The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2009, 09:04 PM   #1
2bac 2

223 v-max loads

For Hornady 55 g v-max - Can anyone tell me the starting load and max for H322? I can't seem to find the data for that combo although others refer to it. Thanks
Old February 16, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
A_Gamehog

Load for you

Every powder load made by IMR, Hogdon, Winchester

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited by A_Gamehog; February 16, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
rn22723

Have you bought a Hornady Manual?
Old February 16, 2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Rusty W

I have a Hornady 7th edition. Here's what it lists for a 55gr v-max

Powder 2800 2900 3000 3100

H 322 19.5 20.7 21.9 23.1max
Old February 16, 2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The Hodgdon site does not list the V-max. It is longer than the Speer bullet they developed their posted 55 grain load with. Seat the V-max out to 2.260" instead of the 2.20" number they used, then back their powder charges down 1% to get matching peak pressures. They used a Winchester case and Winchester SR primer. You will have to use them also for this load information to be valid.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 16, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Oberg

Clays Universal 9mm?

I had another thread about a month ago asking about loading a 125 lead round nose bullets for my 9mm. I don't know why i didn't think of if before (propli cuz the varget a use in my rifles hands the cold so well) but does anyone know if Universal is temp sensitive? If so what powder is the least senitive to temp. I tried loads a 3.8 to 4.3 and the gun wouldn't cycle but it was -10 and -15 degrees and yesterday when i shot it was 20 and it functioned fine. any extra thought would be nice thanks
Old February 16, 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like the temperature of your gun oil had more to do with it than the powder charge. All powders have temperature sensitivity at some threshold. If you are worried (and you might be) about malfunctions in a chilly self-defense situation, then you need to work up a cold weather load. Try to make it one that won't be overpressure in summer (not above maximum). You probably want to remove any lubes that stiffen in the cold first, though. You might consider one of the burnished-in Teflon lubes, like Mil-comm TW25B. All excess can be wiped away. There are several dry lube systems. I've also been getting good results with Sprinco Plate+ on steel parts. It is extremely thin and after it has established itself in the steel, you can wipe the surface dry, to all appearances without removing the lubrication effect from the metal. It is permanent. Ditto Shooter's Solutions MolyFusion which is truly dry, but takes a little more skill to apply. You'd want an extremely thin oil over it anyway for corrosion resistance insurance.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 17, 2009, 03:11 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I can't seem to find the data for that combo
Step 1: Buy a Hornady manual.
Step 2: Turn to page 155.

The other members posting here provided what the current Hornady manual has published. However, if you are going to use their components, it is in your best interest to purchase their load data.

If you ask for load data online; all it takes is a typo, and you're in a world of hurt.

Oh, and....
Quote:
.....but does anyone know if Universal is temp sensitive? If so what powder is the least senitive to temp. I tried loads a 3.8 to 4.3 and the gun wouldn't cycle but it was -10 and -15 degrees and yesterday ......
55 grain V-Max and H322 have what to do with this? (No hostilities intended. But where did that come from...?)
Old February 17, 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Oberg

nothing i don't know how I got that on here. I first accidenty posted it on the rifle column then tried to make a new thread here on the handloading column and somehow got it on this page. just struggling. sorry guys
Old February 17, 2009, 08:30 AM   #10
2bac 2

Ok. Thanks for the info - I will buy the manual