The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 16, 2010, 11:36 PM   #51
OttoJara

There are alot of Rock n Rollers in Miami, I used to go to the punk shows at The Cameo Theator in South Beach.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old March 17, 2010, 06:40 AM   #52
roy reali

Silver State

Here in Nevada, no license is required and no fees are charged for hunting nongame animals. Even folks from out of state have a free ride.

In California, a hunting license is mandatory even for hunting planted pheasants. I am surpirised that a hunting license isn't required there for swatting flies!
Old March 17, 2010, 06:51 AM   #53
G_Loc

OttoJara,

I stand corrected. Had a bit of a brain fart there lol
Old March 17, 2010, 07:11 AM   #54
rshanneck2002

Dogs and Cats will disappear for sure, but it wont be funny the first time a 3 yr old does out of their back yard,personally,if i lived in south florida i would kill everyone i saw sunning along a road with a 4x4 tire over the top of it. They aint supposed to be here in the wild that is. The impact of this and other invasive species is far from over.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:52 AM   #55
crghss

G_Loc Maybe cause the Water Management District manages most of these places.

earlthegoat2, if I see a constrictor snake in the wild it's dead, period. I'm leaving it lay.

Now thats me, the way I read the rules that seems to be allowed. It's when you want to transport (out of the wild) them that you run into an issue. I'm not suggesting what other people do.

I think FWC has two thinks going on here. One, and foremost, they don't want people catching them and selling them as pets. And they need to gather information on the snake. They want to impose laws against importing or create ways to track these snakes for pet shop or owners. Also add fees to the snake owners and shops that deal with them.
Old March 17, 2010, 12:35 PM   #56
orangello

It occurs to me that they are fighting this invasive species problem on the tail end without a front end attack. Why not start "chipping" all new pythons sold with one of those pet ID chips that could contain info on the breed, breeder, DOB, the seller, and the owner? If someone loses their snake, they get it back; don't want it back, get a stiff fine. I have had a few reptile pets & wouldn't have minded a hidden chip like what is used on dogs & such. It might be noticeable when the animal was very small, but probably not as the animal grows larger.

It could also be helpful to those kids out there wondering where their living slinky went to & wanting it back. Think of the children.
Old March 17, 2010, 12:45 PM   #57
G_Loc

The problem is people who buy them when they're little and cute... then they get huge and they dump them in the Everglades. Its not just people "losing" them
Old March 17, 2010, 01:06 PM   #58
orangello

^^^ I comprehended that, hence the " ". Perhaps, i should have put quotes around "lost". my bad

Realizing that there is now a breeding population in the wild, wouldn't it be of benefit to be able to trace, at least, some of the snakes out there (the recently "lost" or released onces)?

When my last Burmese outgrew my living situation, i found a person to buy him who had proper facilities to keep him long term without endangering any of their other pets or any small kids.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:02 PM   #59
javven

Well - isn't the skin worth some $?

I completely agree - removal of invasive species should be a state - sponsored event. What a -great- opportunity to bring families together, teach firearms safety... turn it into a POSITIVE event.

Instead of that...
Old March 19, 2010, 03:59 PM   #60
artsmom

Quote:
Speck was a good pet
What did it do that made him a good pet, even though he tried swallowing your arm??
Old March 20, 2010, 02:05 PM   #61
orangello

Quote:
What did it do that made him a good pet, even though he tried swallowing your arm??
Well, I don't recall him ever trying to run away. He was VERY low maintenance, one poop per feeding with one feeding every week to week & ten days. He wasn't noisy. He never required veterenary attention and never barfed. He didn't break things in my apartment. He was adequate company for someone as busy as i was at that time (just out of grad school, new job, new area), but he wasn't overly demanding of my time. He seemed to enjoy travelling with me to visit friends still in college, including several trips to friend's fraternity parties. He provided entertainment at drive thru's, occaisionally. When i lived alone & he had the run of the apartment (except bathroom) he provided a bit of a home security system; for some reason, previously unscheduled/unannounced maintenance visits became prearranged & scheduled with adequate notice. Oh, and he was very affectionate & offered lots of hugs to me and friends.

By contrast, my cats can fill a litter box in a few days, barf frequently, demand constant feeding, demand constant attention & petting & grooming, require veterinary attention at least once per quarter each, and have bitten & scratched me MUCH more frequently. My cats make lousy car passengers (see barfing & scratching). Not to even mention all the hair on my clothes & furniture or the scratches on my furniture & claw holes in my shirts. My cats have never been trustworthy enough to take to a party or on a weekend trip. I don't recall any freaky chicks coming home with me due to my cats whereas Speck seemed to have a way with the ladies.

