The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 16, 2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Dragon55

"Well, sometimes... but you gotta really cook it until it's dead! "

Exactly how long does it take to get it plumb dead..... cuz I shore wouldn't want it to be barely dead.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:31 PM   #27
simonkenton

I can tell how much fat is in food by the taste.

Can't you?

Also you can cut into a cooked ham. Domestic pork there is a thick layer of fat, wild hog, not much fat.

Also, when you cook a ham, you can see how much grease has dripped down into the bottom of the pan.

It is pretty simple really.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:40 PM   #28
2rugers

Some of you are just plain hilarious.

Wild hog is delicious. No matter if it is a boar or sow, 5 lbs or 500 lbs.

Now with that said a big unnutted boar (can be), not always mind you, a bit Musty.
What I mean by that is that if there are sows in heat around and their blood is up from fighting and fornicating they can get funky smelling.

Here is how that is remedied.
Take the boar and quarter him into a big ice chest full of ice water.
Pour a cup to a cup and a half of vinegar and 16 ounces of lemon juice in the water.
If the meat starts to turn a blue color, cut back on the vinegar when you next drain the water.
Drain and refill with the aforementioned recipe when the water is very bloody.
Repeat this over the next 5 to 7 days.
The result is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS wild pork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg august 08 deer 158.JPG (94.0 KB, 114 views)
Old December 16, 2009, 08:12 PM   #29
Hog Buster

Check out:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=382267
Old December 16, 2009, 08:30 PM   #30
Nnobby45

Quote:
As to friends tying things round a balls nuts to make them drop off- how would you like it if someone did this to you!

LOL, Ah Jeez, let climb back up in my chair.

How would you like some one shooting you in the first place? And don't forget, it would make you taste better.
Old December 16, 2009, 09:01 PM   #31
troy_mclure

the smallest feral pig i have eaten was 5lbs gutted! lol, the biggest was a old, old, 350lb boar, the meat on that sucker was verry tough, and "musky". it still made delicious smoked sausage.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 16, 2009, 09:07 PM   #32
Dougw47

I hunt hogs here in East Texas...

...farmers let me hunt anytime I can get free. They are glad to see me and my brother/son come. It is a win-win situation and the meat is great!
Old December 16, 2009, 09:23 PM   #33
kwells6

people here who dont eat them, rare, donate them to food banks
Old December 16, 2009, 09:43 PM   #34
jimbob86

It can't be worse than carp, and I eat that..... What? I got 5 kids to feed!
Old December 17, 2009, 08:02 AM   #35
2damnold4this

I can tell how much fat is in food by the taste.

Can't you?

That's a very subjective way of measuring the fat content. You might be mistaking collagen that has been turned into gelatin. We have no way of knowing how accurate your ability to taste fat is. For example, can you tell if a bite of pork chop came from a Tamworth and a Duroc? I'd have a hard time. On the other hand, science does have a way of determining the amount of fat in muscle tissue.

Also you can cut into a cooked ham. Domestic pork there is a thick layer of fat, wild hog, not much fat.

If you are looking at a layer of fat around the ham, you are measuring subcutaneous fat, not intramuscular fat.

Also, when you cook a ham, you can see how much grease has dripped down into the bottom of the pan.
Grease won't be the only thing that drips down into the pan when you cook a ham and a large portion of the fat that drips down will be subcutaneous fat instead of intramuscular fat. A better way to test intramuscular fat would be to cook down a loin eye from a domestic pig and one from a feral hog and compare the two.

It is pretty simple really.
H.L. Mencken said: "For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple--and wrong."
Old December 17, 2009, 10:20 AM   #36
MoBart

When I was stationed in Florida I shot several in the Ocala National forrest, loads of fun hunting them and in that forrest. I shot a couple in NC also. The preffered meathod of eating them there is to BBQ them like any other hog with the exception of some guys mix up a syrup and brown sugar concoction and open the pit and hose them down quite a bit, like every half hour or so. Then they pull it like anyother hog and used that vinigar based sauce on it. Way different then anything I ever ate growing up here in Mo, but tasty as hell. Much like the La guys were saying it takes all day so lots of drinking and bull****ting going on. Lots and lots of fun, and a good meal on the end of it.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:44 PM   #37
Fat White Boy

I hunt hogs in the Central Coast of California. The one I took this summer was full of barley from the farm adjacent to the property we hunted. Free range, grain fed pork! Organic! It has great flavor but it is very lean. When I make sausage out of it, I mix it 50-50 with store bought pork.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:12 AM   #38
Bud Helms

Here in middle GA, I pretty much quit hunting deer and concentrate mainly on hogs. They taste better and the gut pile is smaller, pound for pound on-the-hoof, so the yield of edible meat is greater.

