The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 27, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1
ocharry

old 22 Sauer

hi guys,,i have this old J.P.Sauer large frame 22,,,i think the gun is made from some kind of aluminum with steel sleeves in the cylinder and barrel

anyway it got out of time and when i took it apart at first i thought the hand was chipped or the corner was broken off,,so i search around and found a new one,,when i put it in it did push the cylinder farther around but still not quite to lock up

well while i'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's really wrong i get to looking at the cylinder and wonder if the ratchet could have moved on the end of the cylinder,,,it is made a lot like a colt with a steel liner through the cylinder,,,but the part that has the ratchet on it is also pressed into the cylinder,,,,and it looks like it should be more than a press fit.....

the part that has the ratchet on it is pressed into the aluminum and i think it is or should be pined to keep it in time,,,,but on this one the ratchet can turn inside the cylinder letting it get out of time,,,,,it is snug but it will move

so i have it back in time but i am thinking on how to keep it from turning again

i was thinking of putting a pin through the two parts but maybe there is a better way????

any other ideas from you guys???

ocharry
Old July 27, 2008, 05:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hard to say without seeing the gun. I know those guns have the liners, but never looked at the ratchet to see how it is put in.

It might be possible to drill a hole half in the ratchet and half in the cylinder and insert a pin, but that would have to be done in a milling machine with a stub drill, or else the drill will wander into the soft metal.

Jim
Old July 28, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
ocharry

thanks for the reply jim,,,what you are saying is exactly what i was thinking of doing,,,except i was going to use a end mill instead of a stub drill,,,there is a hole in the ratchet but i can't tell if it had a pin in it and it fell out or what it is for,,, and the print for the gun doesn't show this piece as a separate partor how it's put in

you are right too in it will have to be done in a milling machine and that is not a problem

anyone else???

ocharry
Old July 28, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If there is a hole in the ratchet, it is probably for a pin to keep the ratchet from turning. If it looks like a pin in there would serve the purpose, I would use it and not bother trying to drill another hole. A pin should not need to be hardened if it is only to keep the ratchet from turning - a piece of a nail should do the trick.

Jim