The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2010, 01:15 AM   #1
suzukibruce

going shopping

well through all the research and information gathered from this site i still have a few questions. i'm going out tomarrow to get powder, wads, caps etc. i know if i'm using ball to get .454 and that i can do conical ball, but can .45 sabots be used in revolvers? the jacket doesnt actually touch the barrel so it on that point it should be ok but is .45 caliber sabots the same true outside diameter as conicals? i'm probably not doing the conversion since it appears no matter what i got with weather it be .45 colt or .45 acp i still can't just go to wally world and pick up ammo... so ill stay with the bp and load it the way my dear sweet remmy is meant to be... unless anyone thinks .454 casul would be a cool idea and does a conversion cylinder for that...lol...
Old May 18, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
RemTim

Code:
...so ill stay with the bp and load it the way my dear sweet remmy is meant to be..
Me too, SB. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:49 PM   #3
RemTim

Code:
my dear sweet remmy
Sounds like true love to me.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:07 PM   #4
suzukibruce

you know it... kinda funny i have been wearing it around the house since i got it just to get used to the feel of a cannon on my hip again (i used to carry a .45 hipoint when i warked as an armed guard) big diferance between the .32 and this beast... anyway to the point, i fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up 7am wrapped in a blanket with the remmy still in it's holster on my hip...lol... my girlfriend made a comment about me sleeping with my gun and not her...lol...
Old May 18, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
suzukibruce

i just remembered, remtim does your '71 say "black powder only" on the barrel? mine doesn't... just curious...
Old May 18, 2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Fiv3

I feel ya, SB.

I'm used to carrying my little G36 or a snubbie, but I rather like the feel of this heavy ol' '58 in a shoulder rig. Not the best for T-shirt weather, but with a light over-shirt she hides just fine. I too fell asleep with mine on me last night in front of the TV

I plan on making this my woods set up for when we go to the cabin to back up the ol' shotgun
Old May 18, 2010, 03:39 PM   #7
suzukibruce

thats my exact plan i went out to my camp the weekend before last and there were two bears right by the camper so this is going to be my "hold them off till i get to the camper and grab the shotgun" gun. and for when i go fishing or just around, like i said before the old revolvers don't scare mommy and daddy libral as much as say a glock or ruper p89... plus with all the controversy over right to carry it is still "just" black powder and not a gun as per legal definition...
Old May 18, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8
DustyBottoms

Quote:
unless anyone thinks .454 casul would be a cool idea and does a conversion cylinder for that
.454 Casull is a HOT load!
I think that bullet would probably blow a BP pistol completely apart.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:13 PM   #9
RemTim

Quote:
remtim does your '71 say "black powder only" on the barrel? mine doesn't... just curious...
Sanded off perhaps.
Don't feel bad, I sleep with both of my Lymans.One under my pillow, one just under the edge of the bed, unless I am the only human in the bed, then they are snuggled up to me.Happiness really is a warm gun, bliss is two or more.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:27 PM   #10
suzukibruce

doesnt look like it may have been, the rest if the markings are still there... weird... the ubrti symbol with .44 cal lyman on top and made in italy on the right... hmmmm? got me
Old May 18, 2010, 06:12 PM   #11
RemTim

I'm sure someone here has had some experience with non existent black powder only stamps.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:37 PM   #12
CajunPowder

Walin' around nekkid' with a gun on.

So ... members of this board are walking around nekkid' with guns on?

Did Jesus mean for it to go THAT FAR? !
Old May 18, 2010, 10:19 PM   #13
RemTim

Code:
Did Jesus mean for it to go THAT FAR? !
I most confess that I practice my draw in the raw from time to time. On the day of my final judgment by the Lord of Hosts, if He decides to cast me away from His sight for eternity or obliterate my consciousness into oblivion, I think it would be for sins of greater magnitude. My highest hope is Io have the honor of being under His command in His ultimate battle with the suppressive elements on this planet.
I think the Bible suggests that Christ will be literally become the Wrath of God at the end of days. A Righteous executioner? Could the rod of iron be a weapon?? After all, He will be going to war.........
From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. Revelation 19:15
........and He will not be alone:
Come, gather around for the great banquet of God, 19:18 to eat your fill of the flesh of kings, the flesh of generals, the flesh of powerful people, the flesh of horses and those who ride them, and the flesh of all people, both free and slave, and small and great!” 19:19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to do battle with the one who rode the horse and with his army. 19:20
It sounds like Christ and His army are going to kick some ass. If you are in His service, I hope to be by your side.
Maybe He will provide some form of eternal ammo for my Remmies, so I can just keep right on pulling the triggers.(LOL)

Last edited by RemTim; May 20, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wording error
Old May 20, 2010, 04:08 PM   #14
RemTim

r
Quote:
emtim does your '71 say "black powder only" on the barrel? mine doesn't... just curious...
Bruce, I never did answer your question. Mine does have the Black Powder Only stamp on it. I wish it didn't.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:53 PM   #15
SirBustaCap

Interesting topic there Cajun Powder and RemTim. It seems relevant to the forum since there is a lot of talk of battles and wars here.
Quote:
Come, gather around for the great banquet of God, 19:18 to eat your fill of the flesh of kings, the flesh of generals, the flesh of powerful people, the flesh of horses and those who ride them, and the flesh of all people, both free and slave, and small and great!” 19:19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to do battle with the one who rode the horse and with his army. 19:20
Would the moderator would allow a thread on this topic?
Old May 21, 2010, 12:03 AM   #16
RemTim

BustaCap, I shouldn't have strayed so far off topic. I doubt it would be a topic suitable for discussion here anyway. I should have left it alone.
SB, I didn't mean to inject religion into your thread.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:19 PM   #17
RemTim

Quote:
i know if i'm using ball to get .454 and that i can do conical ball,
Conical balls seems to be a good choice. It would seem to decrease accuracy, but not enough to matter for defense purposes. Wouldn't conical balls be a better choice than round for defense? Seems like prelubing the conical balls (if they would hold more lube due to design?) would work well as an alternative to using wads.
Just out of curiosity, is it true the switching c&b cylinders and conversion cylinders back and forth causes a misshapen hand resulting in timing issues? Seems like the misshapen hand could damage the cylinders also.
Of course, if you had two hands the problem would be eliminated, care would be have to be taken not to mix them up.

Last edited by RemTim; May 22, 2010 at 01:39 PM.