The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 1999, 03:05 AM   #1
jcoleman

I've been looking for a holster to hold my USP40 with a SureFire 6v mounted light in a more concealed fashion than that of a thigh rig. I found this one site for a company called Phalanx Arms (www.phalanxarms.com/index.html) that has a holster that can do just that.
However, it does something else. It is designed to carry an unchambered handgun, and then when going to draw, a certain downward movement chambers your weapon as you draw it. I won't go into anymore detail because I don't know too much as far as such specifics are concerned. Nor do I have the experience to form a competent opinion.
Therefore, I ask that, if you have a spare moment or two, to check out the site, which has a lot of info about the function and design of the "L.A.S.H.", as they have named it, and then kinda give me a pros/cons-opinion response. I appreciate all who reply.

Thank you for your time,

John Coleman
Old July 29, 1999, 08:29 AM   #2
Lonewolf69

John,

I'm a new gun owner myself, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I like it ALOT... I just came BACK from the website, and it looks fantastic!!!

I'm thinking about ordering one too, the only concern I had just from reading, is will the spring get weakened (from keeping slide in the open position...)?

I was also planning on using it as a safe as well, so for me the implications are even more dire...

Thanks again for the pointing out the site!!!!

-Alex
Old July 29, 1999, 09:25 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

This looks like a good idea if this is the only holster/weapon combination you ever plan on carrying. A unique manual of arms takes getting used to. You need to be able to produce the weapon from reflex. If you have to think about drawing while in the act, chances are you're going to lose because you'll be trying to remember the draw and not concentrating on the situation at hand. The manual of arms is completely different from anything else. If you do acquire this holster, practice until it becomes second nature. The only presentation that I know that even vaguely resembles this is from Safariland's duty holsters, and that's not even close to this.
Also the idea of a lock on this is pure marketing strategy. If someone wants the pistol, they'll just take the whole holster also and cut the weapon out later. May be good as little child protection, but that's all.
Old July 29, 1999, 02:47 PM   #4
jcoleman

Thanks to both of you for your help. If ever I see an opportunity to return the favor, I certainly will.

Thank you for your time,

John Coleman
Old July 29, 1999, 03:40 PM   #5
Lonewolf69

John,

Let me know if you order one... I'll probably make my decision this weekend!!!

;-)))
Old July 29, 1999, 10:17 PM   #6
jcoleman

Lonewolf:

I'm very tempted; just want to possibly make sure there isn't anything about the holster that I am not aware of that would make a hasty purchase a regretable one. Thanks for your interest; and I will certainly let you know.

John Coleman
Old July 29, 1999, 10:34 PM   #7
Lonewolf69

John,

I've sent these guys email, and I left TWO messages on their answering machine/service hopefully I'll get an answer to the questions I originally posted about you holster!!!

;-)))

SOON!!!!

;-)))))

-Alex
Old July 29, 1999, 10:55 PM   #8
[email protected]
Wise Guy

It's a really interesting system. I saw it in action at the SHOT show and was impressed. With the optional pull pin they say it's secure enough for jump ops.

Here's my take: as a system, I don't see it being used for anything but leg and OWB carry. IWB is impractical for it, as is crossdraw. I don't know if it can be FBI canted or not, but it doesn't look like it'd be very friendly to it.

But, it is secure.... I'd have to actually carry it to see how well it worked. Since I prefer IWB, I'd be SOL....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old July 30, 1999, 12:02 AM   #9
Lonewolf69

Spark,

Sorry I'm a Firearms NEWBIE, what is OWB or IWB stand for...???

-Alex
Old July 30, 1999, 12:30 AM   #10
jcoleman

(Lonewolf: There's a message in this for you near the bottom)

Spark:
As far as my needs are concerned ("concealed" carry w/ tac-lite mounted on the pistol), do you think that it would be a good investment, or is there something I should be aware of as far as this is concerned? At $125, I don't wanna get it and then (a) have to send it back, or (b) get it, find out it sucks and then not be able to send it back, or have to pay a restocking fee.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me.

Lonewolf:
I sent them an email and asked them to send me their materials on it and also to see if I could get that video that comes with the holster, before I actually decide to buy the holster.
Let me know when you get a response from them.

Later on,

John Coleman
Old July 30, 1999, 06:50 AM   #11
Lonewolf69

No Problem!!! ;-))) Let me know if you get the video!
Old July 30, 1999, 09:07 PM   #12
ShadedDude

IWB mean In the Waist Band

OWB is Out of Waist Band

My first impression is that this is a bad idea. There are however a few merits that I will give it on the positive side.
1) its more or less locked in so if someone tried to grab your gun it would retain it.

But isnt that why we carry "concealed"?

2) can carry with flashlight mounted or lazer, or whatever.

This is a good thing, I wish more holsters did that.

The idea of action back has merit with single action weapons, where you would otherwise carry cocked and locked, but with double action, a droped hammer IMHO is going to be just as unlikly to fire.

As the Spark-o-nater stated, this is really only for OWB carry, they would be smart to work on a IWB version.

And finaly the price: $169!!!!
I've had holsters custom made for less than that! You can get an extremely well made Kydex or Concealx holster made for $55 from edge works http://www.tacticalholsters.com or a beautiful leather holster from MD (not to be confused with mad dog knives) at http://www.gunsandgold.com/ for half the price!

IMHO, which this is just that, its a piece of gadgetry, which nifty as it is, I dont see as being something I would trust my life to.

The preceading opinion was mine, not nessicarily the views of anyone else, yada yada yada.

------------------
The Infamous ShadedDude
http://www.inanimatemotion.com
Web Design and Hosting

Old July 30, 1999, 09:30 PM   #13
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I don't think IWB would be an option for this holster and since (as a civilian) I don't like lights on my sidearms, I'd be doubly against that concept with this holster.

As for my opinions on the piece, based on observation, this looks like it'd be an interesting piece of equipment for someone who primaririly open carries. As a thigh holster it probably works wonderfully. If you are on a team and need a light/laser on your firearm and don't want 2 seperate holsters for when the light/laser is off, then this is probably the cat's ass.

I don't like it's looks for OWB concealed, but my exposure with it is lacking and I'm sure with training it could work quite well.

Maybe the guys from Phalanx would be willing to send me one for testing...

Anyhow, in the meantime, get a good Kydex rig, unless you have some sort of elaborate setup that would preclude this. And even then, try for a custom rig.

JMHO, worth less than 2 cents.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old August 5, 1999, 12:10 AM   #14
jcoleman

I appreciate all of your opinions and your willingness to help. I do believe that I will have a custom rig made eventually; juxt wanted to see if this thing could save me the trouble of having to get a custom-made as compared to simply ordering a specified size, fit, and position (etc.).
Last time I checked the site, the price was $125.00; unless they upped the price in the last few days, I don't know how you got $169.
I just think it's rather absurd that none of the larger manufacturers have come out with holsters for pistols w/ weapon-mounted lights that are designed for civilian carry/use. It can be such an advantage to see much better than you did before you activated the light and at the same time, virtually blinding your opponent.
If anyone's got an old horse, I've got a pair of safety scissors and a sewing machine . . . we'll make the damn thing ourselves. He-He.

Thanks for your time and assistance,

John Coleman