The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
coldbeer

Front sight too short what are my options?

I bought an Auto Ordnance M1 carbine replica a couple months ago that came with the flip site. It was shooting high 3" and left 3" so I replaced it with a Kensite adjustable site, but it shoots about 7" high at 100 yards even on the lowest setting. I was thinking about getting a new front site but I'm afraid it wont be tall enough and I'd hate to waste money on a new front site if it's the same as the one I have. I'm kinda confused as to what to do and would really appreciate some ideas. Are there any products out there like a front site post extension? I've checked google but didn't find anything.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
kraigwy

Measure your sight radius.

Divide that number by 3600 (number of inches per 100 yards).

The result is how much you need to add to the height of your front sight to move the impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

Multiply that by 7 and it will tell you how much higher your new front sight needs to be.

Example: I don't know your sight radius, so lets say its 18 inches.

Divide 18 by 3600 and you get .005.

.005 added to the height of your sight will move the impact 1 inch down at 100 yards.

Times 7 (you said you are 7 inches high) means your new front sight needs to be .035 higher then your current sight.

Like I said, I don't know your sight radius, measure it and use that number instead of the 18 inches I used.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #3
coldbeer

Thanks Kaigwy, I'm gonna try some JB weld. Do you think it'll hold up? I'm not sinking much more money into this rifle. If the JB weld doesn't hold I'll have the welder at work take a look at it and see if he can put a tiny bead on the front site. If that doesn't work I'll sell it. It's a nice little rifle but I'm tired of compensating to get on target. It takes the fun out of shooting it.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Of course, taking off the same amount on the bottom of the replacement rear sight might give you the same result without having to buy anything else.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
HiBC

If you look on e-bay,or maybe someplace like Sarco,you might be able to find a GI or replica rear sight that has the elevation ramp,several detents for different ranges.It might help.

If you know someone skilled with a oxy-acetylene torch or a TIG,adding a little steel then filing it back to shape is possible.Use Kraigs formula to calculate what you need.I would remove the front sight band so the barrel does not get heated

Could be a new/surplus front sight would be taller,if yours has been shortened.

Now,your original flip sight,the wingage problem can be corrected by using Kraig's formula to move the sight righ/left,so you can zero that

3 in high at 100 yd,IMO,is ideal.Lets you 6 oclock hold on a can or bullseye,and stretches the useful trajectory out a ways,maybe to 150 yds+
Old April 17, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
grumpa72

I think that a thorough and proper degreasing of the front sight, followed by a careful application of JB Weld might just work. The key is a clean surface for it to adhere.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
coldbeer

I tried JB weld with mixed results. The first application flew off on the second shot so I tried it again and it held. For the first time since owning this rifle I'm able to hit empty beer cans without compensating but I don't have too much confidence it it staying there. When/if it falls off again I'll have my buddy at work put a bead on the front site and be done with it.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
the rifleer

If the sight is round you can go to a hobby shop and buy brass tubing. Take that tubing, cut it to length and slip it over the sight post. Then jb weld it or just crimp it on with pliers. You can file it to the correct height, then paint it black when you have it the way you want it.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Sweet Shooter

I had the same problem once. The front sight was a square blade so I cut down into it with a Dremel® wheel along it's length making a trough from front to back. I fashioned a piece of brass plate (which was the same thickness as the Dremel cutoff wheel), and inserted it in the trough and super glued it in. It allowed me to add height and also gave me a very cool-looking narrower vertical brass stripe—it looked like jewelery when I was finished. I'm a bit handy, and cutting the original blade evenly/symmetrically was not easy. But it can be done. Realizing later that my eyes are now 5hite I put a scope on it.

-SS-
Old April 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Axelwik

If the front sight is a single post (not ramp style) you can put a small piece of shrink tubing on it and cut it down a little at a time until elevation is good. Adjust the rear sight to mid-range before doing it.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Grizzdude

Easy fix, use shrink tubing or electrical tape and cut it down so your zeroed at 100 yards. good to go

Please visit my website! Grizzdude's gun's website