The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 15, 2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Art S.

pistol training cube

anyone out there tried one of those square training cubes from "Just Shoot Me Products"? trying to find out if they are worth the money.

Art S.
Old April 15, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
spclPatrolGroup

I've seen these sitting on the store shelves as well, just cant figure out if they would be any better than a tin can.
Old April 15, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Art S.

someone sent these Via PM

Is it something like this? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TARGET200-1.html

I have one of those and it doesn't move very much unless you hit it in just the right spot.

I think I'll try one of these next. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TARGET203-1.html

Later,
Art S.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:46 AM   #4
c0nspire

I own two of the cubes and one they call a "top hat". The top hat reacts a lot more if you ask me. The cubes aren't bad, it really depends on caliber and distance. I've used mine mostly with rifles (5.56 and .308) at 50-100 yards and tend to get a pretty good reaction. I've only shot 9mm and .45 at them a few times but they bounced enough to know that you scored a hit. I'm not so sure they'll live up to the round count the mfg states as the centers of mine are torn up pretty good after 200-300 rounds each. That said, they're not that much money and I'm sure I'll buy more if/when these are kaput, however I'll buy the top-hat models over the cubes any day.
Old April 29, 2011, 06:26 AM   #5
TDR911

One note: bullets skipping off the ground at an angle will go almost any direction. Be aware of the background berm and where the bullets are going.
They are fun to shoot at but always make sure the blocks are at the base of the berm.

www.TDR911.com
Old April 29, 2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Pahoo

As I've mentioned before, I am very frugile. That is a progressive word for cheap..!!!

They make a rubbery foam material and one use, is archery targets. It too is self-healing. I cut cubes out of this material, paint it blaze orange and shoot that. I may glue squares together to get larger cubes. The bullet will pass right through it so it doesn't go flying. It's cheap and lasts a long time.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 29, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Got one so that my nephew would have a "different"/fun target when we went out recently.

Read the instructions: 50 yards min, hits to sides should react differently than hits to top or bottom. For .22 to .50 cal.

Long story short... it basically just sat there. Hit it all over the place with .22lr and .223. Used rifles and pistols. Ours was possibly a bit too "self healing".
Old April 30, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
bigghoss

saw a guy at the range with one and he was very happy with his. personally I just as soon use an empty soda bottle or something but some nice ranges might not take kindly to that.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
TenRing

For years I have been using coffee cans for moving target practice. It has a nice sound when I hit it.

I train my kids to shoot BB guns on a target make from large cardboard boxes filled with insulation batting. I don't see a need to pay $10 to $15 for something to shoot. Why pay for something that you could easily make from household supplies or from something that was going to the trash anyway?
Old April 30, 2011, 03:37 PM   #10
JimPage

I haven't tried the cubes. Tin cans don't seem to move much if at all if hit at high velocity. Filled with water they do, but who want's to refill them every shot?

I'm going to try the cubes
Old May 2, 2011, 02:49 PM   #11
markj

Quote:
I train my kids to shoot BB guns on a target make from large cardboard boxes filled with insulation batting.
I do this, and I also put on a target that shows where the hit was. Turns the black to a white circle. My son loves these an can shoot up a can of BBs at a time.

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 2, 2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Removed hijack attempt.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:12 AM   #12
frozenchosen

golf balls.

golf balls. set on the berm halfway up, shoot em, watch em roll around, shoot, repeat as necessary. i get mine 3 bucks a dozen at the golf course, and they stay white so you can find them to pick them up and toss the bad ones when your done.