The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2013, 08:44 AM   #26
Dwight55

1911 on my person: cocked and locked

1911 on the night stand: condition 2

Main battle rifle: cocked and locked whether in the safe or next to the night stand.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 19, 2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Qtiphky

I have two carry weapons that I sometimes rotate through and they are always loaded and ready to go. One in the chamber hammer down, safety off. I have them in the nightstand next to my side of the bed and a third in a gun safe within the nightstand. Wifey has her revolver in her nightstand. Do I think I will ever need them where I live, absolutely not, but safe today here tomorrow. The dogs will give me enough notice of an intruder that I'm not real worried, that's just where I keep the gusn before I head out again.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:03 AM   #28
Pyzon

No little kids in my house anymore, so guns not in the safe, hand or long, are loaded and locked. BUT...I also painted some 3/8"x 1/8" neodymium magnets bright red and stuck them on the rear of the slides of all loaded guns that cannot be ignored, just to remind me of the fact they are ready to rock.

When a serious situation arises, my belief is that seconds can matter.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:04 AM   #29
Jimboh247

Remington 870, in the closet, next to bed, full tube, nothing in chamber, safety on.

The sound of a shotgun chambering a round is a sound no intruder ever wants to hear!
Old February 19, 2013, 11:25 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Always have a round in the chamber. My CCW, home defense guns, other guns I may carry that are in my carry rotation, my AR-15. I always have a gun on me at all times and the rest are always locked away. But some chambered.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:42 AM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

Carry gun is condition one. Guns in the safe are a mix of condition 3 and unloaded.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #32
countryboy12v

My edc glock 30 full mag +1 on night stand in holster, ar 28 in mag +1 safety on next to dark side of bed, 870 7 in tube +1 safety on in bathroom. Full mag next to g30 and ar and box of turkey loads with 870.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #33
ShamrockArmory

870 in the bathroom!? That'd make for a surprise for a guest. Haha.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:13 PM   #34
SHE3PDOG

I like the idea of having more than one gun for self defense like some here have mentioned. I am stationed in California, so they have a 10 round magazine limit. I keep my gun at 10+1, but I worry that its not enough sometimes. Obviously this is really situational, but I think it is rational to want every edge I can get on an intruder.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #35
ltc444

Cocked and locked in a holster attached to my bed.

Long guns in storage have magazines loaded none in the chamber.

This is due to the remote location and need to protect livestock from predators.

Depending on the threat, coyote vs mountain lion or bear, I have the proper weapon ready for the threat. Merely chamber a round and I'm good to go. Really do not want to face a bear with a 223. Do not need the 338 win mag for a coyote or feral dog.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:51 PM   #36
Sport45

Quote:
The sound of a shotgun chambering a round is a sound no intruder ever wants to hear!
That may be. But any intruder in my house will only hear the safety clicking off. I don't want to take any chances with fumbling the first (and possibly only) shot.

Many don't consider they may not be able to hold the shotgun upright when the need arises. If it's held with the port down when you shuck it the shell may well wind up on the floor instead of the chamber.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:34 PM   #37
ShamrockArmory

Why wouldn't you just hold it parallel to the ground?

EDIT: DOH, because you may be injured. Not enough coffee at the time.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.

Last edited by ShamrockArmory; February 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:46 PM   #38
ronl

So now Bigg Sis has all of your IP addresses with your names and physical addresses, as well as where you keep your guns and what condition they are in. You now have your own file at DHS. Smile, you're on candid camera. Just kidding.(I hope) All my weapons have magazines loaded, safety on. I keep it consistent.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:04 AM   #39
SHE3PDOG

ronl, I should hope not. Either way, I don't see how knowing that you have a gun locked, cocked, and ready to rock right next to you would help at all.

Also, interesting comments about the shotgun loading/chambering.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 23, 2013, 11:13 AM   #40
DarrinD2

I have kids, so I keep my carry gun, M&P9c is holstered in a mini vault on my nightstand at all times when I'm not carrying it; it's always full mag inserted, chamber loaded. My G17 is in the same condition, but in a holster in my gun safe. I don't feel comfortable laying my striker fired weapons ready to go without covering the trigger.

My M4 LE is mag inserted, closed bolt, chamber empty safety off; in my safe

My Mossberg 590A1 is tube loaded, chamber empty, safety off

Last edited by DarrinD2; February 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:05 PM   #41
ripnbst

SD weapons conditions

I have my CCW piece in condition one at all times. It's an M&P9c with no safeties and I have small children. When its not on me it's in places too high for them to get to.