Deer fat is waxy. It doesn't "melt" when cooked like beef or pork fat. That makes it seem leaner and tougher, so more care and prep is required to meet your meat market over-the-counter texture and taste expectations. Hog meat here isn't as wild tasting as the venison and we take it right out of the freezer and cook it straight up. 'Can't do that with venison. Oh, you can, but I just can't seem to tolerate it as well.

All that and hogs are easier to hunt, too.

'Just my experience.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:35 PM   #39
Parabuteo

Do you eat hogs or not

Sounds like the guys catching the hogs are using what's known as an Elastrator.......that is not a good way to work hogs......they become susceptable to tetnus infections. The best way is use a sharp knife, cut and remove the testicles so the sack can drain and hit the hog with an antibiotic before turning it loose.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:39 PM   #40
Grainraiser

Give me a 50lb hog slow cooked in a smoker and life can't get any better. I have fed them to many folks who have said they don't like wild game. I only tell them after the BBQ while they are licking there fingers .
Old January 9, 2010, 09:47 PM   #41
Doyle

I just finished grinding up 35lbs of sausage from a pig that I killed last Saturday. It was actually 28lbs of wild pork but it was so lean that I had to add fat trimmings from commercial pork to get the fat content up enough to make breakfast sausage.
Old January 22, 2010, 12:52 PM   #42
rem870hunter

i would if giving the chance to .

the deer zone i hunt has a section that has feral hogs running around. i've been keeping 2 eyes out for them and hog sign the last 2 deer seasons. no luck,we don't have a an actual hog season here. but if i did see one and had a good shot at it. i would take it.
Old January 22, 2010, 03:44 PM   #43
The Tourist

I live in a northern state, but I have talked to the Graham brothers and seen a cable show on the population explosion of feral hogs.

There is no doubt in my mind that some people love to eat them. I would also surmise that many people don't care for feral hogs, or any pork product, for that matter.

My position is that these hogs appear to be a bottonless asset, we could feed folks cheaply.

In addition, there are numerous professional and semi-professional barbeque champions that must have a process or sauce recipe designed for just such meat.

The hunters seem to love the sport, the Graham Brothers seem to have the butchering knife down pat, the farmers would love them gone, and barbequers revel in their prowess.

A little financial backing and we could have another food franchise...
Old January 24, 2010, 12:21 PM   #44
gitarmac

The couple I have eaten were not gamey at all. I have had some tough cuts though. Pressuer canning/cooking really helps in that department. I was surprized at how mild the meat tasted. I am thawing another cut to cook later on tonight. I will post my results.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:33 PM   #45
txbuckhuntin

Ever heard the story about the best way to cook a wild hog? You put the hams on a pine board and marinade it in Dales marinade for 20 minutes. Wrap it in foil and let it stay on the board while it marinates. Put your smoker on 350 and cook it for an hour. Then, throw the hog away and eat the board. Really it's not quite that bad, but get a pig under 75 pounds. I wouldn't donate a big boar to charity.
Old March 15, 2010, 01:40 PM   #46
Christchild

The Tourist! Post #43...awesome!!! That actually sounds like an absolutely PERFECT avenue for HogDogs!!! He harvists many hogs, himself, and I'm almost certain He knows quite a few others that would gladly help to supply HogDogs' Grill or maybe The HogDog Grill...HOGDOGS!!! Where Ya'at, Bro!?!?!
Old March 15, 2010, 01:49 PM   #47
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The obvious caveat is the government oversight won't allow "un-inspected" meat to be sold...

I can sell live hogs but not meat...
Brent
Old March 15, 2010, 02:06 PM   #48
slammedsi

I eat everyone i shoot. and if i am full at the freezer i process it myself and give it to friends and family. Hell i shoot the things out of my back yard. they are every were here in North texas
Old March 15, 2010, 03:46 PM   #49
coltaholic

hog dinner

I saw this on the cooking channel---it really works

boil the shoulder or ham or ribs ( in a big pan or cut it into smaller pieces) until the meat is tender and almost falling off the bone. I put 1/2 cup of peanut oil in the water along with some meat seasoning or creole seasoning--
then pull the meat off the bone and place in a pan with bar b que sauce (pulled pork) and bake for about 1 hour at 250 degrees. or, put the ribs or roast in the smoker and smoke at least 2 hours or to taste. It is delicious, and i've had a lot of tree-huggers tell me it was the best pork roast they ever had. after clean-up I'd let it slip that it was wild---
Old March 15, 2010, 05:10 PM   #50
crghss

There is a place I hunt that is an abandoned citrus orchard. Grapefruit and different kinds of orange tree growing all over it loaded with fruit. If you look on the ground you can't find one piece of fruit. Which is amazing since fruit must fall every day and hogs must scoop it up that fast. I would think that these pigs must taste different then a pig raised somewhere else. Just because of diet.