The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2009, 01:35 PM   #1
mike6567

H4381 for .300 Win

I am starting to load for my sendero in .300 win mag. With powder availability limited it kind of cuts down my option. I would like to use IMR 4350 but haven't been able to find any. I keep reading on forums that H4381 is a really good powder for the .300. I am trying to work up a load for 180 gr Accubonds but in my Nosler reloading manual it does not give an option for that powder in any of the 180 gr bullets. The only bullets it has load data with that powder is the 125 gr and 200 gr. I have been reading online that a lot of people use this powser for 180 gr partitions and accubonds. Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to why Nosler left this powder out if so many people are having good luck with it.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
W. C. Quantrill

The powder company loading data is your friend.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Nosler and the other bullet makers sell bullets, not powder. The books are written by their shooter, and you get their personal prejudices. If you look at Hornady, or Speer, or Sierra, you will get different info.

Check the above site from the powder people.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
mike6567

I just checked out the hodgdon site and they don't show h4831 for 180gr partition or accubond either. I find it hard to believe that it's not a good powder for those bullets though. Anybody have load data for this combo? I am going to try RL22 in the meantime.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
dardascastbullets

Hi Mike,

I would highly recommend using R22. I had great success with it shooting long range competition with it and Sierra 190's.