The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 18, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
DubC-Hicks

Budget ACOG style scope

Hey guys, I just built an M16a4 style rifle and am looking for a scope for it. I can't swing the money for a real acog, and I realize I get what I pay for. I'm just wondering if there are any good fixed magnification optics to be had in the <$250 range. I've been looking at the Nikon fixed 3x, the Primary Arms 3x scope, and the itac defense 3x mostly. Which is best out of these, and are there any other good ones out there that I am missing?

I also see the FM Optics 4x and Aim 4x prismatics, but I can't find any reviews on them.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Skadoosh

I went with the Burris AR332. Its not an ACOG...but its pretty close and in some ways better (I prefer the Burris reticle). Very good optics. I torture tested mine and it proved to be quite rugged. Costs about $315 bucks +shipping on Amazon.

I removed the rails from my scope.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEUPEE/...SIN=B002QEUPEE
Old November 18, 2012, 08:39 PM   #3
JimDandy

You can get a Strikefire with swing out magnifier for about 500... same basic effect as an Acog, that takes up a little more room on your upper but provides a little more flexibility too...
Old November 19, 2012, 11:00 AM   #4
dayman

Vortex makes a couple quality red dots in that range.
I have the Sparc on my brush gun and have never had any issues with it.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Skadoosh

...nevermind.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

Skadoosh, how is the eye relief on the Burris? I was trying to decide between that and the Primary Arms 3x, but it seems like they are the exact same scope. Is the Burris any better?
Old November 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Skadoosh

The main difference between the scopes is that the Burris is made in the Philippines and the PA is made in China (the Burris mount is made in China...I went with a LaRue QD mount).

The PA scope also has a different reticle, and only one color illumination.

The Burris is GTG. The eye relief is excellent. The optics are clear edge to edge and the adjustments are fine and precise. I am very happy with mine.

Two things I do not like about either scope:

I do not like that the illuminated reticle is visible from the front of the scope. But I rarely ever use the illumination.

I also do not like the goofy rails on the scope. I removed the rails from mine.

Burris also make an ARD for the AR332 but I prefer to use the shade tube.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
DubC-Hicks

Is the eye relief good enough that I could mount it in front of a flip BUIS?
Old November 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Skadoosh

That depends on where you place your cheek-weld on your stock. The eye relief on the Burris is listed at a full 3.5"...in my experience, it is more like 3.75" to almost 4".

On a carbine with a collapsible buttstock, I tend to put the tip of my nose right up to and just touching the charging handle. In that instance, the eye relief will work just fine with the scope mounted just in front of a fold-down BUIS.

However, for a full-length rifle with a fixed stock, I tend to place my cheek-weld further back...about half way along the stock. Because of this, I found that I needed to go without a BUIS and attached the scope back further to decrease the eye relief. I went with the LaRue LT681 QD mount, which brought the scope back far enough to exactly where I wanted it to be for the best eye relief.

I keep my BUIS in the buttstock compartment of my rifle in case the scope ever gets taken out of action...which I seriously doubt will happen unless it is rolled over by a tank.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Skadoosh

BTW...the LaRue LT681 QD is a solid mount. They make good equipment.

Being the world's worst skeptic, I tested the "return to zero" claim that LaRue makes with their detachable mounts. Out to a true 100 yards, I was surprised to find that my zero was spot on before and after the scope was removed and remounted three times. It helps to have an upper with rails that are spec.

(I have video of it on a thumbdrive somewhere....I'll see if I can still find it.)
Old November 21, 2012, 06:35 PM   #11
DubC-Hicks

Thanks, I will definitely keep an eye out for one of these.