I also don't recall ever walking in when Speck was licking his personal areas, but the cats...well let's not even go there. When these two cats are dead & buried, i am going back to a snake or a painted dragon/agama; mammals are just too much trouble for too little reward. Though, i wouldn't mind a yellow Labrador dog at some point, Lemonjello perhaps.

All that aside, in a one-on-one scrap, unarmed, I'd rather take on the two cats.

Last edited by orangello; March 20, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:17 AM   #62
EK and KK in FM

Evolution Of the Python

As the Florida pythons move northward, they have been evolving and some variations in color have occurred. Although they prefer warmer climates, the overpopulation in Florida has forced this evolution due to lack of food sources.

They have followed waterways and forested areas and move as far north as Washington, D.C. Their skin color has changed to red to blend in with the prey in that area.

Some have moved as far north and west and now exist in the Rocky Mountains as the Snow Python. Their skin color has changed to white to blend in with the snow. There, they can feed on hibernating rodents during the winter months. So far there are no reported incidences involving the ski areas, probably because the pythons prefer solace.

Local gun laws in these places do not allow for unlimited hunting, so the population is expected to explode.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:45 AM   #63
roy reali

Idea?

Why don't they have some sort of charity hunt for pythons? Charge a fee and have all the money go to some worthy charity. Also make sort of contest out of python hunting with prizes going to the largest snake killed. I suppose if the population of these creatures is really that bad, hunting alone might not solve the problem. But a good hunt with as many people as possible might put a dent in their populations.

I also wonder if dogs could be trained to sniff out these reptiles?
Old March 27, 2010, 07:33 AM   #64
1911rocks

EK an KK in FM

The ever elusive Snow Python.....most commonly found in environments associate with Heradura or Patron Tequila. Also quite common in aeras plush with Absolut and Jamesons or Bushmills. Normally hibernating during periods of sobriety
Old March 27, 2010, 11:00 AM   #65
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My understanding is that the Snow Python is often found in company with the dreaded Lounge Lizard.

Or, possibly, seen by said LL after sufficient ingestion of Heradura.

By the time you've gotten your bottle of mescal down to worm-kissing time, those Snow Pythons have likely turned pink...
Old March 27, 2010, 11:08 AM   #66
Vt.birdhunter

"As for the dead snakes, local tanners say they will pay $5 to $10 per foot. "

quote from here
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6278953.shtml

Not a bad payoff at all, 10, 20 foot snake...
Old March 29, 2010, 05:26 PM   #67
publius

Florida wants to get rid of those suckers? Send some buses down to South Louisiana with free Budweiser on board. You'll have enough coonasses to rid the entire State of Florida of every snake there.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:10 PM   #68
Olibobwa

Have to be a fl resident...shoot. Was contemplating calling up a couple of buddies and seeing if they wanted to haul butt down there tomorrow after work until i saw that. Then was wondering what would be the best gun set up for a three/four man group 22's & shotguns?

Yeah right, till you run into one of these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750

49ft long and 990lbs
Old April 14, 2010, 05:49 PM   #69
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Olibabwa, SFAIK the Florida residency is only required for hunting on the State lands. Not a requirement on private land.
Old April 14, 2010, 06:54 PM   #70
Bill DeShivs

"However, just thought about this: Alligators do and they are found all the way up into parts of South Carolina....... "
We have alligators in Memphis, TN.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:57 PM   #71
nogo

I know some guys who hunt and kill wild hogs with a Bowie knife. Hounds will track and catch a hog. Then the pit bull grabs and holds the hog. The hunter jumps amidst the fray and kills the hog with a knife. Nobody--dog, man, or hog--is standing still. They say it's fun.

Are any of you using a knife on your snake hunt?

Nogo
Old April 14, 2010, 08:05 PM   #72
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

nogo, Thus my handle... I do that but rarely "stick" the pig... 98% or so of the time, we use 1/2-3/4" inch nylon webbing called mule tape to hog tie and haul them out alive... And yes it is an adrenaline rush compared by few other things.
Brent
Old April 14, 2010, 10:39 PM   #73
Fat White Boy

In California, You have to have a hunting license to take reptiles. Snakes. lizards, etc...
Old April 15, 2010, 06:18 AM   #74
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

'Nuf wandrin'...
Closed Thread