The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Picher

Leupold "Long Range" Reticle

I bought a Leupold VX-2 from Cabelas last week (thanks to gift cards) and the only Multi-X reticle they had with wider fine lines was the "Long Range" reticle. I'd wanted the "Wide Multi-X", but they didn't have one in the 3-9X. The scope is on my .243 Win, which is used for coyotes and other varmints, primarily within 300 yards, due to terrain limitations.

The dots, depending on cartridge and zero distance seem useful for shots at 300 and 400 yards and the tip of the bottom post at 500, but I haven't had the chance to use them on critters yet. They may be more appropriate for my .270 Win, which is used for longer-range deer shots.

Anyway, I was pleased with the very nice performance of scope, rifle, and load, when sighting in at 200 yards yesterday. It was a cloudy day with moderate wind, directly in my face, and got results that were comparable to previous ones at half the distance. Guess the planets were aligned just right and the nut behind the buttplate was doing okay too.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
+1k ammo

Glad to hear you like the Leupold.

I had some older scopes that were cheap, but looking to get a good one. Considering Leupold or Nikon monarch.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
myfriendis410

I have the 4-12X VXII with a long range reticle on my .300 win mag and love it. It does require some time with your favorite load to determine the intersection point for the dots, and there can be some horizontal stringing due to gun cant, but it's a nice feature to have available.

I pulled my rifle out one time when prairie dog shooting, ranged a 'dog at 400 yards, dropped a loaded round in the chamber, set the dot on the target and fired. Flipped him up in the air; cold bore shot! Opened the bolt and put it away. That was a good day......
Old July 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
603Country

If you have an iPad, get the iStrelok app and it'll give you the distances that the dots correspond to - if you have the velocity of your load. It's a pretty nifty app.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

Humm...
Quote:
Guess the planets were aligned just right and the nut behind the buttplate was doing okay too.
it seems that that type of self induced explaination of ones self can seriously work against you.