyJoe, you gonna "redneck" the rest of that magazine or what, YEE HAW!!!"
Old February 7, 2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Skans

From the South - nope, never heard of "Yugoslovian unloading" either. Perhaps too many syllables for my tongue to trip over. We pretty much stick with "mag dump" around here. Maybe you could go with "Yugo Mag Dump"?
Old February 7, 2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have never heard that expression.
Old February 7, 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
2damnold4this

We use the term "Frisian unloading" here in the States. If someone misses their target while "Frisian unloading", we joke that they must be "as drunk as a Dutchman."

We could try and leave ethnic stereotyping out of our discussions but where's the fun in that?
Old February 7, 2014, 06:46 PM   #7
jmr40

With ammo prices today I don't see that being common.
Old February 7, 2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If someone misses their target while "Frisian unloading", we joke that they must be "as drunk as a Dutchman."
Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a gun in Nordfriesland. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't even fought in a war since the 17th century.
Old February 7, 2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Bezoar

more of a "dutch reload" for a german, just take the gun from the dutchman. hes not using it.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:21 PM   #10
30cal_Fun

Seems like this is a phrase only used here. Thanks for thinking along guys!

Our shooting club's gunsmith is from former Yugoslavia, he knows the phrase but has no clue where it might have come from.

I think every country has it's phrases that are basically an insult to how some other country performs a certain action. But hey, we all use them and most are even funny.
I could get angry over someone using "Dutch" in some phrase.