The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2001, 12:14 AM   #1
fcompton

Several of the folks at the trap range have advised that they throw their 12 gauge hulls into the washer / dryer prior to reloading. Does anyone do so and why? Cosmetics or function?
Old March 16, 2001, 09:50 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Most likely function. I do not load a lot of shotshells as I do not shoot trap or skeet (never could find a way to cook em )but when I am hunting I try to pick all of my empties up and sometimes they get pretty muddy. I dont run em through the washer and dryer but I do wipe em clean with a wet cloth. It keeps the grit from getting into your loader and shotgun.
Old March 16, 2001, 04:25 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i've washed some before but not as a regular part of my process. i once got a bunch of AA's (about 5 skeet boxes full) and they had been sitting under a shelter-some were wet and just a mess. i put them in a mesh clothes bag with a small amount of soap. let them dry on a sheet or something and deprime as soon as possible because the primer can weld itself in the pocket if you're not careful. the ones i described above i deprimed before i washed. i had an old 12ga single stage that i used to deprime and was easy to clean up.

i also scrounge the trash cans as soon as i get to the range. This morning i got about 100 20 ga AA which got rained on last night so i'll be depriming them after while..Dick
Old March 16, 2001, 05:00 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you wash your hulls, just make certain that they don't have compressed paper base wads. There are still some hulls made with this type of base wad.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.