The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Sweet Shooter

Stress

I noticed the mention on another thread. Maybe it's just me but hearing anyone say that shooting is a cure for stress is worrying to me. I can certainly appreciate zen and chilaxing, but I hate to have stress heads next to me at the range.

There was one guy who I thought for a while was going to flip his lid. Every week he would get red faced, and cuss under his breath at his sprawling groups... and just give off all the wrong signals. He chain smoked and it was very unpleasant to be within 20 feet of him. And if ever the wind blew... jeeeez you should have heard this guy. My answer was simply to leave.

I don't think it's fair and consider it an imposition. I personally also consider those folks who can't handle routine pressure in the first place to be unstable.

I'm not aligning my observations of this guy with those guys in that other thread (that's why I stayed away from that thread) I don't mean any offense, but I'm interested in how you guys really feel about it?

Does identifying the sport/activity as a form of stress relief—as a safety valve, prop up a requirement for mental-heath background checks before ownership, for people who are not previously known to have issues?

-SS-
Old February 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
Does identifying the sport/activity as a form of stress relief—as a safety valve, prop up a requirement for mental-heath background checks before ownership, for people who are not previously known to have issues?
While I understand what you are saying conceptually I think you are overstating the risk. Participating in hobbies, recreational activities and the like is a very healthy and necessary form of stress release for most people. I would be more concerned about people who have no outlet or release for the daily pressures of life.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 17, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

There are varying levels of "stress", and stress itself is not even a bad thing. Does your heart speed up when you exercise? That's stress.

If you can describe any activity as "relaxing", that means that by definition, you had some amount of stress before partaking in the activity.

Now, if you have someone that literally has to get to the range and put some lead downrange or he's going to choke someone out, that's a different matter entirely.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
Absolutely not. Just because someone might get stressed out while doing a particular activity has nothing to do with needing a mental health background check. Have you ever seen how angry some people get while golfing? Or bowling? A golf club or bowling ball could just as easily kill someone as a firearm but you would never hear someone suggest a mental health background check being required to purchase one of those things, would you?

Heck I've seen guys throw fishing poles and tackle boxes right out of the boat after breaking a line........are they a threat to society? I saw a guy throw a $1,000 shotgun once because it jammed up on him when he needed to make a shot at a deer. Again, was he in need of a mental health check?

Stress relief doesn't have to make sense, it just has to work. Sometimes the best thing to get the stress out is just to blow your lid for a minute or two. Sure it might make you look like a madman to bystanders (like the guy at the range looks to you), but looks aren't everything you know. As to the chain smoking....well I wouldn't want to be around him either in that regard.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old February 17, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
hoytinak

I use a range trip as a stress reliever all the time. If I was having a bad day when I had my M16, I'd take my lunch break at the range and empty a couple mags on fullauto right away.....now that's a stress reliever.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
dev_null

If these guys are getting stressed out while at the range, then it's obviously NOT a stress reliever for them.

To me shooting is a stress reliever in the same way camping at a mountain lake (or whatever) is: I go in feeling like my mental pipes are clogged and come out feeling relaxed. (And then I get home and have to clean the guns, but that's the price of a good time. )
Old February 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Sweet Shooter

All good points. I understand that everyone will experience stress and that chemical changes happen in certain situations, but what I see as unstable is when one does not know how to deal with those changes in— say— adrenalin.

I also understand that sometimes you have to get mad at something in order to break it, to make it move or turn—and I understand that can be a controlled anger.

But throwing golf clubs is an indication of poor coping skills in my opinion. When people get out of control that's when things get dangerous isn't it?

If people are out of control themselves how can they be expected to maintain control over a firearm? Isn't it one of the golden rules.

I see enough people at the range that on their best days can't seem to keep that barrel from sweeping the benches. I'd rather not have to be around when they start throwing stuff...

But wait, there's a darker side to this. What about the people that appear ice cool on the outside but have flipped a switch on the inside?

-SS-
Old February 17, 2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Sparks1957

Nothing makes me feel better after a stress-filled day at work than shooting a couple hundred rounds at the range. I always feel better afterwards, even if I'm not shooting particularly well that day. It keeps me from taking my aggressions out on the people around me.

