The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1
tdgator

CM9 or try another Glock?

I know, I know, another bad decision maker. I have been set on getting a Kahr CM9 as my primary concealed weapon. Had a MK9 years ago and loved it but just too heavy. I know some Kahrs can be a little finicky so I'm starting to second guess myself. I have also had a Glock in the past. Sold it because I wanted something sexier, but it was flawless. So here is the dilemma- do I go with my gut and get the CM9 for conceal ability, or do I stick with proven reliability out of the box and go back to the dark side (Glock 26 or 36)?

A little something about me. I don't get out much to shoot (couple times a year). I have owned revolvers, but they just don't seem right for me. I plan to mainly carry IWB but may pocket carry if I really need to. I live in hot, sunny Florida so usually wear t-shirts and shorts. Some opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
testuser

Everyone is different, but I've tried full sized autos, single stacked autos, compact versions of service pistols and small revolvers and have a few conclusions.

I find that the difference between a single stacked model and a double stack model is pretty insignificant, at least for me it. These guns carry more rounds, have a wider grip (important for me), with a grip sleeve, they can double as a home defense gun and they have just enough weight to keep recoil manageable...usually an unloaded weight of between 19 and 23 ounces. Not to mention, they can except accessories likes lights or lasers.

So, something like a G26 or other double stacked (P99c or M&Pc in my case) gets the nod for inside the waistband, while easily doing double duty for home defense.

The problem is pocket carry. Something like a G26 just seems to wide and too heavy for my pocket...not to mention the 5.5 lbs trigger pull doesn't make me comfortable when only using a soft holster. (Yes, I know this can be changed.) When I want to pocket carry, I use a very "pocketable" gun...a j-frame revolver.

For me, I resort to pocket carry when dressing "nice", tucked in shirts and something like slacks or a nice coat. Having two weapons in the rotation means that I have a lot of options.

Anyway, the PM9 can definitely do pocket carry or IWB, but if you're carrying inside the waistband, you can probably get by with a larger weapon.

It's nice to have options, huh? I'd buy the one that I plan on carrying the most often, with the aim of getting a second pistol down the line.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
JFootin

The CM9 is solid as a rock. I get tired of reading so many posts from people say their CM9 is as dependable as their Glock. Another one that I see so often is when people say how much more difficult it is to conceal their G26 than the CM9. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have both. The CM9 is a great shooting gun, but I hear the G26 is, too. Carry the G26 with heavier clothing in the winter and the CM9 in the summer. I confess. I am a gun nut! To me it is never "which gun", it is always both!
Old November 22, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
KyJim

If you're going to pocket carry some, the Kahr makes more sense unless all your pants and shorts have cargo style pockets.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
orionengnr

You answered your own question.

-The Mk9 worked but was too heavy (23 oz).
-The CM/PM weighs in at 14.5 oz.

If you want to pocket carry, the CM/PM will work very well. The Glock weighs what the MK does, and is fat as well.

Don't get me wrong--we both know that Glock builds an excellent firearm. But not all of us find the "Thick as a Brick" easy to conceal...and for pocket carry, any double stack is a non-starter (IME).

There is no law against owning one of each (not yet, at least)...and the best reason for owning more than one is to fulfill different requirements. Doesn't mean that this one is good or that one is bad. It is whatever works for you.

I have owned a G23 and a G19, and although both are gone, I am currently looking for a G20SF.
I have also owned a PM9, a P45 and a PM45, and still own the first two.

Each has its place. If you can only afford one for the time being....choose the one that can perform the most roles at one time, and expand from there.

Enjoy your search.

Best, Rich
Old November 24, 2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Mosin44az

It depends on how you want to carry. If you really want to carry in a front pants pocket, the Kahr is feasible, to me the Glock 26 really isn't. Otherwise the Glock is a clearly better choice.

I have owned 4 Kahrs (K9 Elite, PM9, CM9, and an awful P380) and will never buy another. Even my "good" ones were finicky and would not function as well as any Glock I have owned.
Old November 24, 2012, 06:14 AM   #7
mumbo719

I live in Florida like you and summer for summer carry the Kahr will carry like a dream IWB or in the pocket. This time of year or when I feel I need the extra firepower a baby Glock or a G19 - 23 certainly comes in handy.

Another good thing about the Glock is it requires little maintenance during the humid, rainy summer weather. Just wipe it down with a cloth treated with a CLP or oil.

But what do I know, I carry CZ's and Kel-Tec's.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Redhawk5.5+P+

I love my Glocks, but give me a CM9 for carry every time.
Old November 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #9
kahrguy

I like glocks better for there mid and full sized pistols and if your pocket cc'n then the cm/pm series works well. If a small pistol is need for better iwb is need the cw /p series works well and offers a full grip for mid sized hands . I never did any "breakin" like so many say to do . Just cleaned lubed and ran 600 rounds thru each my kahrs. Had them a few years now and they have been trouble free.

