The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 11, 2000, 08:47 AM   #1
John

need some help, a friend received an old double Barrel shotgun. It has no brand name on it I can
find but it has "OCCIDENTAL" on the left side of the receiver and "THE INTERCHANGABLE"
on the right side. On the top of the barrel it has on the left barrel (breach end) "CHOKE BORE" and
on the rib it has "??????? LAMINATED STEEL" It has exposed hammers. Her dad told her it was
made in Belgium but all the words are in english so I don't know.

If anyone can identify or guide me in the right direction for the identity and price in fair condition
would be a big help.
Old August 11, 2000, 02:52 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it was made in Belgium, there should be some proof marks under the barrels that look like an oval with the letters ELG in it and something that looks like a tower.

Laminated Steel was another name for what we call Damascus. The barrels were made by wrapping pieces of iron and steel around a mandrel (a round bar) and heating them up until they could be welded together by pounding with a hammer. As you might surmise, this did not produce the strongest barrels, and age has not improved them any.

I recommend you remove the firing pins and retire the gun to a wall hanger. As to value, those guns sold for around $5 a century ago and were considered low grade at the time. They seldom bring more than $75 or so on the antique market, and then only for decorators, not usable guns.

Jim
Old August 12, 2000, 09:51 AM   #3
John

Thanks for the info. There is something stamped under the barrel at the breach, She doesn't want to break it down because the wood has a crack in it (what can I say) so I cant really read it.