The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 24, 2013, 08:01 AM   #26
gaseousclay

for me it's money. guns are an expensive hobby and unless you're well to do going out and squandering your paycheck on a gun is a waste of money. i've got a family to support - guns take a backseat to my family
Old October 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #27
bill-may

lack of money. i have purchased mosin nagants by saving aluminum cans and bottles tho'. and now that royaltiger has SKS for $200 plus $13 shipping i been looking for more cans and bottles.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #28
Beagle45ACP

Being that I'm a college student, it's mostly a financial thing.
Well, and between my brother, my dad, and I, we've run out of room in the gun safe.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

Money, mostly. Being married with a daughter that just insists on eating every day has kind of cut into my fun budget. I have to admit, though, that even if I had plenty of money and space, I don't think I'd have a lot more guns. I have almost all of my gun needs met, and I tend to buy guns when they have a specific role to fill. Yes, fun at the range is a "specific role," but I rather enjoy taking my CC guns out for a day at the range, too.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:51 PM   #30
lee n. field

Quote:
So, what does keep you from owning more firearms? Is it purely a money thing, if you had more money would you buy more? Is it that you've set a mental limit on how many you want to own? (10,20,30... Etc?). Or maybe has your significant other "set a limit" for you? Or, are you just happy with what you own and don't feel the need for anymore? I'm sure there's a lot of other potential reasons too.

For me, the only reason I don't own more than I do now, is because of money. If I had a lot more money then without a doubt I would own MANY more than I do now. Also, every gun I own doesn't have to have a practical purpose necessarily either, it's more for the novelty and fun of having it.
Money, and the desire to avoid covetousness.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 24, 2013, 04:15 PM   #31
shortwave

I've already got more guns then I have money.

Get tired of pulling the routine maintenance on the guns I have.

The only gun I've had my eye on lately is the new Ruger .22 carbine with the laser stock and rails but would rather have an older Ruger .22 carbine and install the new laser stock.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:45 PM   #32
curt.45

I divorced the wife. and the guns I want either I cant afford or they dont make anymore/yet
Old October 24, 2013, 06:47 PM   #33
PeteApps

Money is the issue. Still have to pay off the credit cards...
Old October 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #34
kilimanjaro

If I win the lottery, you can bet the local gun shops and show dealers will say "Thank you, Jesus", when they see me walk in, and delegate their first-born children as gunbearers to carry the goods out to my car.
Old October 24, 2013, 09:44 PM   #35
SC4006

Quote:
If I win the lottery, you can bet the local gun shops and show dealers will say "Thank you, Jesus", when they see me walk in, and delegate their first-born children as gunbearers to carry the goods out to my car.
That is EXACTLY what I would do too!

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:18 PM   #36
ripnbst

What keeps you from buying/owning more firearms?

My salary.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:32 PM   #37
KyJim

We moved a few months ago and the wife got to see the full extent of my years of accumulation when we moved. She just doesn't understand.

Two kids in college, soon to be out (hopefully). I have also promised myself to buy a new safe before any new guns. The current safe is overflowing.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #38
Jay24bal

$$

Purely a money thing for me.

Between the mortgage and student loans (with the latter actually being MORE than the former), along with planning to start a family shortly and all the other bills that come along in life, I just have other places my money needs to be spent/saved.

That said, I feel like I have enough guns to cover all my "needs." Now, whether that particular gun is the best suited for that particular role is a different question and that is what I will be addressing in the future as I acquire more. But in the mean time I have my bases covered:

1. HD weapon/nightstand gun
2. CCW for both the wife and I
3. 1 gun for each type of game I pursue
4. A handful of range toys/paper punchers

Add to that the fact that I reload, and decisions just need to be made about what will be the best bang for my buck. Do I stock up on a thousand of each bullet I use for reloading and be set for the next 8-12 months, or do I take that $600 and get the G20 I have had my eyes on for a while?

My LGS will love me if the day ever comes that a windfall comes my way.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 24, 2013, 11:33 PM   #39
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've made some pretty good choices over the years concerning gun purchase's I think. Basically I'm satisfied with what I have. As I really haven't had a overwhelming urge to buy a new weapon for quite some time._
Old October 25, 2013, 12:57 AM   #40
RBid

What keeps you from buying/owning more firearms?

Money and priorities.

As my firearms journey has progressed, I've become a lot less focused on hardware. I don't really care to own many more handguns. What I would LOVE is to have enough time and money to go around the country getting training from guys like DeFoor and Vickers.
Old October 25, 2013, 03:16 AM   #41
Theohazard

My answer is the same as most others'; money. That, and time. Even if I had plenty of money to buy more guns, at some point it would be somewhat pointless because I barely have enough to time to shoot the guns I have now.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:49 AM   #42
rebs

I am pretty happy with what I have now and consider myself lucky to have the guns I have. Being a disabled vet on a fixed income doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of money. But I make ends meet and reload to keep the cost of ammo down. The local gun shop has a law away plan and that has helped me buy the ones I have, other than a couple that were left to me by my Dad.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:02 AM   #43
dook

mainly because I am trying to buy a house/small farm, but if it doesn't go through again this year I may do some credit building gun purchases. Another big one is I have a hard time justifying getting another one. I have only purchased 1 gun (my EDC) but own an absolute ton of them, I have almost all of the guns from both sides of the family. 6 shotguns, 4 22 rifles, and 10 assorted pistols.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:58 AM   #44
doofus47

Have what I need.
Keeping myself limited to an 10 rifle safe has been very good for my focus.
Big game rifle
antelope/deer stopper (BiL rifle, if need be)
varmint rifle
shtf rifle
Arisaka (backup big game rifle)
22 bolt action for kids
biathlon rifle for me
muzzle loader
dad's shotgun

Pistols:
A city carry/A woods carry
22 for plinking
Old October 25, 2013, 11:13 AM   #45
JerryM

Need. Why buy something to just keep in the safe or shoot on the range every now and then.
I was taught, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
"Save at least 10% of your gross income for the long term."
That has worked well for me, and I have never had to do without anything I really wanted. Retirement is very comfortable.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:32 PM   #46
jimbob86

Quote:
Why buy something to just keep in the safe or shoot on the range every now and then.
I was taught, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
"Save at least 10% of your gross income for the long term."
That has worked well for me, and I have never had to do without anything I really wanted. Retirement is very comfortable.
If you saved your money and keep it in cash...... it's purchasing power is rotting away at a rapid pace.

If you saved your money and put it in the wrong stocks, it might well be totally worthless.

The value of a gun in the safe, measured in dollars, is far above what it was 10 years ago. A dollar, measured in what you can buy with it, ain't worth much.

Think about it: 10 years ago, you could buy a new Ruger GP100 for 1/2 of what you can now. 22lr was what? $10-12/brick of 500? Now it's $19.99/325..... if you can find it at all .......
Old October 25, 2013, 06:26 PM   #47
Warrior1256

Money, otherwise I would own MANY more firearms.
Old October 26, 2013, 01:43 AM   #48
L_Killkenny

I'm sure there is another gun or two I would buy if money wasn't an object but a few years ago I started a quality not quantity phase and it never really let go. Sold off a bunch, I'm fine with a handful.
Old October 26, 2013, 05:04 AM   #49
ejfalvo

I have enough. As it is, I don't have time (or local place) to shoot as often as I want. If I continue to buy, they sit in the safe - unused and under appreciated.
Old October 26, 2013, 05:41 AM   #50
Esox

Every firearm I have fills a specific need. All of my specific needs are filled. IE I can't justify having two 20ga semi autos when I can only carry one in the woods.