I also keep a .38 jframe in the house for my wife as her HD gun. No safeties here either, just the long smooth S&W DA trigger pull. It too is up high where the kiddos can't get it.

I don't like safeties on any defense guns I run with the exception of my 1911.

Every mag I own is loaded for any firearm I own. None are inserted into their respective firearms though for the ones in the safe because they are in the safe. That's as ready as I feel inclined to be with those firearms.

Last edited by ripnbst; February 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:18 AM   #42
Ghost1958

12 ga loaded ready to go. two 40 sw full mags rounds in chamber on both, model 60 22lr tube maxed nothing in chamber

Until bed one 40 is on me all the time. When I leave the house wife has the other 40 on her hip all the time until im back. Shotgun is by the bed along with 22 rifle, her 40 on her side of the bed mine on mine at night.

Kids are grown and out of the house. Live in he country no close neighbors so if we blow the house full of holes with over penetration I guess we got a big drywall job to do after the invasion
Old February 24, 2013, 09:36 AM   #43
cryogenic419

I have a few hidden strategically placed around the house, all with loaded chamber, mostly full mags, usually -2 on hi caps. CCW is in holster with loaded chamber and -1 in mag. CCW stays in the safe unless I am carrying along with everything else like rifles, shotguns, extra pistols.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #44
ScottRiqui

I keep one in the chamber, both in my carry gun and home defense gun. The reason is, feed failures can happen at the most inopportune times, or I might find myself in a hand-to-hand scuffle right from the start, or possibly injured early on. With a round in the chamber, I'll at least get one "bang".
Old February 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #45
Grant D

Let's se...LCP in my back pocket,Walther P-38 in a clip on holster on the bedframe,Beretta 92FS on the nightstand,LC9 and Model 37 S&W 38 on the dresser,Remington 1875 45 cal.on the shelf with my WW2 helmets,AK-47 in the closet,and a 9MM carbine leaning against the wall.
Also have a SXS 12 gauge next to my chair in the living room.
All fully loaded and one in the chamber.

My wife and I are in our 60's and no children in the house,and we're out in the country,and...oh she has a Colt Detective Special, and a S&W Model 637 on her nightstand.
I know ...I know a little overkill, but what the heck, that's what they're for, protection
Old February 24, 2013, 12:25 PM   #46
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
I know ...I know a little overkill, but what the heck, that's what they're for, protection
I wouldn't say that is overkill. After all, can you ever really have too much protection? I know I, for one, find the line between caution and paranoia to be somewhat blurry.

That being said, there aren't enough people in my home to use that many guns, so I personally wouldn't have that many in condition 1. Although, some other people brought up some pretty good points about having different guns for different situations. I live in the city, so I don't have to worry about a bear in my kitchen, coyotes killing my chickens, or that pesky hog infestation; If I did, however, I would definitely have a few extra condition 1 long guns within easy access for my wife and I.

Old February 24, 2013, 12:56 PM   #47
wpsdlrg

Full magazine, minus one.....and that one in the chamber (I don't do the "+1" thing anymore). Pistol decocked, safety on.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #48
Puddle

My wife and I have kids, so no 'nightstand' firearms for us. GunVaults are under the bed - Sig P220 and P239 (9mm) full magazines + 1 in the chamber. (his and hers... cute, eh?) Our house is situated in such a way that as soon as an alarm is tripped we can access the pistol and be in the hallway in about ten seconds. That is way faster than anyone can get in the door (or window) and up the steps.

My other firearms are all in a locked room in safes. One AR, one AK-47 and a Saiga 12 are quickly accessible with loaded magazines next to each (again, locked in safe).
Old February 25, 2013, 12:49 AM   #49
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
is situated in such a way that as soon as an alarm is tripped we can access the pistol and be in the hallway in about ten seconds. That is way faster than anyone can get in the door (or window) and up the steps.
Having an alarm system will be a must whenever my wife and I can finally afford to live in a house instead of apartments. It would also make me feel WAY better about not having my gun right next to me outside of a safe.

Old February 25, 2013, 03:51 PM   #50
m&p45acp10+1

My carry gun is always kept loaded. I keep an 870 Remington next to the bed chamber empty ready to rack the slide to chamber a round. Wife keeps her carry gun on the night stand next to the bed as well. All guns in the safe are kept unloaded. Ammo is kept in a sperate locker.