The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2010, 03:28 PM   #51
NRALIFER

You should look at the list, it has over 200 weapons on it and the Walther P22 is a forbidden gun. This thing is designed to help them in the case that some bad guy gets your gun and uses it. They then sue you for your negligence and you are the criminal. Also very "Big Brother"ish with the info. they will collect.I don't know about the other states but in OHIO I don't need the State's permission to buy a firearm and I can buy more than one per month.
I will never understand the Liberal Bias toward guns, They are scared to death of a tool while they protect the rights of the guys who misuse that tool.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:30 PM   #52
Uzi4u2

What is truly a slap in the face is that the politician are exempt. They (Aldermans) are allowed to own or carry whatever hand gun they want.
I just love how politician write laws exempting themselves from the very laws they create. I guess they think they are better than us. We will see in the end.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:33 PM   #53
Uzi4u2

Filing an annual report. What does that mean? Any ideas?
Old July 19, 2010, 05:44 PM   #54
maqueswell

And when the crime rate decreases do you think the moronic mayor or local politicians give credit to the the individual protecting themselves against criminals?

Nope!
Old July 19, 2010, 05:47 PM   #55
Uzi4u2

This is a partial glimpse of the ordinance. Notice how it starts. It is very very very long. They limit everything. You can't even have a laser sight on your gun. No magazines over 10 rds. Gun must be kept in home only. You are not allowed to take it to the garage. Once you are registered. The police will know before they enter your home that you are a gun owner. If they find anything they considered contraband you will lose all your toys (even your freedom).

O R D I N A N C E
WHEREAS, A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that in the United States there were 30,896 deaths from firearms in 2006, making firearms one of the top ten causes of death in the cou
WHEREAS, Annually, more than 100,000 people in our nation are shot or killed with a firearm, with more than 3,000 of these victims being children or teenagers; and
WHEREAS, The United States is one of the few remaining developed nations that places only a minimal restrictions on the sale or possession of firearms
WHEREAS, Firearm-related injuries and deaths are the cause of significant social and economic costs to the City and our communities and have a severe impact on our criminal justice and health care system
WHEREAS, In 2009, in the City there were 1,815 aggravated batteries with a firearm, of which 83 were shootings inside a residence, and there were 379 murders with a firearm, of which 34 were murders involving a firearm inside a home
WHEREAS, Between the beginning of this year and June, 15, 2010, there were 742 aggravated batteries with a firearm, of which 36 took place inside a residence, and 152 murders with a firearm, of which 19 were inside a residence; and
WHEREAS, Given the dangerous and deadly nature of handguns, in 1982 the City of Chicago enacted a ban on registering handguns as a method to protect public safety and the health and welfare of its residents
WHEREAS, In 2008, the Supreme Court of the United States decided the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, which held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in
m
WHEREAS, After the Heller decision,
WHEREAS, On June 28, 2010, the Supreme Court issued its opinion in the McDonald case and ruled that the Second
WHEREAS, Although the State of Illinois has already enacted several laws to regulate the sale and possession of firearms, these laws are not sufficient to protect the City from the unique and heighten

Last edited by Uzi4u2; July 19, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:50 PM   #56
SimplySebastian

Mayor Daley keeps setting Chicago up for lawsuit after lawsuit. This next one should be a dandy.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:51 PM   #57
COSteve

I will never pass a court challenge which is where it's headed.
Old July 19, 2010, 05:59 PM   #58
Uzi4u2

You are allowed to have only one functional gun in the home. So be very careful what you chose :-) All of your other guns must be kept in a non-functioning state or shall have a trigger lock or other mechanism, other than the firearm safety mechanism, designed to render the firearm temporarily inoperable. If they come in and find the other firearms operable even if they are registered you will lose them!!!!!
Old July 19, 2010, 06:15 PM   #59
Young.Gun.612

Good God I'm so GLAD I don't live in Chicago!