People who can't release that aggression, and have guns in their hands, might be a cause for concern. It should be a safety valve.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
ltc444

I'm probably the guy who got this thread started. After all I did refer to Zen in a recent post.

Until recently I was employed in high stress, multitasking, jobs which often required responding to immediate life threatning situations. Often my work was not measureable for months or years.

Shooting allows me to regain my focus by excluding all external stimulus, and focusing on a series of repeatative steps to achive a result. The results are readily measurable. Ten shots in the X ring at 50 yards validates my skill and gives me a sense of worth.

The Zen masters were often great archers. The mastery of their bow was an indicator of their development in their study.

Someone should write a book "Zen and the Art of shooting"
Old February 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Rusty35

It sounds like you are stressing about this a little too much.

All Hobbies are a from of stress relief.
Relaxing,chill-axing, seeking zen, all forms of de stressing.
Old February 17, 2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Twigs199

Is this guys name Tiger Woods?
Old February 18, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
gunluver

When I am at the range I forget about my normal everyday stress from job, family, etc. All I do is concentrate on my fundamentals and the joy of shooting. I always feel better and more relaxed by the end of my range session. If I don't have a chance to get to the range for a few weeks, I feel my stress kind of building up....I make it a point to get to the range to "de-stress." It is my hobby and passion, and it relaxes me.
Old February 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13
gringojosh

I think shooting offers relief from stress because your accuracy relates directly to how stressed you are. If your heart is pounding, it's hard to keep the sights on the target. So shooting acts as a feedback mechanism. The more you relax, the better you shoot. Unless you've been trained to shoot under extreme duress, you won't do a good job of it.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Bittervinom

I have had the pressure cooker stress on me several times and I finally did the right thing and Went to see The Doc. He checked me out and told me it is time to do something about the stress...He prescribed me Xanax. I am not saying this is for everyone or it will work for you. He got me to take this for a month and it has helped sooth the angry little man inside. Next step was the couch doc...
Old February 18, 2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Chris_B

I think that the idea is that when people "get mad" they go shooting as a way to relax, and that might be bad.

if that's true, the mistake is confusing "stress" with "anger"
Old February 19, 2012, 02:47 AM   #16
MLeake

I look at the dojo as a form of stress relief. Does that mean I should get a psych exam?

Although I get the relief more from taking rolls and breakfalls, than I do from throwing or locking up others.

I've also been known to relieve stress by downhill skiing, motorcycling, mountain biking... and, yes, shooting.

Perhaps the OP thinks type T personalities in general are scary?
Old February 19, 2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Uncle Buck

I was attending a nutrition and wellness class and the instructor talked about stress and eating. She then asked what causes us stress and what we did to relieve it.

Now this class was held in Kansas City and I think I was the only country boy there. My turn came and I told them some of the things that stressed me out. "OK Mr. Buck, what do you do to relieve stress?"

"I start shooting"

She looked horrified, another man jumped up and said, in a very loud voice, "Man, you can't do that! What if you hit someone or someone calls the police? Your gonna end up in jail my friend!"

I was totally baffled until I realized they thought I shot at people or in the house. When I explained I went out behind the barn and shot at targets, on a range I set up, they looked relieved.

Shooting is a stress relief for me. For a little while, all I have to do is concentrate on a little dot on a target. Concentrate on my stance. For that little bit of time, I am not thinking about what-ever stressed me out.

When I am done shooting and putting things away, cleaning the gun(s), I can revisit the problem that caused me stress, I can think about it in a different frame of mind.

I think throwing things are a different type of stress and someone that does that needs to find a better way to deal with it. But if it works for them (and they can afford it) and no one gets hurt, good for them.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:18 AM   #18
WyMark

I have a job that can go from boring as hell to super high stress in a matter of minutes. Plus I have a couple coworkers who are the laziest and most incompetent people I've ever met.

Blasting a few hundred rounds of .22 at steel knock downs is a great way to work off stress and frustration. I get to focus 100% on something other than work or anything else for an hour or two, and that's a good thing.