The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 12, 2002, 02:28 PM   #26
eyeballz

DR. Martin boots. 100% legal and reliable, and effective.

EBZ
Old September 12, 2002, 10:15 PM   #27
GSB

Empty can of soda: crimp the center and work it back and forth a few times to fatigue the metal, then rip the can in two. That metal edge is VERY sharp. You can palm the top/bottom of the can safely and use it as a nice slashing weapon.
Old September 13, 2002, 02:46 AM   #28
imadork

-- the overhead compartment doors or lavatory doors would make nice shields.
-- the oxygen tank or fire extinguisher would make nice impact weapons
-- lavatory faucets would make nice metal knuckles
-- airfone(tm) would make a great blackjack
-- bottles from the galley could be broken into shards
Old September 13, 2002, 10:32 AM   #29
Shodan

Zap 'em with the on-board defibulator.

Shodan
Old September 13, 2002, 10:12 PM   #30
CWL

Just came back from a trip where I had 3 carabiners clipped onto the outside of my day pack/carry-on luggage. Wasn't quesioned even once on the 4 separate planes I rode on, though I did have my shoes x-rayed twice.

They'd make good knuckledusters, or can be used to connect my leather belt to my cluster of keys for a flail weapon.
Old September 18, 2002, 09:18 AM   #31
CMichael

I'm not sure whether OTMG Jr. has a point or not, but the disrobing of the females is certainly worth a shot.<<

I agree, but the topic here is self-defense
Old September 18, 2002, 11:29 AM   #32
M1911

Quote:
I'm not sure whether OTMG Jr. has a point or not, but the disrobing of the females is certainly worth a shot.

I agree, but the topic here is self-defense
It certainly is. If my wife got wind of my trying that, I'd definitely be in need of self defense

M1911
Old September 18, 2002, 03:58 PM   #33
Bogie

Guys, airplanes are probably the safest places to be. Passengers have pretty much learned that a "victim" mentality will get them killed, and I suspect that the next "real" hijacker will end up in pieces.

HOWEVER, there are numerous "Unarmed Victim" zones that one may consider. Was at a mall the other day with the girlfriend. We were chatting, and I remarked that large public places with crowds made me nervous. She wondered why. I told her that there were too few entrances/exits, and that a half dozen terrorists with handheld weaponry could likely successfully herd the majority of the shoppers (a few hundred) into a central place, and kill a large number of 'em before the police even knew that they had a problem. I think she started thinking.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old September 19, 2002, 10:33 AM   #34
Gomez

I always have a flashlight with me, flying or not. One of the high speed SureFires works great as a distraction and as a pocket stick. And of course a bright blue or red MiniMagLite ($10 at a Wally World near you) was designed to work as a Kubaton and works very well as a pocket stick.

But, of course, what will always make the difference is your mindset, focused aggression and an absolute refusal to give up.

Someone once relayed a "mindset story" to me, they said it was an old Celtic tale. Anyway, the gist of it is this: The young, unbloodied soldier asked the old, battle hardened warrior "what was it like?", "How do you know what to do?" and hundreds of other questions. The old warrior responded, "Go into every battle having decided that if the enemy should cut off your head, you must pick up your head, tuck it under your arm, and destroy the one that did this to you."

Now, I've probably gotten the story a little wrong, but the message still comes through, I think. MINDSET. MINDSET. MINDSET.

Gomez
Old September 19, 2002, 12:16 PM   #35
M1911

On a serious note regarding disrobing females, remember that the a number of the terrorists that hijacked the planes on 9/11 hung around in nudie bars and drank alcohol. They would not have been any more distracted by a naked woman than you or I.

M1911
Old September 19, 2002, 01:14 PM   #36
fignozzle

Kydex knives???

I was at a gun show here in God's country over the weekend, and came across a bin full of one piece molded kydex knives, about 6 inches long, selling for 3 bucks apiece.
On closer examination, they had no really effective cutting edge (though you might be able to change that with a file or dremel), but the wicked spear-shaped point made them a very effective stabbing/gouging/ripping weapon.

When I saw them, I immediately thought of this post; since they are not metal, they'd go right through a detector/x-ray in a boot, planner, briefcase, or backpack.

Could work for the badguys, too...but hey, if everybody's carrying, the playing field's level, right?

Add the 'No Victims' mindset, and those BG's are in for a hell of a flight. Or fight. Or both.

Anybody else seen these?

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman
Old September 20, 2002, 11:57 AM   #37
Bogie

I'd have it coated with a good grade of lubricant, because if you get caught with it past the airport security zone...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old September 22, 2002, 04:52 PM   #38
vulcan

best weapon

Hi, Lots of interesting ideas, but I think the most effective weapon is realization of the situation & the consequences. You might get cut/injured but the alternatives are a lot worse. The first 2 plane's passengers & pilots thought it was a highjacking & acted according to the airline's policy( compliance). The third plane's passengers did the right thing knowing of the terrorist's intentions. The sheer numbers of unarmed strong willed people taking action is more effective than any improvised weapon in my opinion. nuke their ass take their gas!
Old September 23, 2002, 12:27 PM   #39
Justin

I always thought that an X-acto knife would be really easy to get onto a plane. Just fill a pocket of your carryon bag with lots of metallic pens/pencils, and then stick the X-acto in with them.
For added camouflage, you might even stick a metal pen-cap onto the X-acto.

GSB-
I was also thinking of the split soda can technique, too.

Of course, I think that Bogie is right. It's unlikely that there will be another series of hijackings that are as orchestrated as 9|11.

Assuming that there's a chance of another attack, it will be in a different way. Drizzt recently posted a link to an article that critiqued the Al Qaeda training tapes, and it seemed that they were gearing up more towards attacks in buildings, schools, banks, etc.
Old September 23, 2002, 02:17 PM   #40
Gomez

Since someone mentioned the al Qaeda training tape, I'll go ahead and toss this in; the review of the al Quaeda training tape that is making the rounds and is being attributed to everyone from "government alalysts" to "Army sources at Ft Benning" to "Mickey Mouse and the mousesketeers" was done by Mr. John Holschen of Insights Training Center (www.insightstraining.com). Holschen retired in '99 after a career in the US Army Special Forces. His critique of the tape has been making the rounds on the internet for some time and has recently been used in several news stories without attribution.

Here are a few links to the review:

http://blackwaterusa.com/btw/article...sions0715.html

http://www.staysafestreets.com/tip38.htm

https://mail.lsit.ucsb.edu/pipermail...ne/002891.html

Some give credit, some are silent and some claim the work is theirs.

Anyway, everyone should read John's assessment. Knowledge is power and forewarned is forearmed.
Old September 24, 2002, 05:45 AM   #41
illuminatus99

I like the idea of naked flight attendants. we should write to congress.
Old September 24, 2002, 09:59 AM   #42
pbarrick

My favorite carry-on weapons would be a pair of Doc Martin's and a Surefire E2e flashlight. You get a distraction device that doubles as an impact weapon and two shod feet to use for stomping/kicking.
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677
Old September 24, 2002, 02:31 PM   #43
wingnutx

I just got done flying across country, to my 2 weeks of active duty and back. The only thing they found questionable was a large socket in my carry-on(which would go into my extra pair of socks as a bashing implement), and I always had to have my jump boots x-rayed. I had several carabiners clipped to the handle & zipper of my bag. One screener thought that my welding helmet and gloves were riot-gear, which is pretty pathetic for anyone involved in security.

I was chosen for 'random' search on every single leg of my flights.

On my last leg, one of the flight crew came out of the cockpit and assisted the flight attendants.