The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
flagaman

32 S&W long to 32 H&R mag.

Need educated opinions please, if a 32 S&W long chamber was reamed to accept 32 H&R mag, would a S&W mod. 31-1 handle them (pressure) on a VERY limited basis? I know the H&R pressure is much higher, but I wonder if the cylinder would handle the pressure on a limited basis. Am I very far off base? Just curious.
Howard
Old May 3, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

buy a bigger hammer

I would be carefully considering "heat treatment".....
Old May 3, 2009, 10:42 AM   #3
BillCA

The .32 S&W Long typically loads a 98g bullet at 750-780 fps. The .32 H&R Magnum loads a 95gr bullet to 1020 fps and the 85gr to 1100 fps.

SAAMI lists the .32 Long pressures at 17,000 psi, but unfortunately the .32 H&R Magnum is 21,000 cup (copper units/pressure), which is not comparable.

But as to your original question, I wouldn't have a problem with doing that. As long as you limit the use of the .32 H&R Mag and closely inspect the gun for throat erosion or cracking.

Rather than change the gun, if you reload, I would carefully work up some "hotter" .32 S&W Long loads. Watch for signs of excess pressure and back off if you encounter them. This way, you don't have to spend the money on modifying the gun, just the ammo/loads. The .32 Long cartridge has room to play around as long as you carefully work up your loads.

With that said...
If you're thinking of a defensive gun, you might want to look at the S&W 632CC or the Ruger SP-101 chambered for .327 Federal Magnum. This new round is an elongated .32 H&R and a true magnum that pushes a 100gr bullet up to 1400 fps (from a 3-inch!) and operates around 40,000 psi. Muzzle energy is similar to the .40S&W.

If those are too pricey, you can probably still find a .32 H&R Ruger SP-101 in the distributor network or a S&W 431PD/432PD. I have the 432PD and it's sweet. But I'd rather have the .327 Fed Mag for the power. And the fact it will shoot the .32 H&R. .32 Long and .32 S&W makes it pretty cool.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I know that there was one gunsmith who offered that job. He would rechamber late model S&Ws and Colt Police Positive Specials to .32 H&R. There was some interest in converting Colts from .38 to .32 H&R when the caliber was new and getting a lot of ink and Numrich had .32 NP barrels and cylinders at low prices.

That would let you carry factory loads of about the power you can get from slightly overloading .32 S&W Long.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any S&W .32 with a model number should be OK with the .32 H&R Magnum. I would be a bit leery of the older guns and, needless to say, none of the old breaktops (S&W or other) would be suitable for such conversion even if the cartridge would fit the cylinder.

Jim
Old May 4, 2009, 06:52 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Need educated opinions please, if a 32 S&W long chamber was reamed to accept 32 H&R mag, would a S&W mod. 31-1 handle them (pressure) on a VERY limited basis? I know the H&R pressure is much higher, but I wonder if the cylinder would handle the pressure on a limited basis. Am I very far off base? Just curious.
I hope that you are "just curious", and not wanting to do it. There is gun smithing and then there is gun butchery. If you want a .32 H&R magnum, you should buy one and not destroy a perfectly fine gun.
Just my free opionion.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
BillCA

dahermit,

I agree... the .32 Long is a fine little gun within it's limits. I've seen one specimen that would chamber .32 Mags and it seemed to be doing okay (all steel). I'd still be a bit careful about inspections though.

Better is to reload your own .32 Long ammo, carefully working up one or two loads. You'll be able to work up one that's suitable for you.

But if you want real defensive power, the .327 Magnum is the way to go. And the only way to do that is to buy a Ruger SP-101, a Charter arms or a S&W 632CC model.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:49 PM   #8
rbb50

Quote:
Numrich had .32 NP barrels and cylinders at low prices.
I just ordered an extractor from Numrich for my stevens 20 gauge and I was looking around in their catalog and they have all kinds of barrels and cylinders and other stuff.

While I was looking I was thinking, "Gezzzzz they have enough stuff for sale I could build an entire gun out of parts they sell" LOL

Not going to but they sure do have a lot of obsolete stuff there I could never find any place else such as the extractor for a 1930s stevens shotgun LOL