The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 15, 2011, 12:13 AM   #1
brmfan

Which CCW holster when 'geared up'?

For those that CC during winter hunting season, which holster/ carry method do you think works best with winter gear (bibs, parka etc)? I find a Glock 23 across my chest under my parka (in the snap down bib pouch) works for me, but I can't seem to find an actual holster! I'd like something more secure across the chest than a pocket, so what would you suggest?
Old April 15, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Doc Intrepid

There are a couple options you might consider, both of which have worked well for me.

The first might get you some odd looks, but it works well. I bought an older tactical nylon thigh rig from Eagle - I ordered it with a flap over the handle. The thing about the drop thigh rig is that I could wear a Cabelas parka over my sweater, and the pistol was still accessible on my thigh - an inch or so beneath the hem of the mountain parka.

I ordered the flap holster because at the time I was hunting in Colorado above 8000' feet altitude, and there was often snow or rain happening - the flap kept most of the moisture off the pistol. http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php?cat=2

This was quite a few years ago, however, Eagle is a good company and if you call them up they'll work with you to produce what you're looking for. Their nylon stuff lasts forever. I have some that is still viable more than 20 years after i bought it.

The second option is one of the newer Blackhawk Sherpa kydex/polymer holsters, which is what I use now. (I'm hunting in the Pacific Northwest at a much lower altitude now.)

I carry your basic Colt gov't model .45 in one of the Blackhawk Serpa rigs. They're basically infinitely adjustable, I carry crossdraw to keep the pistol away from the rifle stock, but you can adjust it any way you like. They come in either black or desert coyote. Just get a pistol belt large enough to wear over whatever thermal layers you routinely wear, and the Blackhawk Serpa weighs next to nothing but holds the pistol securely. http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/holsters,16.htm

My youngest son used one of these the entire time he was deployed to Afghanistan, and he was so impressed with it that he got one for me when he returned. I use it each time I"m in the field now - utterly reliable piece of gear. (IMHO)

Your mileage may vary, but these techniques have worked for me. (I'm not as concerned about "concealment" while hunting, but if you are then obviously select the option that conceals your handgun...)

Doc
Old April 15, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3
GeauxTide

I carry a 44 or 45 caliber Ruger in an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Cross Draw. Stays out of the way walking or sitting in stand or car.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Mobuck

I seriously question the need for CC while hunting but if that's your choice, my suggestion would be either a shoulder or across the chest holster. I occasionally carry a 6" Ruger GP100 in a shoulder holster under my outer coat on the chance of getting a close shot on a meat deer but it basically requires a bigger size coat and is more difficult to draw than a belt holster. It's easier for me to carry an across the chest rig on the outside of my regular hunting coat.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I carry a S&W 686 in a Bianchi OWB under my hunting jacket and bibs. Works well enough for me. Legally I guess it might be considered CCW, but I simply consider it a sidearm.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
kenno

Geared-up?
One on the hip
One under the armpit
One behind the back
One in the boot
A rifle
Stryker
radio
etc
Old April 21, 2011, 10:36 PM   #7
IowaYoungGun

A good shoulder rig with a connecting strap will work wonders. A leg drop would be my last option.