The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
isaias_1

Hornady Lock-n-load case prep center "FAIL" (CA)

So, I took the plunge and bought the hornady case prep center. The new one. Got it from Midsouthshooterssupply.com good deal as I got the case activated powder drop too for $500 shipped to my house. I ordered last Thursday (21 Feb 2013) received Monday (25 Feb 2013). Opened it at about 5pm and set it up to cut .223 brass. Went through about 100 the first night. Another 200 the second day and 300 the third day. Then today I went through 100 cases before the motor seized and stopped all together (28 Feb 2013). Now I don't know how much use one can put on this piece of equipment but I couldn't even get through 600 cases before if blew. For the price I paid I am very dissapointed. I have contacted Hornady and they will send me a shipping label to send it back to them and have it repaired or replaced. What are your thoughts on it? Should I stick with it and give it another chance or should I just return it to midshouthshooterssupply and get another more reliable unit? Thanks
Isaias
Old March 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
praetorian97

I love the concept of it but I have heard about the quality of manufacturing being low. Only thing keeping me from buying one.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:30 AM   #3
dacaur

If it meets your needs, I would give it another try. With anything electrical, there is always the chance it will fail, and when something like that DOES fail, it almost always does so with quickly.....

In the world of computers when we build a new rig, the common thing is to do a "burn in", which is setting it up with a program running that taxes it at 100% capacity and let it run like that for several days. If something is going to fail, that will make it fail, but if it passes that test, it will most likely last trouble free for years.....
Old March 1, 2013, 03:06 AM   #4
rajbcpa

Hornady has VERY serious quality control issues recently. I refuse to buy ANY of their products now.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Fire_Moose

Re: Hornady Lock-n-load case prep center "FAIL" (CA)

At least they have good CS.

...so I hear...
Old March 1, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
rduckwor

Yes, their CS is excellent. I called them about a new auto powder dispenser that wouldn't work out of the box. They took rapid good care of me. Give them a chance. Good folks.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:07 PM   #7
flashhole

I have had problems with Hornady stuff in the past. My last go-round with them was related to the Lock-N-Load press adapter that goes into the press to accept their die bushings. It was way out of thread spec and I tried to get them to make good on it. No Go. Their Customer Service people told me to go pound sand, said both my Redding and Lee Presses were defective and would not replace a 3 dollar potmetal part. I had two other bushing adapters that worked fine and the third one was defective. I have been purging my bench and supplies of anything Hornady, almost there. Won't ever buy their stuff again. I feel your pain!

Are you ready for civil war?