The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 17, 2012, 12:15 PM   #26
PH/CIB

The 10/22 is a great rifle. I have one with a laminated stock and stainless barrel, one with a regular stock and stainless barrel and two with custom stocks and heavy barrels. However that does not mean I don't like or enjoy my Marlin, Mossberg, CZ, 22 rifles for example and someday I will buy a Thompson Center.

My favorite 22 rifle is the Browning semi auto and the old no longer manufactured Winchesters and Remingons.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old June 17, 2012, 12:25 PM   #27
bulldawg1024

I have a ruger 10/22 and love it. I also have a S&W ar22 and it is awesome. Not sure which one I like better at this point.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:11 PM   #28
rivertamer

Relatively speaking it is great.... For the money.
But my SW 15-22 and my Sig p522 run great and are just as accurate as my Ruger..... They just look cooler and are great practice for shooting my ar15 .... On a budget. Lol

Sent from my tricked out Synergy Evo!
Old June 18, 2012, 04:17 AM   #29
Kevin5.56

S&W 15-22

I second the S&W 15-22. Great gun, especially to familiarize new or younger shooters with the AR platform for later when 22LR becomes a little mundane and they want to step it up a bit
Old June 18, 2012, 06:48 AM   #30
zincwarrior

Quote:
I dont really care what some biased article said 10 yrs ago. Nor do I care what the haters say.
Haters? I am disappoint.

Quote:
There is alot more to good groups than the rifle. Some folks can shoot and some folks think they can.
I guess thats a true statement.

Quote:
For the money I dont think there is a better rifle out there. As I found out when I bought that POS mossberg, you get what you pay for. I will stick with my Rugers.
I am glad you like your Rugers. I have a few myself.
Old June 21, 2012, 12:54 PM   #31
jmstr

I appreciate the 10/22 for all the fun stuff you can do with it. You can buy aftermarket barrels to make it as good as the micro-groove barrels in the Marlin .22lr rifles [60/795/70s], or possibly better. You can improve the trigger beyond the Marlin trigger [I am not saying the Marlin trigger is great, but it works fine for me]. You can change the stock to an AR-15 type, a Dragunov type, or a bunch of other types of stocks on the 10/22. Heck, you can buy 2 10/22s and make a mini-gatling gun from them!

Or, you can buy a Marlin for less money than the 10/22 and have an advantage in potential accuracy out of the box.

Some love the detachable magazines for .22lr rifles. If it is a field/carry gun, I prefer not to have a mag stick out below the stock itself, so I like the tube-fed Marlins better.

I also live in California. As such, I can only run a 10-round magazine in the 10/22. However my Marlin Model 60 and my Marlin Model 39a both hold at least 14 rounds, and I think one holds 16 or 17 rounds. That is legal in a tube-fed rifle here. I would go to jail for a 14-round detachable magazine.

Best? For me it isn't a Ruger.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ruger products. I have 5 ruger pistols. That is 2 more than any other company's products I own. That is how much I like them. But, I don't use rifles as much. So I have my family pass-down rifles and the 2 .22lr I bought: both Marlins.

To qualify a rifle as 'best', the specific mission/role of the rifle needs to be identified. Cheapest? Most Accurate? Most customizable? Easiest to carry in the field? Most Reliable? Fewest moving parts? Most accessories available? Highest resale value? Most sales made?

Being limited to 10 rounds I see no reason for a 10/22 for myself or any of my friends.

I do appreciate the speed at which you can reload a magazine-fed rifle, but I will be using a Saiga .308 or some other magazine-fed rifle in a fire-fight: not a .22lr weapon.

But, for range fun I do use a speedloader for my Marlins: Spee-D-Loader
Old June 21, 2012, 04:26 PM   #32
a7mmnut

No thanks. Never liked them, never will. Grips and groups are both too big. Marlin or Savage for me. If you want nice, get a Kimber. My favorite is actually an Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun.

-7-