Last edited by kahrguy; November 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Dashunde

I have PM9 and a G27... the difference between them in the summer heat is very noticable.
If you didnt like carrying the MK9 your not going to like the Glock either, plus its fatter.

The odds of getting a bad Kahr is low despite the occasional complaint around here.

Grab yourself a CM9 and run it through 200 rounds, I'm sure you'll be very pleased and confident by the end.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:20 PM   #11
tdgator

Thanks for the advice everybody. CM9 sounds like the best choice.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:03 PM   #12
kahrguy

Shop well, they can be bought for around 375 dollars.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:00 PM   #13
Shadi Khalil

I like Glocks, especially in 9mm. but I hate carrying them. If I was right handed, I'd choose the CM9.

You should get out and shoot more.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:01 AM   #14
baddarryl

I just went from a G26 for carry to a 19. When I got the 26 (which is a fantastic pistol) I thought I would carry it occasionally in the pocket, but that is not feasible. I can conceal the 19 just as easy as the 26 IWB. For pocket I have a Kel Tec P3at which I think I would trade for a pocket 9 at some point. Not sure if I trust and painful to shoot.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:06 AM   #15
kahrguy

bad if you get a chance to shoot the taurus tcp 380 jump at it. It is 2oz heavier than the KT but really in a different class as a shooter. Great trigger easier to control, slide hold open and fires with the mag out. I have a 100lb daughter that claimed my tcp as her new cc pistol and wife just buy one for a smaller cc. They also don't seem to care what HP ammo is used as we have run 6 top defence brands. Price can be lower too. Our lgs price of 185 black oxid finish like kt up to 260 for black SS.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
Shop well, they can be bought for around 375 dollars.
I bought my new CM9 for $327 out-the-door (on sale at one of Palmetto State Armory's brick and mortar stores).

It's some of the best gun money I've ever spent (next to a CMP Garand). 100% reliable from day one.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Ambishot

Quote:
You answered your own question.

-The Mk9 worked but was too heavy (23 oz).
-The CM/PM weighs in at 14.5 oz.

If you want to pocket carry, the CM/PM will work very well. The Glock weighs what the MK does, and is fat as well.

Don't get me wrong--we both know that Glock builds an excellent firearm. But not all of us find the "Thick as a Brick" easy to conceal...and for pocket carry, any double stack is a non-starter (IME).
I second this statement on the basis of pistol size dimensions. For pocket carry, I would also side with the CM9/PM9 over any glock model.

As for comparing the two pistols for functionality vs. "sexiness" I would first prioritize your CCW's reliability OVER how it looks. Which means that
regardless of the model you choose, definitely get out to shoot more often with it. Figure out which ammo works best through it, how often you should clean it, etc. The more proficient and familiar you are with your CCW is always a plus.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
kahrguy

It would be nice if glock could figure out what a modern day sub compact was and make one. A nice single stack, thin , lite. same trigger and grip angle. A mini g36. Maybe one day.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Dashunde

It would be nice indeed, I'm not holding my breath though...
Old November 28, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
tdgator

"It would be nice if glock could figure out what a modern day sub compact was and make one. A nice single stack, thin , lite. same trigger and grip angle. A mini g36. Maybe one day."

Exactly!
Old November 29, 2012, 08:20 AM   #21
iblong

I had the PM9 and it was a great pistole,I bought it to pocket carry and found
I did not like to carry that way,I found while a little fatter I could just as easily conceal my 27 IWB as the Kahr so I sold it.If I pocket carry and I rarely do its my lcp with lazer in my back pocket.just dont like front pocket carry.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:49 AM   #22
DealHunter

I have a PM9 (got a "good" one) and Walther PPS (.40) that I use when I need to wear a suit or for slim tucked wear IWB (the Kahrs can do pocket as well).

For everything else, if I want a double stack compact 9 the M&P 9c works like a charm (in your case, it would be G26), but I do find that there are times when the double stack is just too fat (then again I'm not a big guy) and I live in a "temperate" climate.

If it's only 1 to do everything, the double stack could work, I think it really depends on how you have to dress/are built.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Roland Thunder

I would take the CM9 over the Glock. Not that it is any better, just more versatile. You can pocket carry or carry it IWB. Also, the price makes it a no-brainer for < $400. I have a PM9 and have had no problems. The CM9 is just a PM9 minus a few features.

If you just have to have a Glock, I would get the G19 over the G26 since the G26 must be an IWB gun.

But for me, it's the CM9 over the G26
Old November 29, 2012, 04:02 PM   #24
Dashunde

^ I agree with the CM9 over the PM9 for a daily carry ccw, life is simply much more comfortable with the CM/PM9's.
However, the G26 can be carried any way you like... iwb, owb, ankle, etc... its just fatter, heavier, and not as comfortable overall.