The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
shootsafe

Question on Lee Classic Loaders

I am new to shooting, about a year.

I want to try reloading and my research led me to the "Lee Classic Reloader" kits. I like to learn by doing and it seems this might be a good way to get started. Is this a good starting point?

More than likely I will not load more than 25 to 50 at a time. I realize this is a one at a time process with multiple steps and will take longer, but thats OK.

Would like to reload my 44mag, 357mag and my 9mm, so as I understand it, I will need 3 separate kits. Is this correct? Looks like Cabela's has them for 19.00 bucks each.

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Now, where do you go to buy the powder, primers and bullets, and how do you know what to buy?

Man, I feel like a rookie, but I really want to try reloading.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shootsafe
Old June 12, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Superhornet

The old "Pound the Round" style of loading. Not recommended if you have many rounds to load. I would look around Lincoln, Omaha, South Sioux City, Sioux City and find some used equipment. Most of these places withing 80 miles of Lincoln. I know gas is high but if you really want to get into loading, a lot of used equipment can be found reasonably priced.
Old June 12, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
deanadell

Go ahead and get a single stage press instead of the "Reloader".

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=104971
Old June 12, 2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Shoney

The Lee kit listed above is certainly a good buy, and you would do well with it. I think you should also look into the Lee Classic Cast Turret (4 hole)
https://shooters.securesites.net/kgs...mart&Itemid=41
and should consider it.

A must read is at the top of the Handloading and Reloading page
Sticky: For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 13, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Superhornet

Shootsafe--check your message board....
Old June 13, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6
fisherman66

I lucked into a free deal where another forum member sent an old classic loader and scale for the cost of postage. I'm assembling supplies right now, so I can't comment on how well they do right now, but it seems pretty straightforward.

If you are planning on loading for 3 or more cartridges it seems like you might be better served by a press. For a higher one time charge you reach a point immediately where all that's left to move to other cartridges is buying new dies. and consumables. Lee has a few combo deals that look appealing, and they may still have a deal where if you buy their manual you can get their basic press for only $5 more.