The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2012, 12:28 AM   #1
rcase1234

Step rib?

What is a step rib and what are some pros and cons of them? Just was reading about them and now I'm curious. Happy holidays everyone!
Old December 23, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, step ribs are usually used on Trap-shooting guns, to give a higher line-of-sight for those shooters that prefer to shoot with a "heads up" position.

Old December 23, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
zippy13

With a higher rib, there is less barrel interfering with your field of vision on raising targets. This results in faster target acquisition and higher scores.

One of the surest ways of missing a target is to lose it under your barrel. When a target gets under your barrel, the natural tendency is to raise your head to get a better look (typically subconsciously) and you shoot over the target. A raised rib can help prevent this by reducing your blind spot a little.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:32 AM   #4
olddrum1

Not to sure what you mean by a step rib. Do you mean a raised rib? If you do, they were found to let the shooter keep his or her head in an upright position lessening the stress on the neck when shooting 16 yard targets all day.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
rcase1234

That is what I mean olddrum. Does anyone know how a raised rib is for duck hunting? Like I mean is it good for waterfowl? Happy new year everyone
Old January 2, 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
olddrum1

Nope, would not use for duck hunting.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
nmbrinkman

Step rib?

I personally love the stepped rib. It's not super tall like a skeet model. Just slightly raised maybe 1/8"-1/4" I believe. It all depends you. I really have to jam my cheek into my 870 to get a good look down the rib. I'm sure with shotguns that come with shims and spacers some of that can be adjusted out but it still may not be enough for some. Do yourself a favor and go to your local gun store and shoulder a Beretta A400 or a Browning Maxus and look down the barrel. For me I really have to work to make the rib disappear so all I see is the bead/hiviz sight. On a Benelli, Remington Versa Max or, like what I'll be replacing my 870 with here soon, a Winchester SX3, once shouldered, it puts the rib right where it needs to be. And before anyone tells me that the SX3 and the Maxus are basically the same gun (and they are), the SX3 has a gradual step and the browning does not. Here's an example of the difference:

Beretta A400 (non stepped)

Benelli M2 (stepped)