How is it that Chicago politicians can think they're doing good, when there is a plethora of evidence to the contrary?
Old July 19, 2010, 06:33 PM   #60
elad

More years of litigation for sure. Only 1 operable weapon per house no matter how many licensed people live there. CRAZY!
Old July 19, 2010, 06:52 PM   #61
Chris_B

I'm taking a different slant here

I see this is a confession that says Daley cannot control the criminal element to the extent that he expects law abiding gun owners to be burglarized, since they can't curb crime
Old July 19, 2010, 07:10 PM   #62
THORN74

let me first say, I AM NOT A FAN OF DICK DALEY.

but i am a law abiding citizen/gun owner. I have ZERO problem with gun "regulation", but a rather large problem with the city's gun ban. thankfull the supreme court has seen fit to rectify the ban.

While the newly proposed gun laws in chicago are rather rediculous, they still allow for the average citizen to excercize their 2nd amendment rights should they choose to. thankfully i live outside the city of chicago and Daley has no effect on my rights at all.

the facts of the matter are Daley doesnt like guns and will exploit every oppertunity to further his antigun agenda as long as he is in power. the simplest solution is to remove his bloated but from office (todays news had is aproval rate in the 30% range).
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old July 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #63
jhenry

Have you ever actually read the Second Amendment? Do you really think this draconian set of circumstances set forth by Chicago does NOT infringe upon an individual's right to keep and bear arms?
Old July 19, 2010, 07:57 PM   #64
Dashunde

Too bad Chicago is stuck in the middle and wont slide off into the Pacific someday along with Kalifornia, we still might get lucky with New York and the Atlantic though, lol.
Seriously though, remember... its the citizens there that keep voting for those fools.
One deserves the other I suppose.

That discrimination based on eyesight is nice touch too. Those people make me sick. :barf:

Glad my sorry carcass is on the west side of the Miss, walking around under the Arch with my little LCP nice and legally snug in my pocket.
Old July 19, 2010, 08:07 PM   #65
NRALIFER

Maybe that's just it. The Gangstas keep him in office because he reduces the threat to them.
Old July 19, 2010, 08:10 PM   #66
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Filing an annual report. What does that mean? Any ideas?
Correct me if I'm right, but I take that to mean registering your gun every year.
Old July 19, 2010, 09:05 PM   #67
THORN74

jhenry...... yes i have read the 2nd amendment
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
as well as the Declaration, constitution, bill of rights and the remaining 11-27th amendments in their entirety. I exercise my rights (the 2nd especially) every day. I also hold my elected repesentitves to the yardstick that is our constituion every time i vote. Unfortunately, in this great system of ours, it is always the the govenment officials i DONT have a say in electing that seem to want to take away my rights. I dont live in the city limits of chicago, just a nearby suburb, so i cant vote for Daley's opposition to roust him out of office. on the plus side he also cant take away my precious rights either.

back to the topic, WE as law abiding citizens should have too much of a beef with appropriate regulation. That was after all the point of McDonald and the ruling handed down. Out right bans are unconstitutional, but reasonable restrictions/regulations are nessicary to prosicute criminals (notice i didnt say to keep guns away from criminals, as why would a criminal obey the law??).
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old July 19, 2010, 09:28 PM   #68
HKFan9

You honestly think those are REASONABLE? That is the biggest list of crap I have ever seen. I never thought PA was a good place to live until I was old enough to read gun rights. I can buy multiple guns on one 4473 form all day every day, not once a month. I do not have a magazine restriction, I do not have an approved firearms list. If I wan't to buy a sound suppressor or fully automatic, the right paperwork and a $200 tax gets me those.

Only really stupid gun law we have here in PA is I can't hunt with a semi-automatic rifle, not even a .22 for squirrels. :barf:

But if you think any of those restrictions are reasonable, you might as well move to Chicago and join the rest of the sheep. My heart goes out to the folks stuck there, but its appalling anyone on this form would say those are reasonable.
Old July 19, 2010, 09:29 PM   #69
44 AMP
Staff

OK, its compicated, onerous, and expensive.

And this is worse than a complete ban HOW?

Sure, they want to make legal ownership as difficult as they can, because they don't approve of private gun ownership. This should have been obivous from the total ban they were able to enact and maintain for many years.

