The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 10, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

New WY law proposed to allow concealed carry without license

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2011/Introduced/SF0047.pdf

The new law introduced will be an ammendment to the existing statute covering concealed waepons. Basically, it says that if you DON'T have a concealed weapon permit already, BUT IF you would have met all the legal criteria to do so, then you can carry a concealed weapon anyway.

The way I see it is it's for law-abiding citizens who don't see the need to go through all the hoops to get a CWP, figuring they'll never need it, but then something changes abruptly in life and all of a sudden they do have a concealed weapon on them.

I haven't heard much public comment on it yet. The Legislature convenes tomorrow and will be in session for 40 days. I'm sure the press coverage will intensify soon.

Last edited by Doodlebugger45; January 10, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Given the Giffords et al. shooting in Arizona, I doubt the WY law will get much favorable support. Great idea, bad timing.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 11, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

Wyoming, not NY.

Nope, I doubt that such a law would even be considered in NY.
Old January 10, 2011, 06:04 PM   #4
csmsss

I'd prefer that each state go Vermont-style, but this is a good outcome.
Old January 10, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Patriot86

I am very pro 2A but sorry, I support some sort of reasonable (2-4 hours) training at NO CHARGE for anyone who wishes to CCW. Just like boating, a drivers licence may mean you have the legal right to do something but it does not mean you will know how to do it correctly. Boating as an example, I went through an 8 hour course of my own free will and on my own dime. I learned the "laws of the lakes", rules and a lot of good general information. Every time I boat, I see people doing stupid dangerous stuff that has them and those around them inches from serious injury or death.

I think if you are going to take on the responsibility of potentially having to shoot a lethal weapon around tens or hundreds of innocent civilians you can take a 4 hour class showing some basic marksmanship and understanding of your weapon, of the laws and consequences of your actions.
If we had a national "Florida Style" law that did not cost you $100.00 every 7 years I would be happy.
Old January 11, 2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

I do agree with a lot of the points you raise Patriot. There are always potential downsides to increasing freedoms. There are risks to the safety of innocent persons when an untrained individual starts carrying a concealed weapon.

Of course, we already have the right to open-carry here without any kind of permit and that doesn't appear to invite goofy people to wreak havoc yet. And the other argument of course is that irresponsible people don't tend to abide by laws anyway.

Overall, even with some of the risks involved, I am in favor of reducing regulations on law-abiding people. Perhaps I am naive though.
Old January 11, 2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
I'd prefer that each state go Vermont-style, but this is a good outcome.
As a vermonter who has been residing in Tennessee for a number of years I can say there are pro's and con's to everything.

I can carry in VT with a TN permit, but I cannot carry in TN with a VT permit as there isn't one.

31 states recognise the TN permit without the ned for a non resident permit. I believe only Alaska recognises VT's, although I could be wrong.

That said, If all states were as clear thinking as VT....
Old January 11, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

A right with unnecessary restrictions isn't a right, but a privilege.

How about a special training requirement before signing up for an interenet connection? How about a government fee before you could choose a church? How about a background check before you could open a checking account or get married or buy books and magazines?

"Yeah, but wait a minute, Standing Wolf," someone's no doubt objecting. "People can get killed with guns, but not with books and so forth."

I submit readers of the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf have killed millions more people than all the firearms owners in the U.S. combined.
Old January 11, 2011, 09:31 PM   #9
youngunz4life

I hope the law passes + it's a good start. I would think the recent transactions in AZ would only help the passing of the law and not hurt its chances
Old January 11, 2011, 10:09 PM   #10
armoredman

Sorry Patriot, but I disagree, there is no other Constitutionally guaranteed right that requires training, no journalism class for 1A, no literacy test for voting - in fact, I think that was tried a few years back...
No, AZ has it right, any person may carry concealed with no intent to commit a crime without a permit. Yes, Yankee Traveler, that includes you, too.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
How about a special training requirement before signing up for an interenet connection?
Some days, I think I could get behind that one.

I've no doubt that someone will try to equivocate the tragedy in Tuscon with Arizona's liberalized carry laws, but I also doubt such arguments will carry much weight.

Good for the Wyomingites. Let's hope other states follow suit.
Old January 12, 2011, 09:16 AM   #12
OuTcAsT

Quote:
I am very pro 2A but sorry, I support some sort of reasonable (2-4 hours) training at NO CHARGE for anyone who wishes to CCW.
I disagree, RIGHTS do not need "training wheels" Just my .02

Good on WY, hope it passes, and spreads to other States.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old January 12, 2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Doodlebugger45

The Wyoming legislature is now in session. They have an online hotline available if you wish to endorse or oppose a specific bill. This bill is SF0047. Go to the following site and follow the directions:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/postcomm...isclaimer.aspx

I assume this is for WY residents only, although I didn't see any way for them to verify that information.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I disagree, RIGHTS do not need "training wheels" Just my .02
Rights don't. People, well, they often need a whole lot more.