The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Photo big axis buck

This is my buddy's son named Austin. He recently hunted this trophy deer at a Texas exotic game ranch.

Axis deer are native to India and Ceylon but thriving across the southern tier of USA, Hawaiian Islands, and Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore, California. Amazingly, cost to hunt trophy axis is about half the cost to hunt mule deer in Wyoming.
Jack
Old November 23, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A buddy of mine moved to a little village near Leakey, Texas. The Axis deer have gotten loose from the game ranches in that part of the state, and range wherever they want. They're non-native, so no hunting laws pertain other than having a license.

He commented that it was sorta neat to be able to shoot any time of the day or night, any time of the year. And, even better, from the back window in the kitchen.

After some reflection about it, he commented, "But, ya know, it just wouldn't seem right if I didn't lie down alongside to gut him."

Art
Old November 24, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

So they're readily successful when they escape eh? Dadgum, those are some long horns - very nice trophy!