Baby steps, people. We have to walk before we can run. At least now, we don't have to crawl. Suits will come, and even though the Mayor can spend the city even more bankrupt defending the law, I'm sure eventually it will be overturned. OF course, that may not be in our lifetime.
Old July 19, 2010, 09:51 PM   #70
Xfire68

This Mayor has lost his mind! He is known around these parts as Nutcase@ss Hole!

It makes me and everyone I know ill from even hearing him speak these days! The citizen of Chicago don't remember what it's like to defend themselves so they really don't even realize that there have been changes to there lives in resent months!

Being outside of the Windy I am able to enjoy my guns at least in the target shooting and home defense capacity but, we really need to follow along with the majority of the country and have a carry law! Please allow these citizens to be able to protect themselves! The gangs have taken over the City and many of the Burbs! We need real change to these rules and regs now! Not more BS from the career politicians!
Old July 19, 2010, 10:20 PM   #71
Wildalaska

I have changed my mind......

Those "Whereases" render the entire scheme unconstitutional.It wont even pass rational basis. A good trial lawyer will eat those alive and Daley is stuck with it.

WildyukyukAlaska TM
Old July 19, 2010, 10:56 PM   #72
ScottRiqui

Did the "one gun per household" rule actually make it into the final ordinance? I thought that part was left out.

EDIT - I guess it was included in a modified form, allowing multiple guns as long as there are trigger locks installed on all but one of them.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; July 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:00 PM   #73
THORN74

re reading the OP i find one portion very amusing:
Quote:
• Two identical passport-size photos taken in the last 30 days showing the person's full
face, head and shoulders
this is amusing because the Illinois State Police, which is the issuing body for the FOID card, use your IL drivers license photo which could possibly be up to 4-8 YEARS old. The State Police find ur DL pic to be acceptable, yet Daley and his idiot anti gun brigade want a photo no older than 30 days ???

hell, the state police wont even reissue you a new card for a change of address. you are required to notify them of the change, but they will only reissue a lost/stolen card or a new card upon renewal. man this is one messed up state!!
Old July 19, 2010, 11:27 PM   #74
nate45

• A valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Card issued by the State of Illinois
Since all firearms owners in IL are required to posses a FOID card, I don't see what is so onerous about that provision.
  • Two identical passport-size photos taken in the last 30 days showing the person's full face, head and shoulders
While not unreasonable for the purposes of Identification. It seems kind of redundant and silly to me, since ones photo would be on their DL and FOID card.
  • A valid Driver’s License, or if the resident doesn't possess one, a letter from a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist attesting that the applicant meets the minimum vision requirements to obtain an Illinois driver’s license
I'm not sure how that would hold up on an anti-discriminatory basis. Although being able to see at a certain level, certainly helps in target, identification and directing fire.
  • A signed affidavit from a firearms instructor approved in the State of Illinois stating that the applicant has completed a firearms safety and training course.
As others have noted in previous threads, this seems like an undue burden. If Chicago is not going to provide the instructors, nor allow ranges in the city limits.

All applicants must be at least 21 years old, or 18-20 years old with an eligible parents'
permission. Applicants cannot be convicted of any violent crime, have two or more offenses for
driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or under state law have been convicted of
domestic violence. Additionally, they must be fingerprinted and submit to a background check.

Why another background check? I thought thats why IL had FOID cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
And this is worse than a complete ban HOW?

Baby steps, people.
I agree with 44, things are better, way better and moving in the right direction. The situation went from no handguns, to one. LOL
Old July 20, 2010, 12:07 AM   #75
Xfire68

Quote:
I agree with 44, things are better, way better and moving in the right direction. The situation went from no handguns, to one. LOL
Things are wrong! Really wrong and need to change quickly! There are people dieing in the unprotected streets every day! The citizens can't protect themselves on the streets and the thugs know this! Heck they don't even care if you have a gun look what happened to the police officer that was in uniform cleaning out his new car yesterday!

Take a look at what is going on in this city! http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/